Login

russian armor

An essay on Soviets and a radical proposal

16 Oct 2013, 00:30 AM

Actually, it looks like lend-lease bazookas inspired the panzershrek.

"In late 1942, numbers of early-production American M1 bazookas were captured by German troops from Russian forces who had been given quantities of the bazooka under Lend-Lease as well as during the Operation Torch invasions in the North African Campaign.[2] The Germans promptly developed their own version of the weapon, increasing the diameter of the warhead from 60 mm to 88 mm (2.4 to 3.5 in). In German service, the bazooka was popularly known as the Panzerschreck."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka#World_War_II
16 Oct 2013, 00:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2013, 19:35 PMDanielD
I think T1 would benefit from some handheld AT.

i just remembered how powerful sniper scout car combo is, i don't think t1 should have any AT at all, the only real counter to the soviet scout car is the german scout car, and if you have to dodge not only high speed conscripts with AT nades but also additional t1 AT units to kill the soviet sniper combo than it's going be a lot harder to destroy such a powerful unit.
16 Oct 2013, 00:59 AM
16 Oct 2013, 01:21 AM

Don't be part of the problem man, be part of the solution!
16 Oct 2013, 02:20 AM

Soviets uses lot of AT during war. Not just field guns and AT rifles. They had some nice AT granades such RPG-6 and RPG-43, both was able to penetrate 75 mm of armor. Yep, they used of bundles too. But in Coh only the Panzerfaus penetrates and crits in 99.9% of the time.

In early war they used even AA 85-guns K-52 to stop panzers.

In WW2 it was enough to stop the tank, not to destroy it. But we can't take such approach in the game, right?
16 Oct 2013, 02:23 AM

honestly if it was up to me, i'd remove AT nades and panzerfaust damaging engines, and just give them a damage increase, like coh1
16 Oct 2013, 03:11 AM

honestly if it was up to me, i'd remove AT nades and panzerfaust damaging engines, and just give them a damage increase, like coh1

But it's needed. Without damaged engine the at guns can't keep the tanks in it's arc. It's meant so you can't just rush headlong into a supported pack take a hit and get behind where the At gun is completely useless.

Either way, the next patch should bring some increase in soviet infantry based AT. THe developers did say that it was going to make soviets less reliant on guards. Maybe we will see AT nades do significant damage.
16 Oct 2013, 03:25 AM

having some form of AP rounds would be nice, but then ZiS will have to lose their barrage ability, which is pretty handy at times when soviet mortar just doesnt do its job effectively enough.

if we give bazookas, who deserves it? penals seems to be a good choice, but it really funnels soviet player into the construction of t1, which imo, long build times and expensive too.

now the inflexibility of soviets is really starting to show.

1 step forward half a step back?
16 Oct 2013, 03:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Oct 2013, 02:20 AMcarloff
Soviets uses lot of AT during war. Not just field guns and AT rifles. They had some nice AT granades such RPG-6 and RPG-43, both was able to penetrate 75 mm of armor. Yep, they used of bundles too. But in Coh only the Panzerfaus penetrates and crits in 99.9% of the time.

In early war they used even AA 85-guns K-52 to stop panzers.

In WW2 it was enough to stop the tank, not to destroy it. But we can't take such approach in the game, right?

yea, but it only takes one panzerfaust to kill off the entire crew in a soviet tank, yet in this game the panzerfaust only damages the engine or bounce of the su85 and the is2.
16 Oct 2013, 03:36 AM

Yeah, I definitely don't want Soviets to gain too much overall. I still think that Soviets are pretty close to where they need to be. It's just a matter of picking and choosing exactly which benefit they get out of the many possible options.
16 Oct 2013, 03:38 AM

yea, but it only takes one panzerfaust to kill off the entire crew in a soviet tank, yet in this game the panzerfaust only damages the engine or bounce of the su85 and the is2.

the IS-2 is more than a match for panthers, yet in the game it has problems dealing with them. historical accuracy must give way to balance. german has more than enough dps with regards to AT, having a disable is worth mroe than another shot
16 Oct 2013, 08:18 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Oct 2013, 13:35 PMTurtle
It is not the player's job to have to learn every detailed stat in the game. Not only that, if everything about a unit that was specifically made by the developers says they are expendable assault troops, it's very safe for a player to assume they are expendable assault troops, and to be disappointed when they don't quite work as such for their cost.

I really think this is important. I very confident that the majority of the playerbase is not lingering or reading on the forums to read up on stats. And even so, there seems to be alot of misconceptions.

@Omega_Warrior
Yes they were talking about making soviet less reliant on guards, but are you sure that there is more being done than the ATG changes already made.

About AT capabilities and soviet massproduction of ATGs, perhaps they could put the doctrinal (Urban defense)45mm ATG into t3 for 250 mp or so. It is easily killed, but still quite fast and can do a dent in ostheer mediums. This would somewhat open up for t1-t3 builds. However, this might upset balance to much, double up units already available in a commander (decreasing interest in buying that commander?). Altogether changes that might be a to big undertaking for relic at the moment. A simpler solution might be to actually reduce the price of the Zis and or introduce some kind of ACPR ability for some muni at vet1.
16 Oct 2013, 09:25 AM

My recent observation from watching replays and playing the game.

It's ridiculously easy for a German player to come back even if Soviet had control over map almost the entire game.
16 Oct 2013, 10:18 AM

Permanently Banned
My recent observation from watching replays and playing the game.

It's ridiculously easy for a German player to come back even if Soviet had control over map almost the entire game.

What game mode are you referring to?

Any particular specific Commanders?
16 Oct 2013, 10:43 AM

Just in general.
I think is about Soviets lacking a valid AT option like Germans have. Panther, Tiger - there are excellent tanks and Soviet only safe option is IS-2 but this is expensive, late game and still very vulnerable.
You can't relax for a moment as Soviet because every mistake can cost you a game. It's not the same for Germans. You only have to build critical mass of tanks and you're safe. You'll gain Vet1 eventually. It's not that its very hard to get and then you can roll over the battlefield smoking and blitzing to safety when needed.
SU-85 nerf was too much. Yeah I know it should be a defensive unit, kept at back but again with blitz it's like walking in the park for a Panther to get behind. It's not even that Panther needed a boost against SU-85. The only thing this tank destroyer dominated was PIV. Panther could and still can go toe to toe with SU-85.
16 Oct 2013, 10:48 AM

Permanently Banned
Ill assume 2v2+ then.
16 Oct 2013, 11:23 AM

No. 1v1 and 2v2 are modes I play with 2v2 being dominant as I usually play with mates.
3v3+ I play for fun and don't consider them competitive.

I'm always talking 1v1 and 2v2 in all my posts.
16 Oct 2013, 21:37 PM

But the design of Soviets means you need above average micro to beat someone with average micro, and you'll still need to pull a rabbit out of your hat to put in the final blow (usually a commander item). Whereas I think many Ostheer players don't even feel they NEED their commander abilities and they're kind of like icing on the cake. A Tiger is great, but enough 3 PZiVs will do fine as well. Contrast that to Soviets who will just not win with any combination of T-34s and SU-85s once enough LMGs have been upgraded and shrek-wielding panzergrens are on the field.

This is my experience also and my micro is quite mediocre.

I can work in my sweat to try and pull off a victory as SU. When I switch to german side, I can have breakfast or lunch as I play and still win.

That just doesn't feel right. I'm all for having two diverse factions, but the overall difficulty of playing them should be about the same IMO.
16 Oct 2013, 22:17 PM

Anyone who acts like they can play german afk and beat anyone by just making 5 grens with LMGs before pulling 3 tigers out of their ass needs to wise up. Go play a top tier soviet player, I promise you its not that easy
17 Oct 2013, 05:17 AM

Anyone who acts like they can play german afk and beat anyone by just making 5 grens with LMGs before pulling 3 tigers out of their ass needs to wise up. Go play a top tier soviet player, I promise you its not that easy

Are you really having a hard time understanding what people are saying?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★