Login

russian armor

Overpowered Maxim Video Evidence

PAGES (7)down
7 Nov 2013, 20:28 PM

Maxims are not overpowered, easiest way to counter them is by getting a mortar or by going double mortar if he spams them like crazy, especially in 2v2. Since the German mortar has an increased fire rate maxims get taken out of buildings and while set up easily as the crew is pretty bunched up. A similar way to deal with maxims would be using the fht or by just spamming riflenades. I've tried maxims in both 1v1 and 2v2 and I can say without a doubt that they aren't as OP as some people say they are.
7 Nov 2013, 20:31 PM

Permanently Banned
@VonIvan:
Yus. But what about MG42s?
Do you think they are performing their more defensive-style function up to scratch?
7 Nov 2013, 20:34 PM

Maxims are fine, L2P. That's the only possible response I can have to that video. 2 riflenades force it to retreat, and it cant pin 2 flankers at once. Add in FHTs, ACs, snipers, mortars and rampaging PGrens and T1-2 has every counter you could possibly need.

MG42s could use a small suppression boost, they take too long to make conscripts drop as it is. But they sure as hell don't need to go back to the instant pin machine of yore. Porting the VCOH values (if it can be done) could work, but let's remember that game doesn't have Ooorah.

I also think any buffing of german tier 1 needs a slight nerf to grenadiers to compensate. But that's another topic.
7 Nov 2013, 20:37 PM

Maxims are not overpowered, easiest way to counter them is by getting a mortar or by going double mortar if he spams them like crazy, especially in 2v2. Since the German mortar has an increased fire rate maxims get taken out of buildings and while set up easily as the crew is pretty bunched up. A similar way to deal with maxims would be using the fht or by just spamming riflenades. I've tried maxims in both 1v1 and 2v2 and I can say without a doubt that they aren't as OP as some people say they are.

mortar can work against them but in my experience its mostly psychological , since it will force the maxim to move regardless if it hits ( cause even with LOS artillery seems random ) and thus allow the rest of your units to flank it
7 Nov 2013, 20:44 PM

@VonIvan:
Yus. But what about MG42s?
Do you think they are performing their more defensive-style function up to scratch?

MG42s are a tough subject for me. Sometimes they operate up to par, other times not so much. Whenever I have them setup on an open playing field, i.e. moscow outskirts, I usually am able to suppress two conscript squads coming at me head on, however if I'm getting flanked at the same time it's difficult to suppress the flanking squad, which is understandable as flanking is a key aspect of the game. I find MG42s work great though at defending key points, like camping them on fuel points or cutoff points, therefore stopping the soviet player from harassing you as often. I've come to the conclusion though that a very small increase in suppression would probably make the MG42 more reliable when using it in the game.
7 Nov 2013, 20:47 PM

Permanently Banned

Thank you for response.
7 Nov 2013, 20:48 PM

MG42s are a tough subject for me. Sometimes they operate up to par, other times not so much. Whenever I have them setup on an open playing field, i.e. moscow outskirts, I usually am able to suppress two conscript squads coming at me head on, however if I'm getting flanked at the same time it's difficult to suppress the flanking squad, which is understandable as flanking is a key aspect of the game. I find MG42s work great though at defending key points, like camping them on fuel points or cutoff points, therefore stopping the soviet player from harassing you as often. I've come to the conclusion though that a very small increase in suppression would probably make the MG42 more reliable when using it in the game.

there is another thing von , if a conscript catches your mg not se up then you ll usually have to retrate it while the same thing doesnt always happen with the maxim as you can usually position it vey quickly
7 Nov 2013, 20:56 PM

I'm just sick of having suppressed conscripts crawling up to my mg, lobbing a molotov and barbecue half the mg crew before I can redeploy...
7 Nov 2013, 21:00 PM

there is another thing von , if a conscript catches your mg not se up then you ll usually have to retrate it while the same thing doesnt always happen with the maxim as you can usually position it vey quickly

I find the deploy rate of both the MG42 and Maxim to be pretty balanced. The reason why the maxim has a faster deploy rate is because it's arch of fire is much smaller then that of the MG42s, so if you have two gren squads running at a Maxim the best thing to do is space them out as quickly as possible, and therefore have at least one un-suppressed squad either A. Running around it. Or B. Having the suppressed squad quickly fire a rifle nade at the maxim which usually de-crews it for a short time allowing the un-suppressed gren squad to run around it or rifle nade it as well.
7 Nov 2013, 21:18 PM

Thank you for response.

now that is school done right :D :D
7 Nov 2013, 21:25 PM

Maxims are fine, L2P. That's the only possible response I can have to that video. 2 riflenades force it to retreat, and it cant pin 2 flankers at once. Add in FHTs, ACs, snipers, mortars and rampaging PGrens and T1-2 has every counter you could possibly need.

MG42s could use a small suppression boost, they take too long to make conscripts drop as it is. But they sure as hell don't need to go back to the instant pin machine of yore. Porting the VCOH values (if it can be done) could work, but let's remember that game doesn't have Ooorah.

I also think any buffing of german tier 1 needs a slight nerf to grenadiers to compensate. But that's another topic.

Great so 60 munitions can cause a unit to retreat, and gain vet while it does so. It also makes you need to group up at least 2 grens together diminishing your map presence.

Meanwhile a t0 unit, with a 20 reinforce cost, can run up directly in front of a mg42, throw a molatov and have a very high chance of actually killing it outright.
7 Nov 2013, 21:25 PM
Benefactor 115

I'm just sick of having suppressed conscripts crawling up to my mg, lobbing a molotov and barbecue half the mg crew before I can redeploy...

protip: you don't have to wait for them to throw the molotov to redeploy.
concripts will always get suppressed if they charge frontally, if you see they managed to get in molotov range repack immediately a few step back and you'll be back shooting while they're still on the ground
7 Nov 2013, 21:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Nov 2013, 21:25 PMtuvok

protip: you don't have to wait for them to throw the molotov to redeploy.
concripts will always get suppressed if they charge frontally, if you see they managed to get in molotov range repack immediately a few step back and you'll be back shooting while they're still on the ground

No shit sherlock? Redeploy and make it an easy pray for that second consquad that comes oooraaaing in...? Remember we are not talking about a maxim...

Seriously, redeploying after every squad you supressed? Is that the way an Mg should work?
I do not think so.
7 Nov 2013, 21:59 PM

No shit sherlock? Redeploy and make it an easy pray for that second consquad that comes oooraaaing in...? Remember we are not talking about a maxim...

Seriously, redeploying after every squad you supressed? Is that the way an Mg should work?
I do not think so.

This is sad LoL :))...
7 Nov 2013, 22:02 PM

Great so 60 munitions can cause a unit to retreat, and gain vet while it does so. It also makes you need to group up at least 2 grens together diminishing your map presence.

Meanwhile a t0 unit, with a 20 reinforce cost, can run up directly in front of a mg42, throw a molatov and have a very high chance of actually killing it outright.

Molotovs require research, the tactic won't work unless conscripts are vet 3 or spring out of the FOW, molotovs don't kill 4 models outright, renforcment cost is balanced, you don't need to group grens together since riflenade range is kinda long and using to infantry units to deal with an MG is completely normal anyway, riflenades cost 25 ammo not 30.

Sorry, not convinced at all. If you don't support your MG, it's going to be killed, and that's perfectly normal. I saw many players that can keep their MG42 alive, even after the nerf, and use it to great effect all game long.
7 Nov 2013, 22:08 PM

Sorry, not convinced at all. If you don't support your MG, it's going to be killed, and that's perfectly normal. I saw many players that can keep their MG42 alive, even after the nerf, and use it to great effect all game long.

Except for the maxim.. its a squad in its own right and needs no support. I said molatov has a decent chance of it, ie if the mg gunner dies, the next man runs in burns and dies, nect one runs in.. even if u hit retreat.

7 Nov 2013, 22:30 PM

Except for the maxim.. its a squad in its own right and needs no support. I said molatov has a decent chance of it, ie if the mg gunner dies, the next man runs in burns and dies, nect one runs in.. even if u hit retreat.

Sometimes molotov burns half/all of the squad and sometimes it just consumes it's health but no one dies...If you say molotov burns ALL the squad ALL the time then I'm sorry my friend but that is utter bulls**t
7 Nov 2013, 22:52 PM

If they want to go out and change the fact that germans are meant to have a important early game suppression mg then with massive changes like that the getrmans need a complete army redesign giving it other strengths and making its completely different from how the army was respresented in coh.

What like giving them access to mortar in T1 (vcoh was T2), pretty much PE armoured cars in T2, and also super early FHTs... You had to teck to T3 for those in coh1.

Nooo, Germans don't have any advantages over vcoh to offset slightly weaker MG.

Also, molos might be nice. But any soviet would trade them for the rifle squads pineapple nade, which was godly against vcoh MGs.
7 Nov 2013, 22:56 PM

Spamming mgs should never ever be a valid tactic - anyone doing so should be able to be wiped off the field in the first few mintues. If this tactic is working in game it means the game is broken, as if that happened in vcoh as a strat the game would be over after the first flank.

They need to fire up voch play it for 10 mins and then come back to coh2 and make mg42 exactly the same, they had it completely right before stop messing with things that arent broken, this is what happens when you try to make a simplified version of coh on dow2 engine....

Yet spamming maxims is a valid tactic and it works unlike the mg .
7 Nov 2013, 23:45 PM

Yet spamming maxims is a valid tactic and it works unlike the mg .

Only against really bad players. Any decent will go FHT and simply destroy its opponent.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS