Login

russian armor

Mirror Match

PAGES (29)down
27 Dec 2012, 07:05 AM

By RNG, you mean the randomnmess of accuracy and critical hits evening out because both sides hold the same statistics, and it boils down to bare luck?

28 Dec 2012, 01:49 AM
Patrion 15

It has to go. It's not starcraft. It doesn't suit this game completely. Relic talked for hours about authenticity, i hope it only stays in alfa/beta.

Agreed. It's a historic WW2 RTS not space marines. Mirror matches totally ruin the realism that is the underlying basis for the game. Relic has done so much historic research and by allowing mirror matches or mixed matches, would undo all this work.
28 Dec 2012, 04:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge

this thread is becoming the equivalent of the GR balance forums. :(
28 Dec 2012, 04:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2012, 04:12 AMWiFiDi

yeah...
28 Dec 2012, 04:30 AM

Relic is planning on creating two styles of maps right? Competitive maps that are more symmetrical and balanced, and Battlefield maps that are asymmetrical like the classic coh maps.

Just create two ranked ladders, one will be authentic axis vs allies battles that are strictly on asymmetrical battlefield maps, while the other ladder will be for competitive players to play with teams free on the competitive maps in 1v1.
28 Dec 2012, 05:02 AM

having two ranked systems will defeat some of the purposes of mirror matching
28 Dec 2012, 05:13 AM

How so? I don't see how it's any different from having separate ladders for 1v1 and 2v2.
28 Dec 2012, 05:41 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2012, 05:02 AMMVGame
having two ranked systems will defeat some of the purposes of mirror matching

instead of a sperate ladder id rather see a stat for all your non mirror match reocord. instead then you can sort who has the best non mirror match record instead of a whole ladder. sperating the game pools is a bad idea.
28 Dec 2012, 06:13 AM

The players that are going to be playing these asymmetrical maps are not going to be interested in playing mirrors or using the symmetrical maps. They should have an automatch they can use to find like minded players as well.
28 Dec 2012, 07:27 AM

Splitting the community is far worse than having mirror matches. It's not a way to go. The question for me is "can they do a balanced enough (for ivory tower dwellers) asymmetrical game?" If the answer is "Yes" then I'm strongly against mirrors for the reasons stated already. If "No" - well, that's sad.
28 Dec 2012, 11:31 AM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2012, 04:12 AMWiFiDi

We're not quite there yet m'thinks.

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2012, 07:27 AMomn1vor
Splitting the community is far worse than having mirror matches.

+1
29 Dec 2012, 20:54 PM

The worst case senario of having mirror matches is that payers become, solely wehr or purely Russian. That would ruin the community, It great that top players have to play both factions and gives them a better prescriptive when dealing with balance.
30 Dec 2012, 03:58 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Yes, just like Starcraft and Starcraft 2 have been ruined by competitive players only playing one race instead of 3.
30 Dec 2012, 08:41 AM

If SC is such a great game, why don't you play it instead of CoH? My worst nightmare is that CoH would become another SC-clone.
30 Dec 2012, 12:02 PM

Agreed. It's a historic WW2 RTS not space marines. Mirror matches totally ruin the realism that is the underlying basis for the game. Relic has done so much historic research and by allowing mirror matches or mixed matches, would undo all this work.

Agreed. All those zombie grenadiers made in the WWII would turn in their graves, if they heard about unrealism like this.

Also, shoutout to vehicles made in the 1930-1945 cycle. Even when hit by a huge piece of artillery on their side, they could still keep going at full strenght by only getting their turret damaged. People can't make stuff like that anymore.

At least people have evolved into being able to climb over sandbags these days.

Don't touch the realism on COH games please!
30 Dec 2012, 12:24 PM

This thread evolves into a sarcasm-mudwrestling... Abandoning!

Greets
Schepp himself
30 Dec 2012, 17:09 PM
Benefactor 115

I personally want mirrors since it makes organising tournaments much easier so we don't have to use the VP leader rule in the deciding matches and even use BO1 for the early rounds.

Now for those guys who don't want mirrors what fairer solutions can you come up with than what we currently have.
30 Dec 2012, 18:04 PM

I personally want mirrors since it makes organising tournaments much easier so we don't have to use the VP leader rule in the deciding matches and even use BO1 for the early rounds.

Now for those guys who don't want mirrors what fairer solutions can you come up with than what we currently have.

How about letting the VP leader choose the map or faction, and then the other player chooses the other item. E.g. the leader chooses Ango (from a pool of allowed maps), then the other player chooses Wehr, so the leader has to play as Allies. Or the leader chooses USA, and the other player chooses Semois and PE.
30 Dec 2012, 18:42 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Dec 2012, 08:41 AMomn1vor
If SC is such a great game, why don't you play it instead of CoH? My worst nightmare is that CoH would become another SC-clone.

Why yes, that is a perfectly relevant response to my point that mirror matches do not destroy competitive play by causing players to specialize in one race and thus have no sense of balance. I'm glad you've managed to argue against me effectively and I hope we can now all agree that I am wrong and wait hold on nope you're an idiot.

Just because I wrote "Starcraft" in my post doesn't mean I want CoH to be a SC clone. If you had any idea what we are talking about or why we are making the points we are making maybe you would have been able to realize that.

This entire thread is 40% good discussion, 30% unsupported claims, and 30% people attacking points that nobody is arguing for because they don't understand the discussion. It's frustrating but hey, welcome to the Internet I guess.
30 Dec 2012, 18:50 PM

That is a good idea. And adding mirror matches just¨for tournaments??
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS