Login

russian armor

isu 152

6 Oct 2013, 23:00 PM

my favorite part in this game is to theorize a strategy and then polish it till it works.

i play mostly 2v2 and had a good thing going with getting t2 and the armored assault tactic.

after awhile i got bored and decided to go for a doc with isu152.
man it was disappointing.

this tank is located on the commander tree to be a game changer, like a tiger or is-2.
it is really not...

it cannot counter a tiger or elephant, (unless the other player fell a sleep)
i found it useful only if supported by at-least 2 t-34 and AT guns. but then... i can just get 2 su85 instead for same purpose.

i noticed that it is a game finisher, meaning if we are winning (unit wise not vp wise) it can be used to kill the enemy base from safe distance and really push them back because as of having smaller army they cant counter attack. NOT GOOD ENOUGH

maybe i am doing something wrong?
how do you guys use it if you use it at all?
6 Oct 2013, 23:20 PM

its supposed to wipe squads with 1 shot, thats what i use it for anyway.

not as AT, i just build AT guns or a su for that
6 Oct 2013, 23:26 PM

It's good against everything...except Elephants :(....
6 Oct 2013, 23:26 PM

why would anyone invest 290 fuel to kill infantry?
6 Oct 2013, 23:32 PM

Kills infantry?...To be more precise,it wipes infantry :)...the thing is a monster against infantry and very decent against heavier tanks
6 Oct 2013, 23:40 PM

the elefant is only good against other tanks but the isu152 destroys everything except the elefant. the tiger is not much of a game changer either, but the isu152 can destroy anything from a very long distance even the tiger.
7 Oct 2013, 00:24 AM

The Tiger in this patch is a game changer, just so long as the German player uses it smartly and doesn't get it killed in the first few minutes.

The problem with the ISU-152 isn't that it isn't effective as a unit. It's just that by the time you get enough CP and save enough resources to buy it, there are so many things out there that counter it. And Soviets can't afford to float much for long, so you only buy it if you're really dominating.

In team games, you're also highly likely to see an Elephant on the field sooner than the ISU-152, which counters it. It also fires and moves so slowly, and with such a narrow cone of fire that once the enemy knows where it is, and has anything to attack it.

However, back to strategy and gameplay. You definitely need to use the attack ground with the 152. It can shoot through a lot of stuff and the explosion is big enough that speculative fire into the fog can catch and reveal units.
7 Oct 2013, 01:31 AM

well just after i began bitching i actually had a killer game with this tank.

here is the replay

but still as i said before it was useful because i always had other tanks around

big thanx to my mate for a gg
7 Oct 2013, 02:24 AM

it is not useful in 1v1 or 2v2, it is more useful in 3v3 and 4v4 when u need some firepower behind the line, also keep it safe once it have 1 vet the consecrate AP round ability it become more useful in a tank fight. i find it can win against elefant just by use that ability alone. my best moment on that ability is my enemy has 3 panthers stacking so close it can be covered by that ability Area and my ISU152 was able to destroy 1 and make other two abandon just with that ability. i so wish i recorded it down instead just save the reply and now the replay is not playable.
7 Oct 2013, 03:43 AM

Well any tank that rushes it (Except a Stug) can kill it, it really doesn't do that much AT damage,and with all my times of using it I have NEVER EVER seen it one shot a squad. The best it has done is kill 3 men.
7 Oct 2013, 04:49 AM

Well any tank that rushes it (Except a Stug) can kill it, it really doesn't do that much AT damage,and with all my times of using it I have NEVER EVER seen it one shot a squad. The best it has done is kill 3 men.

no unit should be able to wipe squad in 1 shot since it is against the principle of that game: preserve your units to gain vet. if it can wipe infantry squad easily then it is OP and should be nerfed (KV8 should be nerfed i don't know why relic is not doing anything about it), isu152 can one shot kill 2-3 men is good enough to force Ost squad into retreat
7 Oct 2013, 04:52 AM

if you put a 290 fuel on it in an even fight, get ready for a loss, yes ISU-152 is great against infantry, but any German player who keep blobbing infantry in late game=Moron,especially team games
7 Oct 2013, 10:10 AM

of course mr adamantcommunist must put in his worthless biased posts ..... nobody even cares what you say anymore you overbiased crybaby.

You spew nothing but lies in all your posts. ISU152 never one shot a squad ? Sure continue the lies.
7 Oct 2013, 10:21 AM
Patrion 14

The ISU 152 can be a real pain in a close game if soviet are able to field it. It can really ruin ostheer capping VPs or attempting cutoffs if they are not paying attention. If protected, its a really good unit with awesome range. I do think they are viable in 2v2s, but perhaps more situational.
7 Oct 2013, 10:49 AM

Problem is, when you finally manage to scrape together 290 fuel the enemy usually has 1-2 panthers, maybe 3, possibly with som vet on it.

These three panthers usually then proceed to flank the ISU-152 and whipe it off the map with 3-4 shots because the ISU-152 is paper thin in COH2, shrecks tear through it at long range. It's probably the weakest armored tank out of all medium / heavy tanks which is kind of crazy because the ISU-152 was quote:

"a heavy assault gun, the ISU-152 was an extremely valuable weapon in urban combat operations such as the assaults on Berlin, Budapest and Königsberg. The vehicle's excellent armour protection finally provided the 152.4 mm platform with good protection from most German anti-tank guns, allowing it to advance into the face of direct anti-tank fire."
7 Oct 2013, 11:37 AM

Shreks tear through anything at long range. I honestly think they made shreks so powerful both to counter SU-85s specifically, but also to get German players to even consider using them compared to just buying more tanks and using PGrens as infantry killers.
7 Oct 2013, 11:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Oct 2013, 10:49 AMTivook
Problem is, when you finally manage to scrape together 290 fuel the enemy usually has 1-2 panthers, maybe 3, possibly with som vet on it.

These three panthers usually then proceed to flank the ISU-152 and whipe it off the map with 3-4 shots because the ISU-152 is paper thin in COH2, shrecks tear through it at long range. It's probably the weakest armored tank out of all medium / heavy tanks which is kind of crazy because the ISU-152 was quote:

"a heavy assault gun, the ISU-152 was an extremely valuable weapon in urban combat operations such as the assaults on Berlin, Budapest and Königsberg. The vehicle's excellent armour protection finally provided the 152.4 mm platform with good protection from most German anti-tank guns, allowing it to advance into the face of direct anti-tank fire."

1) The ISU-152 lacked the sloping. The front could withstand the 75mm/L48 guns. The Panther´s 75mm/L70 was a different matter.

2) By the time the ISU-152 can be called in, there usually is one Panther - if the German player skipped T3. If there are 3 Panthers you have been horribly outplayed without the German using T3.

3) The ISU-152´s performance is VERY map dependant. On some open maps it is underpowered as it´s easily flanked. On Pripjat for example it´s uncounterable and overpowered unless you have an Elefant.
7 Oct 2013, 12:07 PM

of course mr adamantcommunist must put in his worthless biased posts ..... nobody even cares what you say anymore you overbiased crybaby.

You spew nothing but lies in all your posts. ISU152 never one shot a squad ? Sure continue the lies.

The fact that ISU can one-shot squads doesn't give you the right to spew your idiotic kindergarden way of thinking and insults on the forums...
7 Oct 2013, 13:15 PM

i really want to see a cast of a good 2v2 with a well used isu152,
does anyone got any replays?

regarding the 3 panthers.. i think 3 is exaggeration. 2 panthers can be countered by isu and 2 2 t34, that's why it should be always surrounded by at-least 2 t34s to ram any german armor. some mines on it retreat path might be useful to cover retreat.

it is vetting so slow though...
did 5000 damage and only vet 2, ridiculous.
7 Oct 2013, 14:16 PM

:)
this one is great, supported by 2 at guns.

german manage to stay in the game by Opel truck, getting 13 fuel controlling only 1 sector.

replay by atr3uh
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS