Login

russian armor

[1v1] [Ost] Trying to understand what I'm doing wrong

14 Mar 2020, 23:39 PM

Hello!
Me and my friends recently decided to start playing coh2, but we're getting wrecked, for now I've mostly played 3v3 against AI, and after series of frustrating defeats against hard AI we decided to give multi a try...and as expected we're getting completely destroyed. So I've decided to start playing 1v1 in order to improve, but I'm not sure what I have to improve.

In this game I feel like I've had pretty strong early game, but as soon as my opponent started building bofors, and soon got tanks I felt completely lost without any idea how to counter that. I've tried some tanks pushes but as soon as I attacked some point, I was swarmed with inf or tanks. Also I'm curious how bad I'm for a ~60 hours player (sarcasm)

14 Mar 2020, 23:45 PM

This might sound like odd advice, but what really helped me before starting 1v1s was watching a bunch of GCS2 games, which game me a general idea of how 1v1 works and I kind of got a head start in my first few games. I also recommend you find some experienced friends and play with them a lot, that helped me tremendously as well when I was a noob.

Edit: I don't mean you should watch GCS2 games specifically, there’s plenty of recent footage.
15 Mar 2020, 03:32 AM

1v1 and 3v3 are different modes of play. But 3v3 is the closest to 1v1.

3v3 you use all of your units as one big unit and spearhead into the enemy. Since your team mates will be capturing points. Understanding distances and sight is more important.

Most of a 1v1 match, you need to be able to micro multiple units at the same time and watch the minimap constantly. You move your units in a spread out pattern taking points, but never too far from each other so you can combine them when you attack. Late game becomes more of a spearhead type situation.

3v3 maps are usually just rush the fuel and start fighting. 1v1 maps have a stronger meta. Certain 1v1 maps have some flaw that you try to abuse all game long. Like a strong building or green cover on the enemy cutoff.

As StormJager said watching games is a great thing. You can spectate games in COH2 and sort by rank. Watch the highest ranks. The lower the ranks go the more you will see idle units not doing anything for long periods of time. If a high level player really needs to micro ONE thing, they will make sure their other units are safe first.

Each mode has a rhythm where strong units take the field. In a 1v1 the time is longer so you make more mobile infantry etc before your vehicles hit.

However, team games have many issues like asshole team mates and droppers. So 1v1 is funner if you dont mind getting rekt all the time while you get better.

Personally I would play 3v3 or something and then graduate to 1v1. 1v1 is the hardest mode. You have to memorize the faction metas, map metas, retreat paths, and what your enemy is building. 3v3 and 4v4 at lower ranks is more straight forward. Just make units and attack the fuel.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★