Login

russian armor

Soviets floating ammo

23 Oct 2013, 10:48 AM

Ok, so I hear this often: 'Soviets always float ammo'. Meaning the players have more ammo then they can use.

I never have ammo floating unused, and often barely have enough to throw molotov or AT nade. Even in the late game.

Every chance I get I throw molotov, Rifle guards nade, upgrade PPSH guns, Zis barrage, place mines, get flame throwers, use tank repair ability, Oorah, etc.

If I wanna use some call-in ability, I have to save for it and keep my eye on ammo so I have enough when I need it.

So my question is: Are most other players really floating ammo and I am the odd one out or is it just a presumption by many players?
23 Oct 2013, 10:58 AM

Been answered by Nullist, thanx by the way. Apparently replays show I am the odd one out.

Strange enough, I don't understand why would someone rather float ammo then place 5 mines.
Ah well
23 Oct 2013, 11:47 AM

I never got too much ammo. Most time i feel starve for ammo. Su much upgrades, so much ways to use ammo...Also im using penals schatchel charge.So i cant get floating ammo.
23 Oct 2013, 11:55 AM

I sometimes have trouble scraping together the munis for an AT nade late in a tough game, I like to spend muni's like they're going out of fashion.

Had a few hilarious successes with demo charges recently...
23 Oct 2013, 12:03 PM

Permanently Banned
Id argue that any Sov who floats muni, is not playing to the optimum.

Still, it is apparent in frequent rplay casts that display both sides resources in the UI.

If Id have to hazard a guess, Id say:
1-Sov has far less hard muni weapon upgrades.
No LMG, no 222 upgun, no HT Flamer, no PGren Shreks, no Tank MGs. These swallow huge amounts of Ost munis.
2-Sov Commander abilities are largely dedicated to infsntry call-ins, whereas Ost are predominalty muni abilities.
3- Unfortunate universal lack of CEs (and Pios), to exploit that muni pool with mines/demo. On that point Ive never understood that CEs cost more than Pios (except at one point months ago where Inthought CEs where 6man, which thankfully i was succinctly corrected on).

Though the lack of weapon upgrades and Commander abilities for muni may seem unfair at first, I think mines are the solution. More fking mines goddam everywhere for Sov. They fk the smaller butnbetter armored Ost infsntry and the more expensive armor something fierce. Asidemfrom that, perhaps more deliberate saving and use of munis for Sov commander specific muni abilities like mark vehicle, and some of the more useful unit abilities like especially ZiS Barrage.

Played three fantastic mstches vs Trademrk the other night (allmthree ofmwhich Imlost, ofc) and his muni play was excellent. Mines (inclusing flares) everywhere, ZiS Barrages and my god how demoralising it is to be sonstantly Reconned and knownthst your opponent knows every foddam thing you are doing, and that the SU85 is surely already sitting pretty on your chosen approach path thanks to that intel.
23 Oct 2013, 12:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Oct 2013, 12:03 PMNullist
Id argue that any Sov who floats muni, is not playing to the optimum.

Still, it is apparent in frequent rplay casts that display both sides resources in the UI.

If Id have to hazard a guess, Id say:
1-Sov has far less hard muni weapon upgrades.
No LMG, no 222 upgun, no HT Flamer, no PGren Shreks, no Tank MGs. These swallow huge amounts of Ost munis.

Well if you wanna talk German Ammo, then I am majorly short all the time and I need to carefully think when investing any of it. :(
23 Oct 2013, 14:22 PM

Well if you wanna talk German Ammo, then I am majorly short all the time and I need to carefully think when investing any of it. :(

I think when people say Soviets float ammo, they really mean that they simply have more ammo to use on mines and unit abilities, not that they have nowhere to spend it.
23 Oct 2013, 14:37 PM

Varies widely on map and to an extent on build for me. On a muni-heavy map like Pripyat Winter, or a big map like Moscow Outskirts, it's very difficult for Soviets to effectively use up all their ammo on something worthwhile, so I'll have a ton left over by the midgame.

By contrast on Langres North or Kholodny Winter I often get sunk by just not having any ammo on account of the need to use mines, guards, AT nades, molotovs and Oorah, while having a difficult muni point to contest.

On Semoskiy, Minsk and Kholodny Ferma Summer, I'll normally not be floating more than I would as Ostheer.

Edit: on the general thing: as Ostheer I normally find that sinking ammo into something with definite long-term benefit is quite easy (see conscripts + tier 1, FHT, see a scout car, upgun, see pure con spam, LMG, floating and I expect Tier 3, 2 tellers or shreks). As Soviets, there are a lot of short-term situational ammo uses and mines, which are awesome and pretty generally underused at the terrible level I'm at. Even in high level play they're not used as much as they should be, tbh.
23 Oct 2013, 18:05 PM

It definitely takes more effort to spend MUN as soviets since more expenditures are abilities rather than upgrades.
23 Oct 2013, 18:16 PM

I never have ammo playing soviets because I absolutely abuse cheap mines. Every game I have a fall back position with an ambush zis gun making it near impossible to LOLaround kill it
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★