Login

russian armor

Camoed AT not firing?

7 Oct 2013, 09:54 AM

Before I dig into this, I'd like to hear if anyone else has had problems with camoed AT going inactive?

I've had it happen in two 3v3+ games now that some of my camoed AT didn't fire and couldn't be accessed. I.e. I could neither move them nor remove their camo. And above all: they didn't fire, which kind of made my whole plan of positioning camoed AT come crushing Down.

This could in theory be due to lag - I'm not sure? But it does strike me as odd that this particular kind of unit should lag more than other units. If the game as such is flowing allreight, why should AT in particular be lagging?

I could provide a replay, but how can a replay show that a unit was inaccessible?
7 Oct 2013, 11:08 AM

I only used camo twice, I thought it doesn't fire by design until the camo is removed......
7 Oct 2013, 11:10 AM

Heya Bulldog,

I don't think I have ever had the issue your describing but I have felt no fire effects before when using camo.

If one of the guys responsible for firing the gun dies whilst in camo mode, it takes like 5-10seconds for one of the other guys to walk over and fill his place. The whole squad movements/animations is slowed when in camo mode. Hence, the moment I fire that first shot I immediately take off camo just incase one guys dies.

Not the same issue, but might shead some insight maybe.
7 Oct 2013, 11:23 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I only used camo twice, I thought it doesn't fire by design until the camo is removed......

The guns will fire automatically while in camo, unless you give them a Hold Fire order.
7 Oct 2013, 11:58 AM

The guns will fire automatically while in camo, unless you give them a Hold Fire order.

It was a while ago, I may have used Hold Fire and forgot about it. Or had that issue, that Stephen is describing..

Either way, thanks for clearing up that for me.
8 Oct 2013, 09:31 AM

You're in for a pleasant surprise, Baba. Camo is very, very helpfull.

And thanks to Stephen for the hint. It makes sense and I'll be looking for it as a possible cause.

At a related topic, I noticed how LOS doesn't always Work in an intuitive way. If you position a unit behind a bush or something, it may pe pixels deciding if the units has LOS or not. If it doesn't fire, it may mean it doesn't have LOS. And in such cases I have been able to give them LOS by moving the unit a tiny bit.

While this may make sense IRL, I think it's bad for gameplay. A terrain cover entity should either allow or deny LOS in all it range.
10 Oct 2013, 19:09 PM

You're in for a pleasant surprise, Baba. Camo is very, very helpfull.

And thanks to Stephen for the hint. It makes sense and I'll be looking for it as a possible cause.

At a related topic, I noticed how LOS doesn't always Work in an intuitive way. If you position a unit behind a bush or something, it may pe pixels deciding if the units has LOS or not. If it doesn't fire, it may mean it doesn't have LOS. And in such cases I have been able to give them LOS by moving the unit a tiny bit.

While this may make sense IRL, I think it's bad for gameplay. A terrain cover entity should either allow or deny LOS in all it range.

I've seen a similar LOS issue with TrueSight a lot lately and it's cost me heavily in several major engagements. It can be tough to tell if a specific unit actually has LOS when there are other units providing vision in the area. If you're dealing with a fragile/ranged unit and you think it has LOS and try to force it to attack a specific unit, it could end up trying to run up and punch it in the nose because it didn't actually have LOS. I'm not talking about the obvious things like buildings, more like when it's low grass or a tree branch. ;)

I'd like to see a small indicator on the cursor perhaps if you have a unit selected and mouse over an enemy unit that the selected unit doesn't have LOS on.
11 Oct 2013, 08:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Oct 2013, 19:09 PMHawk

I'd like to see a small indicator on the cursor perhaps if you have a unit selected and mouse over an enemy unit that the selected unit doesn't have LOS on.

Good idea. Or simply something in the cone display of MGs and AT that show what parts are in and out of LOS/true sight.
11 Oct 2013, 13:09 PM

Good idea. Or simply something in the cone display of MGs and AT that show what parts are in and out of LOS/true sight.

That would be an improvement, but the units I'm most concerned with are ones like the sniper or SU-85. If you think your sniper has a clear shot and you tell it to force fire on a high priority target in the middle of a large battle, it sometimes decides to run up in the face of the target and usually ends up dead. Same with the SU-85 which depends on its range and doesn't have the best mobility. It can turn the tide of a battle when one of these units wigs out unexpectedly because a pixel gets in the way of their sight!
11 Oct 2013, 15:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2013, 13:09 PMHawk

That would be an improvement, but the units I'm most concerned with are ones like the sniper or SU-85. If you think your sniper has a clear shot and you tell it to force fire on a high priority target in the middle of a large battle, it sometimes decides to run up in the face of the target and usually ends up dead. Same with the SU-85 which depends on its range and doesn't have the best mobility. It can turn the tide of a battle when one of these units wigs out unexpectedly because a pixel gets in the way of their sight!

I agree. This is an issue that Relic has to fix. The units that run up and die can ruin the whole game. Something has to be changed...

When I order my ZiS or SU-85 to fire, I always have to make sure they won't start running into the enemy. This is the waste of seconds that I need for microing something else.

I wonder if Relic will ever do anything about it.
11 Oct 2013, 18:13 PM

But how would you display where a sniper has LOS or not?

It sort of requires a whole new set of interface and display. I doubt they'd do that by now. There's no money in it.
11 Oct 2013, 18:43 PM

Some kind of "Hold Ground" order would help, where you have the units shoot from their current position, but do not move.

This issue is also frustrating when you click an HMG to attack an infantry squad and it begins packing up instead of firing, allowing the infantry squad to rush in and kill you. Especially with the long set-up time of the MG42.

12 Oct 2013, 02:32 AM

But how would you display where a sniper has LOS or not?

It sort of requires a whole new set of interface and display. I doubt they'd do that by now. There's no money in it.

That is why my suggestion is that the cursor change to indicate the unit doesn't have LOS. for example if you have a sniper selected and you move the cursor over a gren squad that the sniper doesn't actually have LOS on the cursor would change to something that would indicate the lack of LOS. That shouldn't be THAT hard or costly to implement.
14 Oct 2013, 07:40 AM

I have had this issue with the camo ability. I have assumed it was glitched and haven't used it since.
14 Oct 2013, 11:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2013, 02:32 AMHawk

That is why my suggestion is that the cursor change to indicate the unit doesn't have LOS. for example if you have a sniper selected and you move the cursor over a gren squad that the sniper doesn't actually have LOS on the cursor would change to something that would indicate the lack of LOS. That shouldn't be THAT hard or costly to implement.

Oh, now I get it. That's a good one.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS