Login

russian armor

Infantry Movement

9 Nov 2013, 06:17 AM

The Cinematic effect of infantry models seeking cover as they move is certainly one of much controversy.

The Point of this post is to address tactical movement as it is in COH2. Sincerely I feel that utilizing these formations based on terrain constraints would alleviate many issues currently available.

I know many of you from all around the world but the formations as presented are known as the Wedge and the Ranger File. Both of these formations are tactical and Wedge will be the preferred movement method unless terrain severely restricts movement in which the ranger file will be preferred. This will allow units in motion to receive less indirect fire and reduce German Casualties to mines. I believe the way units hold in cover needs work but will not be addressed in this post. Sincerely I feel that this would be a far more controllable and stable infantry movement pattern. Sorry for the weak as paint JPEG.

9 Nov 2013, 06:34 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Here's the problem, though- infantry in COH2 seem to wait for the slowest man in the squad, instead of the slower man running up ahead- leading to the stop-start movement you might already have noticed.
If the infantry squad has to re-align into formation every time it shifts direction, or if a bit of terrain disrupts the man at the corner of the formation, would it not lead to a lot of delay as the entire squad would have stop to wait for the last man to leave, then re-join the formation?

Having said that though, squad formations are interesting, and with a squad leader up ahead would add quite a bit of visual flair, not to mention the added advantage as you said of having less bunched up squads ready to be one-shot by explosives.
9 Nov 2013, 06:37 AM

I like your points, but the thing is with the way those infantry move about objects, cover, and other units, means those formations will last for about two steps after hitting the field or starting to move position.

It doesn't matter how nice a wedge they form, that piece of green cover that's also on fire is going to become a very valuable piece of real estate after the squad leader flinches in the direction of their objective.
9 Nov 2013, 06:37 AM

Here's the problem, though- infantry in COH2 seem to wait for the slowest man in the squad, instead of the slower man running up ahead- leading to the stop-start movement you might already have noticed.
If the infantry squad has to re-align into formation every time it shifts direction, or if a bit of terrain disrupts the man at the corner of the formation, would it not lead to a lot of delay as the entire squad would have stop to wait for the last man to leave, then re-join the formation?

Having said that though, squad formations are interesting, and with a squad leader up ahead would add quite a bit of visual flair, not to mention the added advantage as you said of having less bunched up squads ready to be one-shot by explosives.

You are absolutely correct and it would truly be difficult to implement. I agree that the last man should run to catch up or not slow the advance of his fellow squad mates.

I like your points, but the thing is with the way those infantry move about objects, cover, and other units, means those formations will last for about two steps after hitting the field or starting to move position.

It doesn't matter how nice a wedge they form, that piece of green cover that's also on fire is going to become a very valuable piece of real estate after the squad leader flinches in the direction of their objective.

This does make it difficult to control and more easily exploited however squad members preferring formation could cause the 2 members that would contact with the object to file behind their closest squad mate as you truly do when there is an obstacle on the field. I know this would be hard to field but it would feel much more real than my grens/conscripts diving behind cover just outside my base 40 seconds into the game lol.
9 Nov 2013, 06:40 AM

Srsly. That drives me insane. Nothing is more irritating than idle units you've already given commands to.
9 Nov 2013, 06:58 AM

This is implemented in RTS. I think Age of empires had something like this.

The infantry can switch between wedge and file. However, there is a problem here: The size of squads is tiny anyway (4 or 6) so the actual use of file is not always certain. Developers will be lazy...
9 Nov 2013, 07:23 AM
Patrion 14

Srsly. That drives me insane. Nothing is more irritating than idle units you've already given commands to.

agreed, this needs work
9 Nov 2013, 08:20 AM

Did Relic ever implement the feature where as infantry vet up, they spread out farther from each other?
9 Nov 2013, 08:50 AM
Patrion 14

Good question, dont think so though, also hope that they dont. Waiting for the slowest guy and the whole find cover, clump up before retreat would be even more frustrating.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★