Login

russian armor

Soviet Booby Trap Discussion and Suggestion

26 Sep 2013, 23:39 PM

At the moment, this costs 100 munitions and triggers as soon as the enemy steps foot into the radius of the sector.

I am unaware of how this can be countered. If there is anyone with some insight on this, please share.

My suggestion is this; what if the booby trap worked the same as the PE booby trap in vCoH, only at a cost, say, 25-50 munis for example? Since capping in CoH2 implements AoE, this would be trickier however. Maybe it could have a ticker and a 1-2 second count-down time (as the PE booby trap), giving the player enough time to micro his troops in and out of the sector/radius of impact.

Also, it would be nice if pioneers with minesweepers could detect and defuse it once capping the point, rendering them useless. This would at least create incentive on purchasing the mine defusal kit, which is so often bypassed for a flamethrower upgrade.

I think this would make traps more usable, yet at a cost within a range which causes dilemma, since players will have to choose whether to spend munis on traps, molotovs, mines, flamers, AT nades, etc. Another benefit is that it will introduce another element of micro when capping points, and increase the use of the mine detection package.

The 100 muni cost will mean we will rarely see this ability, and when it is used, I think it is rather cheesy with little to no time to react.

Any thoughts?
26 Sep 2013, 23:46 PM

well,PE bobby trap is free, Soviet bobby trap has to be more efficient than its mine, otherwise i doubt how many ppl will use it
26 Sep 2013, 23:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Sep 2013, 23:46 PMnwglfls
well,PE bobby trap is free, Soviet bobby trap has to be more efficient than its mine, otherwise i doubt how many ppl will use it

Yes, traps in vCoH had quite wide AoE, where it would gimp a couple of squad members, sometimes to devestating effect, which was kinda OP.

At a decent cost and a reasonable amount of damage, short from wiping out full squads, I think it will highly useful yet far from overpowered.
27 Sep 2013, 00:51 AM
Developer Relic Badge

The current behavior for the trap is as follows:

- The trap entity is centered on the point itself
- Minesweepers can detect this entity just as they can detect a mine
- If the trap is detected, it will not detonate, regardless of what squads enter the point to capture
- The trap can be defused like a mine
- If the point is decapped while a trap is still active on it, the trap will be destroyed

I believe what you are seeing is that some capture areas are large enough that the minesweepers detection cannot reach the point and actually reveal the trap before the squad walks into the capture zone (thus triggering the trap).

We will look into the cases where this occurs for the next balance patch.
27 Sep 2013, 07:13 AM

The current behavior for the trap is as follows:

- The trap entity is centered on the point itself
- Minesweepers can detect this entity just as they can detect a mine
- If the trap is detected, it will not detonate, regardless of what squads enter the point to capture
- The trap can be defused like a mine
- If the point is decapped while a trap is still active on it, the trap will be destroyed

I believe what you are seeing is that some capture areas are large enough that the minesweepers detection cannot reach the point and actually reveal the trap before the squad walks into the capture zone (thus triggering the trap).

We will look into the cases where this occurs for the next balance patch.

Thanks for the clarification, Stefan.

Can someone get this guy a proper Relic dev account so his posts show up like the others?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 51
Korea, Republic Of 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment