Login

russian armor

How to open as Soviets? (2v2)

3 May 2019, 17:47 PM

I made a thread like this in the strategy forum but it's got 0 responses, so I'm posting it in the alive section of the forum but in a shortened format. I just came back to the game last week or so, played lots of games.

I don't know what you're supposed to open with as this faction. I play more or less Soviets, Ost, UKF and OKW and in order of ease from easiest to most clunky, I feel it goes Ost > OKW > Soviets+UKF. With Soviets I find that T2 doesn't work against Ost because of their snipers (and maxims feel like they've been nerfed but I haven't checked the changelog), while T1 doesn't work against OKW because they'll beat your first units and then swarm you. T1 doesn't work either against Osts who go assault grens or fast T2. And as it's always been, you cannot open with only conscripts against either faction.

So as Soviets, are you supposed to go cons + snipers against Ost and spam maxims against OKW and that's it? Or what are you supposed to do? And how can you predict which one to go when you don't know who you're facing?

Thanks

PS And like I alluded to earlier, this is not a "fanboy" post. I play both sides, I just feel after playing that it's easier to win with Axis and in particular with Ost. I consistently go a solid T1 opening of 2-3 grens, 1-2 mgs and 1-2 mortars - I honestly feel I don't even need to adapt with a sniper against maxims, even though that's what other Osts do against me when I play Soviets -, fuel caches that you can afford thanks to your good units, pick CAS commander and the fuel drop is even unlocked earlier thanks to fuel caches, rush T3 or T4 and maybe use a few stock fausts/teller mines meanwhile or just give up the map, reinforce and heal your units for a moment to buy the minimal time you might still need for your tank, and then it's soon gg. I consistently win this way and haven't found anything that gives me trouble so far other than things like immediately disconnected or afk allies, so I feel it's easy to play against Soviets as well.
3 May 2019, 18:43 PM

T1 is actually much better against OKW than it is against Ost. OKW has no early panzerfaust so its easy to bully them with penals/flame engineers in scout car. And it is possible to just do a 4 conscript opening as that will give you early map presence and you can choose a commander with PPsh'es for better scaling.
3 May 2019, 18:58 PM

The Clowncar (M3A1 + CE with the ROKS-3 flamethrower) works wonders against OKW who lack early fausts (and later have shorter faust ranges), on open maps with few obstacles you can outplay Ostheer with it but it is more micro intensive. My buildorder for the opening is usually 1-2 extra CE to cap after 2 CE a fast M3A1 or after 1 CE a penal battalion then the M3A1, i usually go for 2 penals and try to fight as much as possible with the Clowncar to get CPs fast then add some elite infantry (Shocks on closequarters, Guards on open maps).
It migth be okay to bleed as long as you can hold out until the T70 to turn the game around, be careful if you play against okw and notice more then one raketen or a puma - then it might be useful to get some M42 AT-Guns, Guards or maybe a 2nd T70 or SU-76 as backup for the first and after a heavy t3 a Call-In Tank.

If you want to play T2 strats you could watch D0ggY (https://www.twitch.tv/d0ggylulz) when he play soviets in 2v2.

It might be useful if you post a replay in the replay review section if you have troubles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★