Login

russian armor

Overpowered Maxim Video Evidence

PAGES (7)down
7 Nov 2013, 00:17 AM

We can clearly see from this video at how ridiculous the set up time for maxim is.

http://en.twitch.tv/helpinghans/c/3157027

Suppressing 3 squads from 3 different angles with ease due to the almost instant set up and go time with no spotter. An MG 42 wildly regarded as the best machine gun ever so good it is still made today in an updated form can not do the same . This needs to be looked at.
7 Nov 2013, 00:38 AM

Um... All I saw was a maxim suppressing 3 different squads that attacked at 3 different points in time that happened to be from different vectors of attack. If they attacked with even two of those units at the same point in time the result would have certainly been different.

The big difference between the maxim and mg42 here is that the mg42 would not have needed to reset 3 different times. The mg42 would have needed to reset once in this scenario.

Not trying to detract from the maxim's use here either though - or state one hmg is better than the other. Hans did an excellent job using it there.
7 Nov 2013, 00:43 AM

In my experience, PanzerGrens or AssGrens that can get up close by avoiding its narrow arc of fire will make short work of a Maxim, to say nothing of scout cars, halftracks or the Ostwind. Its quick setup time is still often slow enough to avoid though in my experience.
7 Nov 2013, 01:20 AM

Ostheer player microed that as poorly as possible, video proves nothing.
7 Nov 2013, 01:25 AM

Um... All I saw was a maxim suppressing 3 different squads that attacked at 3 different points in time that happened to be from different vectors of attack. If they attacked with even two of those units at the same point in time the result would have certainly been different.

The big difference between the maxim and mg42 here is that the mg42 would not have needed to reset 3 different times. The mg42 would have needed to reset once in this scenario.

Not trying to detract from the maxim's use here either though - or state one hmg is better than the other. Hans did an excellent job using it there.

The real truth is the mg 42 wouldn't have survived even the first squad , it would have not suppressed and have been molotov'd quicker than you could say cheese. Thats the difference here and that is why its not balanced.

I don't really see any skill to it , you just click your mouse when you see an enemy its super fast set up time does the rest. There is a reason this video could not be made with an MG 42
7 Nov 2013, 02:03 AM
Benefactor 115

The real truth is the mg 42 wouldn't have survived even the first squad , it would have not suppressed and have been molotov'd quicker than you could say cheese. Thats the difference here and that is why its not balanced.

I don't really see any skill to it , you just click your mouse when you see an enemy its super fast set up time does the rest. There is a reason this video could not be made with an MG 42

Not comparable at all, mg42 would have had the same effect, obviously not by rotating like this but just sitting at the back without ever reposition, provided that it had a spotter.
Maxim is an offensive squad that can go side to side with conscripts, mg42 has a support role and has to be kept at the back. don't ever try to use one like the other
7 Nov 2013, 04:47 AM

Are you kidding! That was very skilled use. He was quick to react to each separate attack and the german player was never attacking at the same time. If you are arguing that a HMG would have been molotoved then this maxim could have been rifle naded as well. This was just a player using the strengths of the maxim very well.
7 Nov 2013, 05:10 AM

Oh if i had a dollar for every unit that been called OP this patch.. Both Soviet and German units, ID be a rich, rich man :)
7 Nov 2013, 06:26 AM

maxim's literally don't pin PG squads in light cover at long range, they can only supress
7 Nov 2013, 06:48 AM
Patrion 27

One of the major things happening in this video is Hans great micro. at 00:30 you can see he gave it a command to reposition, then he hit "W" to stop and lay it back down. Also, Pios on there own are a lackluster flank.

Then he rotates the Maxim in place to face the 2nd Gren squad which indeed happens fast. I don't think it's OP or anything. The Ostheer player probably would have been better off leaving his first grens in the green cover capping and waited for his 2nd gren to catch up and flank with the pio.
7 Nov 2013, 07:23 AM

Maxim's fine. If you need a reminder of what it was just on release, I give you:

http://youtu.be/-hxsL5dlC8w

My favorite bit is when the Maxim walks into the range of the mg, faces the wrong way, has to turn and then proceeds to own the MG42 even though it's being mortared at the same time.

7 Nov 2013, 09:03 AM

Both HMGs are relatively well balanced now, stop crying about them.
7 Nov 2013, 09:32 AM

Maxim is perfectly fine. Mg42 does still slightly underperform.
7 Nov 2013, 10:18 AM

Permanently Banned
Maxim is perfectly fine. Mg42 does still slightly underperform.

This.

In this vid if those attackers had attacked together, they would have had better results.
But it does also illustrate that there really is no such thing as "flanking" a Maxim.
The setup time is roughly the same as LMG.
You have to swamp the Maxim, whereas on MG42, a single flanking Cons with Molly is sufficient.

I think Maxims are seriously underplayed, and Im grateful for that. When used "offensively" like this, they are huge.
Looking at this makes me drool about when I finally swap to Sov and can use this in conjunction with offensive Cons play. Combine with PPSH for a serious MP push that really only a backline MG42 can slow.

As to MG42s, I get that they perform more as a defensive hardpoint to primarily form a "this far, and no further" backline.
I jist dont think they perform that role as well, reicprocally, as Maxim potentially performs its offensive role.
7 Nov 2013, 10:50 AM
Benefactor 115

I don't really wanna see the mg42 change, it is currently in the right spot since it punishes dumb players that don't repack when conscripts get in molotov range. It's much more fun and rewarding to micro than the godlike mg42 we had
7 Nov 2013, 11:06 AM

We can clearly see from this video at how ridiculous the set up time for maxim is.

http://en.twitch.tv/helpinghans/c/3157027

Suppressing 3 squads from 3 different angles with ease due to the almost instant set up and go time with no spotter. An MG 42 wildly regarded as the best machine gun ever so good it is still made today in an updated form can not do the same . This needs to be looked at.

you can't be serious with this post LOL
7 Nov 2013, 11:13 AM

Permanently Banned
This is the clip that inspired our resident artists comic pic of a Maxim spinning on a childs merrygoround, isnt it?

7 Nov 2013, 11:39 AM

This is the clip that inspired our resident artists comic pic of a Maxim spinning on a childs merrygoround, isnt it?

nah that pic is circa beta
7 Nov 2013, 12:14 PM

Permanently Banned

nah that pic is circa beta

Good art stays relevant in all eras!

Ontopic though, I think Maxim is fine and good.
Excellent piece of offensive equipment that synergises well with infantry advances.
If I played Sov, Id want one in every infantry build.

The more defensive MG42 though requires better positioning and forethought to take advantage of the arc.
I suppose it synchs well with LMG Grens as a fallback point. Perhaps Incendiary rounds could use a faster implementation time with a reduced duration, since I fell it does lack in the DPS department a bit. Cant remeber the exact duration, but feels far too long.

Id be cool with a reduced suppression rate during Incendiary as well, for harder DPS, but less suppression. Would help diversify the unit so its not so dependant on wide open fields of firenand can be fielded in more cluttered areas for its DPS output, rsther than wide infantry advance denial.
7 Nov 2013, 12:46 PM

i dont think they are overpowered, as playing Germans i take them easyly out with 2 riflegrenades
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 30
South Africa 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak