Login

russian armor

Pushing your advantage as Soviets

4 Nov 2013, 20:30 PM

So lately I've been finding myself in this position in the mid-game:

After gaining a small to moderate map control advantage with a relatively fast T3, I find myself with two T-34's, an AT Gun, a mortar (usually the 120), a Guard's Rifle Squad (vet 1) and 3 Conscripts (vet 1 or 2), and maybe a stolen MG. My opponent usually has a similar infantry force, and one Panzer IV. It's common for my opponent to also build a PaK at this point.

From here, I'm having trouble pushing my advantage (albeit a slight one). Eventually, a fuel OP that I can't quite manage to take out leads to a Tiger, and no matter how many T34's I've built - it's game over.

I'm pretty sure the answer is taking out the Panzer IV when I have this advantage and push forward to harass his fuel and take out any OPs he has. This would force him to abandon his plans for the Tiger and continue pumping out PIVs. I think my problem is micro-related. I've tried to go for the ram with one T34, flank with the other, and bring up my ZiS. But if he's smart, he's playing conservative with his PIV and just biding his time. So to pull this off, I've had to push too far forward, the flanking T-34 gets fausted and it's all downhill from there. It usually ends with two dead T-34s, while he repairs his PIV.

I've actually had better luck playing conservative and hanging back, but it usually requires my opponent to be somewhat careless (that and Mark Vehicle). So I know this isn't a winning strategy in the long-term (especially not against better players). Any suggested tactics for dealing with this conservative German mid-game?

Or if my micro isn't good enough to micro two or more tanks at a time, should I abandon this strategy and my preferred Commander choices (Combined Arms and Mechanized Support)? Maybe play conservatively and opt for a commander with a heavy call-in (requiring less micro)?

Thanks.
5 Nov 2013, 08:50 AM

Push with your AT guns and infantry. Bringing your t34s in first isn't a really good idea for a frontal attack. You are much better off staging a combined arms attack. Use the speed of your t34s to attack where your opponent is weakest.

I recommend 2 AT guns as it allows more flexability and firepower. If your opponent has a tiger out that means he sunk a lot of manpower into it and you can afford to get more AT to counter.

Your guard squads can also button vehicles which allows you time to outmaneuver enemy tanks or take them out with zis. If you are using guard-motor don't forget that you can mark vehicles for increased damage.
5 Nov 2013, 10:02 AM
Benefactor 115

if he is sitting back don' take unnecessary risks, consolidate your position, go for the least defended sector between his cutoff and his fuel, or just take satellite territory points (you should have the advantage in mobility).
Plant mines everywhere and try to lure the p4 in and yes, consider a doctrine with a heavy call-in tank if you find yourself going late game often
5 Nov 2013, 11:22 AM

+1 tuvok.

I was about to say, its sounds like you are relying on Guards motor (guards and 120mm).

There are several commanders that work nicely with T3.

My favorites are:

Shock Motor; this will give you shocks to own his inf, you can rush a T70 out instead of getting guards. It also gives you ZiS camo, to give a damage buff, and then calling in an IS2 at the point in the game you begin to struggle, will seal the deal most of the time.

I also like Mechanised Support, which gives you guards, ZiS camo, mark target and then an ISU152.
30 Nov 2013, 01:38 AM

So lately I've been finding myself in this position in the mid-game:

After gaining a small to moderate map control advantage with a relatively fast T3, I find myself with two T-34's, an AT Gun, a mortar (usually the 120), a Guard's Rifle Squad (vet 1) and 3 Conscripts (vet 1 or 2), and maybe a stolen MG. My opponent usually has a similar infantry force, and one Panzer IV. It's common for my opponent to also build a PaK at this point.

From here, I'm having trouble pushing my advantage (albeit a slight one). Eventually, a fuel OP that I can't quite manage to take out leads to a Tiger, and no matter how many T34's I've built - it's game over.

I'm pretty sure the answer is taking out the Panzer IV when I have this advantage and push forward to harass his fuel and take out any OPs he has. This would force him to abandon his plans for the Tiger and continue pumping out PIVs. I think my problem is micro-related. I've tried to go for the ram with one T34, flank with the other, and bring up my ZiS. But if he's smart, he's playing conservative with his PIV and just biding his time. So to pull this off, I've had to push too far forward, the flanking T-34 gets fausted and it's all downhill from there. It usually ends with two dead T-34s, while he repairs his PIV.

I've actually had better luck playing conservative and hanging back, but it usually requires my opponent to be somewhat careless (that and Mark Vehicle). So I know this isn't a winning strategy in the long-term (especially not against better players). Any suggested tactics for dealing with this conservative German mid-game?

Or if my micro isn't good enough to micro two or more tanks at a time, should I abandon this strategy and my preferred Commander choices (Combined Arms and Mechanized Support)? Maybe play conservatively and opt for a commander with a heavy call-in (requiring less micro)?

Thanks.

I have exactly this problem, I find because you have to get at least two AT guns the manpower drain means you cant counter his inf even with a shock squad.

because the T-34 can only ram, its actually an expensive unit, I find you cant push anywhere because of faust guaranteed engine critical.

then any German unit makes short work of it, shrek or PIV, PAK etc.

I struggle to find a use for T-34 in any contested game, its cool if the Axis player has terrible micro.

I also find tier 4 useless because again it has no offensive capability.
9 Dec 2013, 02:28 AM
Patrion 27

+1 tuvok.

I was about to say, its sounds like you are relying on Guards motor (guards and 120mm).

There are several commanders that work nicely with T3.

My favorites are:

Shock Motor; this will give you shocks to own his inf, you can rush a T70 out instead of getting guards. It also gives you ZiS camo, to give a damage buff, and then calling in an IS2 at the point in the game you begin to struggle, will seal the deal most of the time.

I also like Mechanised Support, which gives you guards, ZiS camo, mark target and then an ISU152.

Meta +1

IS2 is the missing piece here IMO.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 30
Germany 814
unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L