Login

russian armor

An idea to give T1 play back into COH(2)

18 Oct 2013, 11:55 AM

Hello

The lack of early dynamic gameplay in a COH2 1V1 automatch is still allowing VCOH to trump it at depth and thirst to play more. There's a lot of debate to be had here ("so what?" would be a good one) This is only my subjective option for forgive me if you think I'm trying to claim things are facts when they are not.

My first antidote would be to re-introduce a recon unit or least have a pre existing unit to have a recon abilities, either way. The true sight system is a good and innovative twist in the COH franchise but it's taken away the scouting recon element. One unit should be able to periscope and show the player what is around the corner. You might think wouldn't be viable or pointless in coh2 as it stands, well great, that's why I'm, posting this.

Scouting would re-engage harassment. Current harassment in coh2 consists of sticking a squad in a building next to a fuel or cut off for 2 minutes until the other plays has some sledgehammer to crack a nut counter (sorry! Had to have a moan there) to up route the squad. This leads me nicely on to my second method of re-introducing a better T1 dynamic...

PLEASE reduce the survivability of units in houses, flanking is still an issue in COH2. It's this sledgehammer to crack a nut system at the moment. example- unit in house - counter - Flames, mortar etc.). You should really be able to dislodge anything in a building with small arms fire.

In my opinion the closer to VCOH we get for early T1 play, because lets be honest, that probably why it was so popular, the better. Having T4 at 12 minutes into a game kind of kills the enjoyment a bit, it's a race for fuel and tech and it shouldn't be.

I would like to know what some you think about my suggestions. Maybe I'm just nostalgic but I think even the most hardened COH2 fans that were around in the VCOH days would love to see some of the old pros getting into COH2 or playing it more. I'm sure they can speak for themselves however.

Kind regards,

Monty

18 Oct 2013, 13:11 PM
Patrion 14

There is already recon in game in diffrent ways: Scoutcars, Snipers (and with flares), Trip wire flares, Recon run

Buildings are a concern though, and an issue raised many times.

Race for fuel was in CoH1 as well. If the problem is T4 hitting to early, I would consider that a pricing issue or getting to much fuel to fast.
18 Oct 2013, 19:00 PM

hmmm only a couple of them are T1 options, 0 for axis infact
18 Oct 2013, 23:49 PM

Already did a thread with similar observations, so yeah.

I can't say, that I appreciate that much rock/paper/scissors dynamic of the game
19 Oct 2013, 01:46 AM

I agree with decreasing the defensive bonuses for garrisoned buildings.
19 Oct 2013, 03:05 AM

remember how coh1 had jeeps and bikes?

yeah. we needs jeeps and bikes.
20 Oct 2013, 10:33 AM

I agree that the early game dynamics is drasticly changed, and a lot less interesting in COH2, and I think this is due to a lot of design decisions. First of all, the whole game seems to be centered arround hard counters, rather than the subtle advantages and edges that dominated infantryplay in vCOH. This turnes the game into more of a rush for counters and makes outsmarting the enemy tacticly by manouevering and positioning less important.

Secondly, the infantrycombat dosent have the same feal to it. In vCOH cover would be important and an atacking unit would loose to an equal unit if the defender used cover. Now its mostly infantry running in circles throwing bottles at each other.

Another problem, in my oppinion, is that the Soviets lack an effective HMG with decent arc, basicly leaving them with only assaultunits wich takes away the tactical twist of cooperation between HMGs and assaulttroops. This leaves a playstyle dominated bands of conscripts raoming the map, rather than interestigng play.

Last, I think the lack of basic defences and the innefectivenes of AT-guns turns the game into to much of a "rush for tanks". In vCOH, I would often fin myself more than able to push back enemy armour using only T1/T2, because I had good AT guns, and could use defensive structures to my advantage.
20 Oct 2013, 13:52 PM

Interesting thread.

1.I don't think a Scouting Unit would change the current Early Game Situation a whole lot.

2.is there really such a big difference between harrasment in CoH1 and CoH2 ?

3.i agree, the cover offereed by houses should be decreased significantly

BUT even more importantly would be to bring back the advantages infantry units have on specific ranges. Right now infantry fights between Conscripts and Grens tend to be 50/50 no matter on what range they fight which makes the early engagements extremely boring.
20 Oct 2013, 13:56 PM

Why don't we get Ba-64 instead of the M3A1, it was also a lend-lease vehicle.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★