Login

russian armor

Winter or Spring Maps [Developer]

1 of 3 Relic postsRelic 10 Sep 2013, 23:58 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Gentlemen,

do you want more Winter or Spring maps?

11 Sep 2013, 00:03 AM

The frame rate drop dramatically during blizzard(low setting of cuz) but runs very smooth in summer maps.

I prefer summer maps as long as you don't choke one side with some rivers AKA
Rzhev summer........

but can devs first rebalance the old map first?
2 of 3 Relic postsRelic 11 Sep 2013, 00:11 AM
Developer Relic Badge

which maps do you feel are imbalanced Ugbear?

11 Sep 2013, 00:16 AM

i personally wouldn't mind winter maps as long as their isn't a blizzard like the new semois!
11 Sep 2013, 00:20 AM

I like both seasons. Adds more variety for strategy.

I prefer summer maps - I haven't found the winter maps to be as enjoyable as I had hoped.

personally i prefer the spring maps. i guess we already have more spring maps than winter maps right now though. i just think that the blizzards can be a little too frequent at times, which makes them more of an annoyance rather than a cool mechanic. im assuming blizzard mechanics arent something you work on, but id like it better if they werent so predictable. fewer and more random (maybe even longer) blizzards would make winter maps more interesting.

like cannonball said, its not really the winter map i dislike. its the blizzards. i do like the snow and ice setting
11 Sep 2013, 00:21 AM
Benefactor 115

At the moment I prefer the spring maps over the winter maps

1v1 wise my biggest issue is with langreskaya winter, theres just too much heavy snow hindering movement on the map.

I do like kholodny winter but I feel it could do with a redesign where the resource placements are the same and the top of the map opened up a bit more like the spring version.

So in summary my issues are mostly with movement around the map rather than cold tech features.
11 Sep 2013, 00:21 AM

Personally i dislike winter maps (won't go as far as to hate them)

• For me it is just more unnecessary micro (dnk about others but i feel spent after)

doesn't add anything to the gameplay for me, except pause in game during blizzard (lagg 2)

I have to constantly keep my mind on not going over ice on rivers, try to flank with infantry without getting bogged in the deep snow, watch over units so they don't start freezing, walking long way to cap point I might get there half frozen and having to retreat if point is guarded because I can't take cover (must stand next to fire)
    Units get fried by flame weapons (KV8) because they are slowed down by deep snow.. etc

Minus freezing units and blizzard, I wouldn't mind winter maps that much
11 Sep 2013, 00:28 AM

I don't dislike winter maps, EXCEPT for their inclusion of blizzards. I really think blizzards should be much fewer. It's way too common right now. Blizzards absolutely slow the gameplay down. They also kill the fps on most machines.

Also, winter maps have too much deep snow, which hurts Russians more than Germans.
11 Sep 2013, 00:34 AM

Summer maps are better, hands down!

Winter maps are slow paced, have those annoying blizzards that can totally delay your next offensive and you are just waiting for that storm to pass. If you then move around make sure you don´t step into the deep snow and crawl your way to the enemy. There´s a reason I have only winter maps vetoed in the menu.

Summer maps on the other hand remind me of Coh1. Fluid and fast paced battles, lots of action and no silly interruptions between combat.

Last but not least the camouflage schemes for vehicles are prettier on summer maps.
11 Sep 2013, 00:38 AM

Spring maps, definately.

Deepsnow just doesnt do anything but annoy you. It reduces flanking potential, because theres no hold fire on infantry. So you cant sneak with them in cloak mode @deepsnow
11 Sep 2013, 00:55 AM

which maps do you feel are imbalanced Ugbear?

The Rzhev summer is probably most unbalanced map and almost every player agree with that,middle VP and munition were cut-off by river and it's very narrow for units to cross, while the south player can walk through the land to get those point,I'm going to rage if I got north spawn in this map, Dev's should realise that by the first time you play this map...

The Priyat winter is heavily favored to East spawn,for:
1. VP points and Fuel resourse where heavily concentrated on the north east,for it is easy to defend both of those key-points

2. The west spawn point have to seperate their forces for both VP point and Resource point.

most of other maps are some what one-side favored, but that's a very long story
11 Sep 2013, 01:12 AM

I definately enjoy the spring maps more. I don't mind the athstetic of the winter maps and the actual blizzard mechanic looks nifty but I don't at all enjoy the freezing soldiers, limited sight or heavy snow. The heavy snow is the worst offender to me as I find it strongly discourages agressive infantry play as you can be so harshly punished even on retreat.

I would say leave the blizzards for campaign mode and custom games but only do spring maps for auto matching unless you take out the heavy snow and blizzards.

P.s. I know you guys worked hard on that stuff and it's definately cool looking and ambient but it really ruins the gameplay (for me).
11 Sep 2013, 01:21 AM

i like summer map better cause winter attrition is too much. But if the last unit of a squad would always survive cold attrition, i say it would be a lot better.
11 Sep 2013, 01:22 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Winter if there is water on the map. Summer for anything else.
Ice is such a fun mechanic but blizzards are too common and freeze the game. Deep snow is annoying and I dont understand how the camo is supposed to work, there is no hold fire on infantry so what benefit does it have?
11 Sep 2013, 01:38 AM

Personally I really enjoy a lot of the winter map features. I think campfire radius going up a little would make them more fun/would make blizzards not so much of a drag.

The big exception is Langreskaya Winter. While the deep snow allows a few curious neat tricks and kiting and such, it also exacerbates the map's very strong options for campy play, makes harassing resources harder and riskier on account of the slow retreat, further increases the power of MGs in certain buildings and so on and so forth.
11 Sep 2013, 01:42 AM

How about a spring 1v1 map set in a CITY! Sweeeeet!! In all seriousness, i need to see stalingrad 1v1. Winter maps just look brilliant ie semosky!
11 Sep 2013, 01:50 AM

^what cannonball said
11 Sep 2013, 01:54 AM

Sprint or summer maps, please. Preferably urban
Is it possible to not decrease visibility so much during blizzards? I'm fine that units see less, but the effect really makes the game look too gray. Also I agree with the comment about blizzards being too frequent
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
Germany 35

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment