Login

russian armor

How many IS/RE to build? (and many other questions)

9 Apr 2019, 22:47 PM

Just started playing the UKF and I'm having fun. Typically I play Ostheer but these 2 factions feel rather different. I'm having a tough time with some things unfortunately and I need help.

1) What's a standard amount of Infantry Sections/Royal Engies to have? I usually go 2IS,2RE, 1 UC and 1 MG. Is this okay? I am struggling with this. I feel like I don't have enough infantry power against blobs.

2) Aside from the Sherman Firefly what even is there as anti tank? The PIATs pretty much blow, especially with only 2 squads wielding it. The AT placement costs so much population, and is stationary. Sucks on a lot of maps.

3) Where do the Comet/Valentine/Cromwell even differ? I just don't get it. Ostheer is pretty simple. Stug III = better AT. Panther = Best AT and PZIV = All around.

4) Is the Crocodile worth it? I tried it once and imo it sucked ass. What's it's purpose?

5) Getting 2 Sextons, viable or not?

6) Running a commando commander, where do they come in with the build order and all? If you already got 2 IS, 2 RE, an MG and a UC. It seems more than one squad is just a waste of pop?

Other general tips also welcome, and explenations. Any up-to-date info. All the info I found on google was old and no longer viable. Thanks.
9 Apr 2019, 22:55 PM
Senior Editor Badge

4 IS + bolster upgrade + platoon upgrade + 1 medic upgrade (use this medic to heal all IS).

Always use only green, yellow and garrison cover. After that, you can go where your heart wants. :D

ps: Against OKW you can use one UC (with upgrade) in this build against SP and Volks (with heavy micro)
10 Apr 2019, 09:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Apr 2019, 22:55 PMnigo
4 IS + bolster upgrade + platoon upgrade + 1 medic upgrade (use this medic to heal all IS).

Always use only green, yellow and garrison cover. After that, you can go where your heart wants. :D

ps: Against OKW you can use one UC (with upgrade) in this build against SP and Volks (with heavy micro)

4 Infantry Sections, 3 with the arty upgrade and 1 medic? Okay that sounds good but what about Royal Engies? Just 1 squad? That doesn't seem viable to me. There is so much repairs to be done late game that you basically need 2 - 3 Royal Engies.
10 Apr 2019, 22:07 PM

4 IS with upgrades as suggested before. Healing on most, ONE arty upgrade if you are not planning to make a sniper (it has the upgrade for free). And 2 RE for sweeping/repair/capping.
10 Apr 2019, 22:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2019, 22:07 PMPereat
4 IS with upgrades as suggested before. Healing on most, ONE arty upgrade if you are not planning to make a sniper (it has the upgrade for free). And 2 RE for sweeping/repair/capping.

Sounds solid, but what about Commandos? If I go a heavy commando doctrine. Then: 2IS, 2 Commandos, 2 RE? Something like that or?
10 Apr 2019, 23:52 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2019, 22:42 PMVeniCRO

Sounds solid, but what about Commandos? If I go a heavy commando doctrine. Then: 2IS, 2 Commandos, 2 RE? Something like that or?

You need more early power until Commandos arrive at 3 CP.

Try 2 IS + 1 MG + 1 UC + + 1RE
11 Apr 2019, 10:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2019, 23:52 PMnigo

You need more early power until Commandos arrive at 3 CP.

Try 2 IS + 1 MG + 1 UC + + 1RE

I will give it a try. So to prepare for the mid/late game I'm thinking of the following build (in no particular order): 2 IS, 1 MG, 1 UC, 2 RE, 2 Commandos.

The UC I will likely lose anyway but yea you get the point.
11 Apr 2019, 10:54 AM

What mode are you playing? I play team games so my advice will revolve around 2v2+

Typically go 3 IS, UC, 2 RE. Depending on the map and the game I will add an mg and/or add a sniper that replaces one of the REs. The starting build is also dependent on matchup. I would possibly skip the UC for an extra IS against ost while keeping the UC and maybe adding an MG against OKW. OKW has always been weak against early LVs such as the scout car. As such the UC is an important tool in holding off Volks/sturms early. Against OST IS can easily hold off Grens so the UC isn't needed to help IS as much early.

The AEC is good AT until mediums arrive. Even so the AEC can deal with mediums. The cromwell is essentially the medium tank aka same tier as Sherman/p4/t3476 for UKF and the comet is the premium medium tank aka same tier as t3485, E8, Sherman 76, Panther etc. The Comet is pretty bad right now however and I would not recommend getting it. The valentine is a replacement for the AEC, it has slightly less AT power for much better AI power.

The AT gun for Brits is really good. It also gets bonus accuracy against LVs which makes it pretty damn accurate against them. Also remember that REs have snares now which helps the AT gun a lot in securing kills or preventing circle strafing.

Croc is map dependent on its usefulness. If the map is close quartered and has lots of garrisons its great, on wide open maps its bad.

Double Sextons are viable in team games. This of course depends on how the game goes and if you need something to smash static defenses in the late game. Make sure either you or your teammate has proper at to defend the artillery.

Commandos I would limit to 1-2 squads. Anymore than that would cause severe bleed and pop issues. If you know for certain you are planning on going commandos I would recommend no more than 2-3 IS. 4 IS plus a commando squad is too much bleed.

Heres a small tip about picking between the cromwell and the centaur. If you have been ahead of the opponent most of the game and have superior income I would recommend the centaur. The centaur imo has better shock value so if you can get it before they can get a medium it can reek havoc on infantry squads. I'd also recommend the centaur if you have 1-2 at guns + AEC that can defend it. The cromwell is better if you know that the p4 is coming soon since atleast the cromwell can somewhat combat the p4.
11 Apr 2019, 12:28 PM

What mode are you playing? I play team games so my advice will revolve around 2v2+

Typically go 3 IS, UC, 2 RE. Depending on the map and the game I will add an mg and/or add a sniper that replaces one of the REs. The starting build is also dependent on matchup. I would possibly skip the UC for an extra IS against ost while keeping the UC and maybe adding an MG against OKW. OKW has always been weak against early LVs such as the scout car. As such the UC is an important tool in holding off Volks/sturms early. Against OST IS can easily hold off Grens so the UC isn't needed to help IS as much early.

The AEC is good AT until mediums arrive. Even so the AEC can deal with mediums. The cromwell is essentially the medium tank aka same tier as Sherman/p4/t3476 for UKF and the comet is the premium medium tank aka same tier as t3485, E8, Sherman 76, Panther etc. The Comet is pretty bad right now however and I would not recommend getting it. The valentine is a replacement for the AEC, it has slightly less AT power for much better AI power.

The AT gun for Brits is really good. It also gets bonus accuracy against LVs which makes it pretty damn accurate against them. Also remember that REs have snares now which helps the AT gun a lot in securing kills or preventing circle strafing.

Croc is map dependent on its usefulness. If the map is close quartered and has lots of garrisons its great, on wide open maps its bad.

Double Sextons are viable in team games. This of course depends on how the game goes and if you need something to smash static defenses in the late game. Make sure either you or your teammate has proper at to defend the artillery.

Commandos I would limit to 1-2 squads. Anymore than that would cause severe bleed and pop issues. If you know for certain you are planning on going commandos I would recommend no more than 2-3 IS. 4 IS plus a commando squad is too much bleed.

Heres a small tip about picking between the cromwell and the centaur. If you have been ahead of the opponent most of the game and have superior income I would recommend the centaur. The centaur imo has better shock value so if you can get it before they can get a medium it can reek havoc on infantry squads. I'd also recommend the centaur if you have 1-2 at guns + AEC that can defend it. The cromwell is better if you know that the p4 is coming soon since atleast the cromwell can somewhat combat the p4.

Hey, thanks for replying to all my questions. This was the reply I was looking for. To begin with, I play 4v4 and 3v3 (preferrably 3v3). I plan to go down to 2v2 once I understand this faction better.

I do have a problem with population when I play UKF. I can't seem to properly form my army in the "right way" just like with Ostheer. I will try what you said, however I do NOT play without an MG. Never ever. It's one of my main counters to blobs and works wonders. Without it I would lost most of my games. So I can go 3IS, 2RE, 1 MG and UC is situational depending on OKW/OST.

The thing is you can always send the UC on a suicide mission if you don't want it taking up pop or w/e.

Anyhow, I have tried to play with only 1 Commando squad and I did not like it. I still made so much damage with them the last game. Wiping 5 team weapons, destroying a tank with a satchel and wiping countless squads. I feel like I need 2 commandos to accomplish my playstyle. I love to ambush and micro is not my problem. Likewise, I find that using the sniper in combination with commandos (if you can) is an absolute monster tactic. So for me Commandos are a must tbh..

I usually go AEC, I have learned that the AEC is a beast and I absolutely love it. The Comet has been dissappointing so I usually go Cromwell + Firefly. I will consider the Valentine from that one doctrine. Thank you.

I have had success with the AT gun. And I usually only use 1 though. What about using 2? Do you think that is ever viable? I tend to go for a AT emplacement if the enemy is super armoured. Tends to work.

The Sexton is something I've had success with, especially against OKW halftracks. It demolishes their ability to relax. And I will consider getting 2 of them in a team game where the rest of my team has proper AT/Tanks so I don't waste fuel.

The Centaur is something I hate to play against as Ostheer, it slaughters infantry so I prefer to go for a Centaur if I can. I'm just afraid of the enemy pulling out a PZIV/Stug and I have no tank power to compensate with. Also an Anti-Air the Centaur is good I hope?

Thanks again for the tips. I've noted some stuff down.
11 Apr 2019, 21:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2019, 12:28 PMVeniCRO

snip

Okay I primarily play 4v4 so it should be fine in 3v3.

Vickers MG is solid if it can get to vet 2. At vet 2 is gets a suppression bonus and is vital for its late game viability. Luckily its pretty easy to get to vet 2 since its high damage gives it lots of vet. The hardest thing about the Vickers imo is that you have to keep it alive with vet for it to be good, considering the tools all factions have late for wiping squads that can be difficult at times.

The UC will typically die once a LV comes out. If not its fine to suicide it if you need pop for something more important.

If 2 commandos is your thing then by all means go ahead with it. Just know to limit the amount of other squads you have. I would recommend going to 1 RE instead of 2 then and max 3 IS.

The valentine might come out slightly later than the AEC since there is higher resource income in big team games. However it should be able to deal with all LVs except a puma easily.

I usually only go one. 2 is great if you plan on going centaur rush and skip AEC and need the AT. In other situations 1 at gun + aec is better.

The AA on the centaur is fantastic. Typically it will destroy a plane in a single burst. The centaur is great against retreating squads also.

The centaur is solid if you have proper AT fielded. At Guns and a AEC can ward off mediums decently, while mine can prevent diving. Also in 3v3-4v4 typically you can rely on a teammate getting a medium tank or TD early.
11 Apr 2019, 22:29 PM

3-4 Tommies with a UC against OKW and a Vickers after you tech Tier 2 and get out a squad of Sappers and an AT Gun for enemy light's. After that go AEC if multiple light's are causing problems. Bolster your Tommies and press for a Cromwell/ Firefly and then go Churchill or Crocodile.
12 Apr 2019, 17:30 PM

Okay I primarily play 4v4 so it should be fine in 3v3.

Vickers MG is solid if it can get to vet 2. At vet 2 is gets a suppression bonus and is vital for its late game viability. Luckily its pretty easy to get to vet 2 since its high damage gives it lots of vet. The hardest thing about the Vickers imo is that you have to keep it alive with vet for it to be good, considering the tools all factions have late for wiping squads that can be difficult at times.

The UC will typically die once a LV comes out. If not its fine to suicide it if you need pop for something more important.

If 2 commandos is your thing then by all means go ahead with it. Just know to limit the amount of other squads you have. I would recommend going to 1 RE instead of 2 then and max 3 IS.

The valentine might come out slightly later than the AEC since there is higher resource income in big team games. However it should be able to deal with all LVs except a puma easily.

I usually only go one. 2 is great if you plan on going centaur rush and skip AEC and need the AT. In other situations 1 at gun + aec is better.

The AA on the centaur is fantastic. Typically it will destroy a plane in a single burst. The centaur is great against retreating squads also.

The centaur is solid if you have proper AT fielded. At Guns and a AEC can ward off mediums decently, while mine can prevent diving. Also in 3v3-4v4 typically you can rely on a teammate getting a medium tank or TD early.

I find the Vickers to be useful regardless of vet. Honestly, any MG is needed these days. OKW blobs are no joke and sometimes you are pushed back to your base if you don't have a Vickers. I know it's not immortal but neither is the mighty MG42.

1 RE is too little. If you need to repair vehicles or emplacements, 1 RE can only do so much. So I'm going 2 RE and 1 Commando. Instead what I like to do mid/late game is sacrifice the third infantry section or such because in all honesty they are not that useful late game. Certainly not as useful as Commandos or RE.

I have not had good luck playing 3v3 or 4v4 with this faction. Been struggling heavily against OKW blobbing and Ost MG spam.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★