Login

russian armor

Overlay suggestions for SNF

4 Nov 2013, 00:33 AM

i love this website and everything it does for the COH community but i find the SNF video casting overlay could use some work.

might i suggest something like what Frontline Network uses, it simultaneously shows what both sides are doing without cluttering the screen too much.

heres a recent example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqbHvMrOYk
4 Nov 2013, 02:02 AM
Senior Caster Badge

That stuff has to be done ahead of time - it takes a while to render it all out and edit it all together. The SNF turnaround time is way too fast for that to work.
4 Nov 2013, 02:04 AM

Perhaps someone needs to make a mod allowing you to see both sides units in a replay
4 Nov 2013, 02:14 AM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2013, 02:04 AMCon!
Perhaps someone needs to make a mod allowing you to see both sides units in a replay

That is not easy to do. In fact I'm pretty sure it's impossible.
4 Nov 2013, 02:58 AM

so your saying they(frontline) record it and then add in the overlays after?
4 Nov 2013, 03:21 AM

yep
4 Nov 2013, 05:49 AM
Senior Caster Badge

If you look really closely at the unit shields or between the little commander buttons you'll see the remnants of the other entire video they had to record just to add in those resource overlays! TFN goes through a lot of work to make their awesome videos and it takes a long time. Unfortunately SNF can't do that sort of thing. Maybe if Relic had the time and money to make a competent RTS game rather than the mess we got, we'd be able to do stuff like observe a match in real time without a mod or view both players' resources simultaneously. But nope, we're stuck in the stone age.
4 Nov 2013, 05:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge

We'd love to show you guys both players resources / units etc. But atm it's not possible. All we have are POV's from 1 player, that's it. As Tycho said, TFN records their video's and then adds in this information. Takes alot of their time, but it is very nice :)
4 Nov 2013, 09:48 AM
Benefactor 115

Marcus should shout out the resources and units of the off-screen player every 30 seconds :p
4 Nov 2013, 11:11 AM

Actually it's pretty easy to do for "offline" videos, doing it live is possible, I think I might have figured it out, sadly I don't have the time or hardware to actually do it.

You guys should ask ATR or perhaps Inuki, maybe they can work it out.
4 Nov 2013, 11:12 AM
Benefactor 115

There's no reason why this can't be done for the you tube uploads however. Fatal Saint and ATR are the only guys actually going the extra mile in terms of post production.
4 Nov 2013, 15:17 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Both players resources can be displayed in real-time, no video editing required. Just like Commander names and stats(infantry killed, vehicles killed, infantry lost etc. you get the point) in the screenshot at the bottom of this post.

Only limitation is the hard coded font for drawing text which is quite small. Only the text color can be adjusted. It can be placed anywhere in the screen though.
I could try drawing other players resources to the screen just like in the youtube video linked at first post. It would be real-time, of course.
Drawing commander abilities would be a lot harder though. Displaying commander name is easy.

Here's a screenshot from mod I've been working on:

All the stats are displayed in real-time while watching the replay.
4 Nov 2013, 15:24 PM
Benefactor 115

Drawing commander abilities would be a lot harder though. Displaying commander name is easy.

Why isn't Ami funding this? :p
4 Nov 2013, 16:29 PM

Both players resources can be displayed in real-time, no video editing required. Just like Commander names and stats(infantry killed, vehicles killed, infantry lost etc. you get the point) in the screenshot at the bottom of this post.

Only limitation is the hard coded font for drawing text which is quite small. Only the text color can be adjusted. It can be placed anywhere in the screen though.
I could try drawing other players resources to the screen just like in the youtube video linked at first post. It would be real-time, of course.

Here's a screenshot from mod I've been working on:

All the stats are displayed in real-time while watching the replay.

Wow, makes me hopeful that one day we could have nice things :)

But yeah, right now the only option we have is to edit that stuff in.
4 Nov 2013, 17:20 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Re-uploaded the image with real-time resource display:

(Click the image for full resolution view)
4 Nov 2013, 17:34 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

There's no reason why this can't be done for the you tube uploads however. Fatal Saint and ATR are the only guys actually going the extra mile in terms of post production.

You can't seriously be asking me or my staff to go another extra mile in this regard, can you? Producing this show has been a full-time job for me. I was making overlays 1 hour before we aired last night. And it's not because I left it to the last minute, either. It's because my days were filled with getting other, even more important stuff to work.

Janne's mod could be totally awesome, and if we can make it look good, we will add it to SNF. But really, the responsibility to deliver this "view" lies with Relic, not with the shoutcasters.
4 Nov 2013, 17:43 PM
Benefactor 115

I phrased it badly, what I mean is that is an option that you should consider employing for your VODs so that viewers who couldnt watch it live can have something else to look forward to.

I understand that everyone is very busy but going that extra step makes our scene look really committed from the point of view of external observers from other scenes.
4 Nov 2013, 17:58 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Last update for now. I found a way to edit the font:
(This one is Times New Roman, font size: 22px)
4 Nov 2013, 18:05 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Impressive work Janne! This would be great to have for SNF :)
4 Nov 2013, 19:40 PM

How does the double webcam streaming work?
I guess that in the last SNF, Ami broadcasted from his point of view, but in between matches we also saw Marcus in the same view. So if he somehow is sending his webcam (skype?) to Ami, there should be some workaround to just send a part of his screen that Ami can cap and add to his stream

or?

:D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 98
unknown 53
United States 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L