Login

russian armor

Difficulties with MG42 spam.

9 Aug 2019, 00:50 AM

I've asked about this on the discord and had some advice, but feel it's worth asking here too.

How do you overcome MG42 spam at the start?

It feels as though the micro, munitions and map control tax that these units place on me is far beyond almost any other strategy, and despite my initial vitriolic reaction to the strategy I figure I must be doing something wrong.

So, how do you get around it?

I've tried smoking them and rushing, I've tried flanking, mortars (with smoke and with actual barrages), I've even tried fighting defensively and getting a Stuart out early. Everything seems to just lead to a massive free lead for the Ostheer player.
9 Aug 2019, 03:43 AM

If you are struggling against MG's, I highly recommend going for a Pak Howitzer since it can dole out a large amount of damage and with a little luck got some nasty wipes against Ostheer's smaller squad sizes. Although it's tempting to go for an early mortar when you see an MG-42, I feel it takes to long for the mortar smoke to drop usually resulting in you having to retreat whatever squads were suppressed. Go for multiple rifle squads and look to spread out but keep squads within range to be able to help each other if needed (mainly for flanking MG's). Rifles should win most 1 on 1 fights with Ostheer infantry so the key is to not blob into an MG-42 and be forced to mass retreat. Plus a Pak Howitzer can be an effective way to deal with an Ostheer Mortar if your opponent opts for one.
9 Aug 2019, 07:45 AM

If you are struggling against MG's, I highly recommend going for a Pak Howitzer since it can dole out a large amount of damage and with a little luck got some nasty wipes against Ostheer's smaller squad sizes. Although it's tempting to go for an early mortar when you see an MG-42, I feel it takes to long for the mortar smoke to drop usually resulting in you having to retreat whatever squads were suppressed. Go for multiple rifle squads and look to spread out but keep squads within range to be able to help each other if needed (mainly for flanking MG's). Rifles should win most 1 on 1 fights with Ostheer infantry so the key is to not blob into an MG-42 and be forced to mass retreat. Plus a Pak Howitzer can be an effective way to deal with an Ostheer Mortar if your opponent opts for one.

How do you get to that point though if they've drawn a line across the map to hold the main points? The fuel income I get is a trickle so unlocking T2 takes quite some time, which is where they build a large lead.
9 Aug 2019, 08:21 AM

Needs a nerf, it used to be justified by 4 man mainlines, but now ostheer has 5 man grenadier or 6 man assault gren or 4 man pzg as mainline.

14 Aug 2019, 03:37 AM

The best way is to go Mechanized and use the WC51 with a Rifle sqaud inside and drive right past them to flank. Or if they're in buildings use the Mortar.

If they are still spamming MGs going into the later game an M3 halftrack with Cavalry Riflemen works very well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★