Login

russian armor

Advice on Ostheer vehicles

22 Mar 2019, 09:44 AM

Hi guys, I'm a new player and i have picked up playing Ostheer as my first faction that I want to get good at. After watching a bunch of casts and reading trough some of the guides i find that a lot of people suggest getting a flamer halftrack as the first light vehicle to put pressure on enemy infantry. I, on the other hand, have found myself almost always choosing to build a 222 Scout Car instead as it seems that it can provide at least a bit of help against enemy light vehicles while being also good against infantry.

So, my first question would be when and why would you choose to build a flamer halftrack instead of the 222 and vice versa?

The other thing I have found myself struggling about is when I am falling behind in the midgame and get to building medium armor. I would always try to field a Panzer IV first, but if I am running low on resources I go for a Stug III instead and that is where my second question comes in.

How do you make the most use of a Stug III against enemy armor, as I have found myself mostly getting outmaneuvered if I choose a Stug, and falling behind even further?

22 Mar 2019, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Welcome to CoH2.org!

The Sdkfz. 251 Flamer HT is undeniably the more lethal WM light vehicle. It is very strong on maps with garrisons and very effective against British emplacements. I would get a 251 over the 222 if the map was urban (lots of buildings, such as Arnhem Checkpoint) and/or if your opponent has built a Mortar Emplacement.

However, as you mentioned, the Sdkfz. 222 is the better overall pick because it can handle both anti-infantry and anti-vehicle duties. Get a 222 in most cases.

WM is all about supporting your units with other units. In a phrase, "combined arms". After your light vehicle (or two), get a 7.5cm Pak 40 and keep it near the vehicle (along with a supporting Grenadier for the Panzerfaust).

The StuG III Ausf. G is very strong due to it's high DPM. However, microing StuG III Ausf. Gs is more difficult than a Panzer IV as it does not have a turret. If you are being chased, keep backing up the StuG, all the way back to your base if necessary.

Also, what I said about the WM being all about combined arms applies here as well. Keep another source of AT (a Pak or another StuG; StuGs are extremely strong in pairs) and a or two Grenadier near the Stug. Compliment your AT firepower with some machine guns or the like.

Good luck on the battlefield!
25 Mar 2019, 19:22 PM

Permanently Banned
Atomic gave excellent advice. However as a beginner, I'd suggest u use allied light vehicles first as they are bulletproof and more forgiving. Just get pgrens (which aren't exactly easy to use either) and paks. Ost is hands down teh weakest faction, you've been warned.
26 Mar 2019, 11:28 AM

Pretty much what Atomic said. The 251 does a lot more damage, but it also costs munitions to upgrade and can't fight vehicles.

Also remember that the 222 isn't a light tank: it can take damage from small arms fire close up. This usually isn't a problem for it as it can outrun any infantry that start damaging it.

However, be careful not to get too close to infantry with anti-tank grenades. Those abilities will damage the 222's engine and it won't be able to reverse away. A mob of infantry can then destroy it.
30 Mar 2019, 04:52 AM

Atomic gave excellent advice. However as a beginner, I'd suggest u use allied light vehicles first as they are bulletproof and more forgiving. Just get pgrens (which aren't exactly easy to use either) and paks. Ost is hands down teh weakest faction, you've been warned.

Not even close. It sounds like you've never once played the Western Allies.
8 Aug 2019, 16:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Mar 2019, 04:52 AMCODGUY

Not even close. It sounds like you've never once played the Western Allies.

there no such thing like one faction stronger than other., there are good players and bad players.
Ostheer in an expert hand can won a game without commanders.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★