Login

russian armor

Mirror Match

PAGES (29)down
8 Jan 2013, 01:19 AM

If this got into automatch I'd start considering not playing the game.
8 Jan 2013, 20:12 PM

Well, I watched a local TV-game show (news, reviews, etc.) and they talked about CoH2 in the last episode. In their "exclusive" (of course) interview, one of the devs said that they are going to include mirror matches in the game in order to get better competitive community. Looks like a pretty much final statement to me. Don´t know the latest news though......
9 Jan 2013, 05:45 AM

Shieeeet.. I guess I have to start practicing my old dick-moves again.
11 Jan 2013, 17:10 PM

Add mirror matching for the competitive scene, but spectating? No, the competitive scene doesn't need that.
11 Jan 2013, 19:11 PM

Well, I guess live spectating would add some unique factor to live shows like SundayNightFights, but I think keeping replay private so nobody can watch it, and to not tell the results to anyone, is not that hard. Thus, with replays, you can be 100% sure that the game you are watching will be ok, and you don´t have to annoy spectators by re-playing the game, because one of the players disconnected, etc. On the bright site of live spectating, casters might for example interview players right after each game, so it is fresh in their mind, with all the emotions and such. But after all, I just can´t get a feeling to like mirrors. I know it would be a great step towards competitive community, but for me, mirrors just don´t fit for a ww2 game. I know it is a stupid argument, but it is an argument that was mentioned by thousands of players. And do you think that a WW2 RTS might become popular in E-sports? I don´t.
11 Jan 2013, 19:42 PM
Donator 11

I guess there's nothing left to say now. Both sides presented their arguments. It seems that relic has already decided to include mirrors. Oh well, I just hope that this pursue after holy grail of e-sport won't backfire on them.
I personally would prefer them to focus on making the game even more fun than original CoH instead of trying to make the game an e-sport.
13 Jan 2013, 11:06 AM

Mirror matches are absolutely bs imho. imagine wher vs wher match.. both sides sitting with mgs and mortaring each other for first 5 minutes.. than rushing for ac to kill opponent mgs..Surprise!! ur oppenent also has Ac. Well we can get a Pak 40 to kill his AC. Only to find out that he also has a PAK 40.. Mirror Matches mean Mirror Units and
Mirror TECH. Only Way to Win.. WHO arty's better.

My post wont get noticed at all but ill just finish it with a question

Will mirror be a part of AutoMatch ?

if yes then there is one less coh2 buyer and player :(
13 Jan 2013, 11:27 AM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2013, 11:06 AMRandy
Mirror Matches mean Mirror Units and Mirror TECH.

You sure about that? Try to put some more thought on that.
13 Jan 2013, 12:10 PM

Mirror matches are absolutely bs imho. imagine wher vs wher match.. both sides sitting with mgs and mortaring each other for first 5 minutes.. than rushing for ac to kill opponent mgs..Surprise!! ur oppenent also has Ac. Well we can get a Pak 40 to kill his AC. Only to find out that he also has a PAK 40.. Mirror Matches mean Mirror Units and

yes cause theres a rule with mirror matches. And thats apparently that each player has to build and tech and the same things at the same time or else its an auto loss. derp derp
13 Jan 2013, 12:18 PM

Still so much bias against mirror matches, I assure you coh2 factions are much better designed for mirror matches than the original coh 1 factions.

Imo if mirror matches are included it would have to go into automatch as well. Otherwise how does one practice for tournaments with mirror matches? Maybe an option in automatch to allow/disallow mirrors would keep everyone happy :/
13 Jan 2013, 17:38 PM
Caster Badge

But there'd also be some friction due to who having the "real skill". And one could argue there is also bias for mirror matches :p It's no simple discussion. Although i am sure some would claim it is.

But personally i am fully opposed against them. At most as a basic match option. As for the tourney question. Well not every tourney would then have it, and those that would, would also have different players then train against each other.
13 Jan 2013, 17:53 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Honestly not a single person on this planet knows how mirror matches are in COH2 right now. All the players who played COH2 alpha are still COH2 "noobs", even the COH pros. Let me explain:

1) They don't know the full army at their disposal, they don't know all the doctrines and how effective they are ingame and they don't know how intel bulletins and the special features (radio call-ins/ watchtowers /medic-repair bunkers) really affect the gameplay.

2) They don't know what are the best units/combos, there is no COH2 metagame yet and there's definitely no COH2 mirror matches metagame yet.

3) All the strategies developed during the alpha are probably not going to work already in the beta, and the strategies that we'll develop in the beta won't be good in the retail game, because they will probably be related to unbalances/bugs of the game (which is normal tbh). I can't mention those related to Alpha since everything is covered by NDA, but there were quite some cheesy strategies :)

We'll know how COH2 really is maybe 1 year after launch, both when playing normal games and mirrors (if Relic includes them). 1 year at least because it's the time usually needed to fix the major problems/unbalances/find out the majority of the exploits.
13 Jan 2013, 20:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2013, 12:18 PMS73v0
Maybe an option in automatch to allow/disallow mirrors would keep everyone happy :/

Seems like a sensible compromise.
13 Jan 2013, 21:29 PM

Seems like a sensible compromise.

absolutely not... either it IS in automatch, or it ISN'T... dividing the automatchers even further is bullshit, also, how many ladders do you want to have? 4 ladders for 2 factions?
13 Jan 2013, 22:06 PM

2) They don't know what are the best units/combos, there is no COH2 metagame yet and there's definitely no COH2 mirror matches metagame yet.

There is: MMMMM ;D

We got some more precise info on SNF today from Eagleheart. He said that they'll listen to feedback during the beta, and see if the community likes mirrors or not. If not, I can't imagine they'll just keep it in the game if most people dislike it.
13 Jan 2013, 22:35 PM
Senior Caster Badge

"Most" people like annihilation compstomp on the Scheldt, going British and getting lots of artillery, and stuff like that. Competitive 1v1 players and people who run, shoutcast, and compete in tournaments are a minority of CoH players.

If it comes down to popular vote, the people who like to make believe that they're actually in World War II and who hate mirror matches will probably win. If Relic decides to do what's best for the competitive community, mirror matches will probably win, unless they're so boring or badly tuned that even competitive players don't want to play them.
13 Jan 2013, 22:46 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I mean, there's no idea about the metagame because the game is not even out, most of the stuff we played in the alpha was more like a "placeholder" of the real stuff we'll play in the retail game.
13 Jan 2013, 22:49 PM
Senior Caster Badge

And we never know if Relic will massively change the metagame like they did with Dawn of War II a little while after release - they rebalanced a ton of stuff.
13 Jan 2013, 22:52 PM
Benefactor 115

We'll know how COH2 really is maybe 1 year after launch, both when playing normal games and mirrors (if Relic includes them). 1 year at least because it's the time usually needed to fix the major problems/unbalances/find out the majority of the exploits.

Sometimes it takes longer than a year for the dominant meta to emerge in some games. 10 more years!
13 Jan 2013, 23:01 PM

Guys, it was just a reference to the SSSSS build, but with mortars instead :p.

Either way, if a lot of compstompers vote (or whatever, maybe just whine on the official forums) Relic can't just ignore them, and how will they know who's a compstomper?
PAGES (29)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS