Login

russian armor

Mortar Smoke Rounds

5 Aug 2018, 20:41 PM

So I was thinking about this for a while now. Until the British got a massive range buff on there Smoke Rounds, it really wasn't all that attractive to use. When the range was the same as HE rounds, you would ALWAYS prefer lethal fire over smoke. It's a no brainer. Smoke is so unappreciated despite it's utility since it's overshadowed by it's lethal counterparts...

Not to mention the annoyance of your mortar switching back to HE rounds when you are still fighting around the smoked area. Friendly fire ends up being quite a real danger in those situations...

I honestly think the only way to make Smoke more attractive is to make ALL mortars have better range for Smoke than HE rounds. Like 25% - 50% more range? It would absolutely encourage more strategic play and make things more interesting as a whole when attacking things like emplacements or other enemy positions.

It would also allow for Mortars to remain comfortably useful at times when an enemy has a mortar of their own since they could move out of lethal range and you would still be able to Smoke your way to victory. lol.

What do you guys think? Something to consider? Too overpowered, perhaps?
6 Aug 2018, 00:29 AM

the problem of smoke is that it counter very specific situation and units, those units that need to see what they shot and cant just cross the smoke
MG and defensive positions mostly

becasue most other unit can simply shot ground like mortar howitzer and canons

or pass throught like infantery and vehicules

this is the true reason people dont enjoy using smoke on mortars
worse smoke and classic barrages are linked on the same cooldown thus once one is done you have to wait to use the other(not very long usually but still a wait)

personally i use smoke ont he arformentionned units and on cap points to be able to take them even with low amount of units( i will take it with no shot fired but it can help tremendously.
6 Aug 2018, 07:45 AM

What do you mean it automatically switches to HE?

Smoke is a timed ability, you use it once and have to wait for a while for it to "recharge" so to speak, it's not like in the UKF Alpha where there were 4 separate toggleable abilities.

Those abilities really made it unique and it was sad for many people to see them gone when the UKF was officially released, it made the mortar pit balanced because you had to micro it still unlike now where it's mostly useless and still has to be micro-ed.

But the real problem is that for smoke specifically it's still static and probably won't reach the spot where you want it to smoke some at least 60-70% of the time when you're fighting out of it's range, while other Armies can smoke wherever they want as soon as their indirect fire units are in range.
6 Aug 2018, 15:00 PM

i guess he mean that when rushignt hrought smoke its mortar auto fire the unit in the smoke which hurt its assautin squad?
6 Aug 2018, 17:15 PM

What do you mean it automatically switches to HE?

When the Smoke Barrage is over and the Mortar switches to Auto Fire again with HE rounds. Sure, you can switch auto fire off but it's a pain for those of us who hyper focus on things. lol.

i guess he mean that when rushignt hrought smoke its mortar auto fire the unit in the smoke which hurt its assautin squad?

Correct.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight