Login

russian armor

Overpowered Maxim Video Evidence

PAGES (7)down
7 Nov 2013, 12:49 PM

The big question Nullist, why don't you play the Soviets? I'm just curious, nothing else. The incendiary rounds lasts for 30 seconds on the MG42.

On topic, why do we get all these "overpowered" threads with anecdotical evidence? I could post the video when Stephenn annihilates his opponents whole army in just a few seconds with Sector Arty and call it OP but I'm not, I just find it cool that the Germans have such a thing. It's currently in just one doctrine, comes at 6CP (very late) and costs 200 muni on an already muni starved faction. Just to be clear, the Maxim is fine as it is and the MG42 as well.
7 Nov 2013, 12:59 PM

Permanently Banned
The big question Nullist, why don't you play the Soviets? I'm just curious, nothing else. The incendiary rounds lasts for 30 seconds on the MG42.

I generally like to stick to one faction, to get to know and improve in it.
I have a small historical bias vs Sov due to my families history (my family suffered terribly from Soviets during and after the war), but that doesnt affect my balance perspective on the game (except in terms of lacking Sov experience, which is a valid critique and one I cant counter), I just felt abit wrong personally playing as Sov in beta, if you understand what I mean, and I ended up focusing on Ost.

Ill eventually end up swapping to Sov, for sure, or atleast alternating. I just like to stick to one faction and hone my play through that, before diversifying.

30s eh? Yeah, too long imo. Id recommend shorter duration, less suppression, faster loading and more DPS.
7 Nov 2013, 13:43 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Maxim isn't Op that video just showed an excellent use of the unit. If the German player decided to attack the maxim at the same time from different directions he would have a much better chance. However since he attacked at different times the end result was inevitable.
7 Nov 2013, 14:04 PM

All I can say:

WW1 MG = supressing with one (close range) or two bursts

Best MG of WW2 = supressing with two (close range) to three bursts, squads can uraah into it and the whole Russian community will go bonkers if it actually does it´s job.

Fucking double standards. I shit on the 42s wider arc. It needs to do it´s job. With the wider arc the MG42 can atm be incompetent at it´s role on a wider field - not cool.
7 Nov 2013, 14:24 PM

Permanently Banned

Best MG of WW2 = supressing with two (close range) to three bursts, squads can uraah into it and the whole Russian community will go bonkers if it actually does it´s job.

Fucking double standards. I shit on the 42s wider arc. It needs to do it´s job. With the wider arc the MG42 can atm be incompetent at it´s role on a wider field - not cool.

I agree. As a backline wide suppressor, too many vocal Sovs cry when the MG42 actually performs as it should, in that function. Infact I think it needs some buffing to better perform this defensive function because positioning is so crucial to do so.
7 Nov 2013, 15:08 PM

I agree. As a backline wide suppressor, too many vocal Sovs cry when the MG42 actually performs as it should, in that function. Infact I think it needs some buffing to better perform this defensive function because positioning is so crucial to do so.

Agreed, the thing is mg 42 needs a spotter to be effective that's a whopping 2 units to fulfill a role it should be capable of itself. If you have no line of sight from a spotter with the MG it wont last even 1 squad of scripts would make quick work of it running face on with no flanking.

To some others claiming skill , i have no doubt hans is a good player however that video was only made possible with the crazy fast set up time of the maxim. While playing soviets I can do the same with ease its not hard to do. It could be that the maxim is not overpowered but the MG 42 is under-powered.
7 Nov 2013, 16:19 PM
Benefactor 115

Agreed, the thing is mg 42 needs a spotter to be effective that's a whopping 2 units to fulfill a role it should be capable of itself. If you have no line of sight from a spotter with the MG it wont last even 1 squad of scripts would make quick work of it running face on with no flanking.

To some others claiming skill , i have no doubt hans is a good player however that video was only made possible with the crazy fast set up time of the maxim. While playing soviets I can do the same with ease its not hard to do. It could be that the maxim is not overpowered but the MG 42 is under-powered.

2 units to fulfill a role? it's not like the other unit(grens usually) disappear, they are still there grenadiering the shit out of everything.
btw, being a support unit implies that it can't run the show by itself (the Maxim can't either btw).
if you get molotv'd by conscript squads running in your face consider playing some tutorial.
7 Nov 2013, 16:59 PM

Good points in this thread,so if the MG42 doesn't instant surpress the whole Soviet Army it's underperforming?...
7 Nov 2013, 17:25 PM

Maxim isn't Op that video just showed an excellent use of the unit.

7 Nov 2013, 17:36 PM

The maxim is fine. But I don't have count of the number of times I've been surprised by a mg42 and suppressed, yet still manage to throw a Molotov and force it to retreat.
7 Nov 2013, 17:53 PM

Maxim is ok.

Better get ready to face the 12,7mm ДШК :)

7 Nov 2013, 18:21 PM

I dont know what to think about the maxim. Its an extremely effective assaultunit and a decent defensive unit.

The MG42 is kind of a joke right now. I see a lot of players are happy that they can charge an MG head on with conscripts and win, but seriously, does anyone think thats how such an MG should work?

I think they were perfect in vCOH.
7 Nov 2013, 18:57 PM

Maxims are just like the rest of the Soviet units, super effective, borderline OP if you have great micro, pretty weaksauce and easily countered if you don't.

7 Nov 2013, 19:22 PM

I dont know what to think about the maxim. Its an extremely effective assaultunit and a decent defensive unit.

The MG42 is kind of a joke right now. I see a lot of players are happy that they can charge an MG head on with conscripts and win, but seriously, does anyone think thats how such an MG should work?

I think they were perfect in vCOH.

+1
7 Nov 2013, 19:27 PM

Honestly I think they should rebuff the MG42 to what it was pre nerf. Then increase it´s cost to 360mp. Thus they can´t be spammed but do their job in a single spot.
7 Nov 2013, 19:50 PM

I dont see why no one else agrees with you but I do. Maxim is a complete joke, not only is it way more powerful then mg42 ever was even with the 10% bulletin, its set up time is non existent and its basically a more powerful version of the conscripts.

Between maxim, at gun and mortar spam that actually work you can see where coh2 has gone terribly wrong.

What is expected out of the game is of the germans is to have a early game MG which suppresses in 1 burst, thats how it was in coh and thats what people are use to and want. If you cant handle this sort of unit ( even though cons have mollies and oorah then you need to up your game) when the allied forces have a mg that you can use as a offensive unit on its own you know the game is broken.

If they want to go out and change the fact that germans are meant to have a important early game suppression mg then with massive changes like that the getrmans need a complete army redesign giving it other strengths and making its completely different from how the army was respresented in coh.
7 Nov 2013, 19:53 PM

Honestly I think they should rebuff the MG42 to what it was pre nerf. Then increase it´s cost to 360mp. Thus they can´t be spammed but do their job in a single spot.

Spamming mgs should never ever be a valid tactic - anyone doing so should be able to be wiped off the field in the first few mintues. If this tactic is working in game it means the game is broken, as if that happened in vcoh as a strat the game would be over after the first flank.

They need to fire up voch play it for 10 mins and then come back to coh2 and make mg42 exactly the same, they had it completely right before stop messing with things that arent broken, this is what happens when you try to make a simplified version of coh on dow2 engine....
7 Nov 2013, 20:05 PM

Yes bring back the overpowered MG,Germans need better early game IMO,Assault Grenadiers and LMG Grens aren't enough,they are countered by Soviet elite infantry like Conscripts or Engineers...
7 Nov 2013, 20:14 PM

Permanently Banned
Someone broke my sarcasm-o-meter. Better blast it with piss.
7 Nov 2013, 20:19 PM

imo the suppression rates of the 2 mgs should be swapped or almost equalised with mg42 having more because it is super easy to decrew while maxim can take a riflenade easily and keep suppressing
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 54
Poland 12
Sweden 8
United States 14
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W