Login

russian armor

Maxim

8 Sep 2013, 20:44 PM

Maxim is trash. Lack of suppression (and not enough DPS to make up for it) = units walk straight up the cone and nade it in the face. Just spend your manpower on something worth building, or pray that you can steal an MG42.
8 Sep 2013, 20:47 PM

Maxims avoiding rifle nades is harder than an MG42 dodging a molotov aswell due to the spin the Maxim must do to go back and if you go forward the rear crew members are hit. I quite often nowadays just take the nade and hope it only kills 1-2, unless I know my men are really clumped in which I retreat.

i take it back, this point is actually something new i havent heard anyone make before. i actually noticed this when i was putting stats into the spreadsheet.

for the maxim:
Code
| | turn_plan: "motorcycle_i";

so the poor maxim thinks hes a motorcycle just because he has wheels. im not sure thats enough to make it harder to dodge a nade though. the rifle nade is fired .6 seconds slower than the molotov is thrown and the mg42 takes 1.49 seconds longer to tear down. that means if the two reacted at the exact same second, the maxim still has a 2.09 second head start. i cant say if that is enough to compensate for turning like a motorcycle though
9 Sep 2013, 01:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Sep 2013, 20:47 PMwooof

the maxim still has a 2.09 second head start. i cant say if that is enough to compensate for turning like a motorcycle though

Well, the big difference is that the riflenade does all its damage up front, unlike the molotov. You would need to stand in the fire for a while before soaking up an equivalent amount of damage.

A real big problem of the maxim is what is it supposed to counter? Presumably grenadiers, but the grens can always fire a riflenade off even if they get suppressed, since the ability has such long range. Then the maxim will need to retreat, or it will potentially go down when it faces the next gren & rifle nade. I don't see how the maxim can possibly be tweaked to avoid this problem.
9 Sep 2013, 02:42 AM

Nope...Also the incendiary ability is totally useless.
It should be standard ammunition for MG42 and instantly combust any Soviet infantry on hit. It should also inflict heavy vehicle motor damage on hit and since the ability is meant to deal with vehicles it should increasingly melt a vehicle down to a puddle of liquid metal which then can be possessed by demonic forces, by engraving a pentagram into your screen. The now enslaved puddle can be used to transform into T-1000 and start looking for John Connor.
I actually laughed out loud
9 Sep 2013, 06:44 AM
Donator 22

Nope...Also the incendiary ability is totally useless.
It should be standard ammunition for MG42 and instantly combust any Soviet infantry on hit. It should also inflict heavy vehicle motor damage on hit and since the ability is meant to deal with vehicles it should increasingly melt a vehicle down to a puddle of liquid metal which then can be possessed by demonic forces, by engraving a pentagram into your screen. The now enslaved puddle can be used to transform into T-1000 and start looking for John Connor.

I looooove the vet1 ability from the MG42. It's eating a clown car in a couple of sec and looks like a firework :D
9 Sep 2013, 06:56 AM

Over nerf.

This stems from the fact Relic applied the reduced damage/supression rate of a pinned HMG team after they reduced the damage/supression of the Maxim in a previous patch.

The unit is poor and I find it especially aggrevating as unless your Maxim catches Grenadiers from max range you will be naded and quite possibly have to retreat.

Why should a Soviet player have to scout for HMG teams whilst a Ostheer player can sit there and pin a Soviet infantry squad the exact moment they see one another? I have no problem with Ostheer getting that nade off in a frontal assault, but they must be punished for it for not flanking. If you want to get the rifle nade off, you should take more damage for staying still. To often I see Ostheer players go head on into Maxims, win the engagement and pisses me off.

Maxims avoiding rifle nades is harder than an MG42 dodging a molotov aswell due to the spin the Maxim must do to go back and if you go forward the rear crew members are hit. I quite often nowadays just take the nade and hope it only kills 1-2, unless I know my men are really clumped in which I retreat.

Since when does a rifle nade kill a Maxim? In my experience it would take about 3 rifle nades to kill a maxim.
9 Sep 2013, 08:14 AM

Since when does a rifle nade kill a Maxim? In my experience it would take about 3 rifle nades to kill a maxim.

Well it doesn't out right kill it but the nade will generally take out 1-2 men and some damage. The problem is the nade can be launched, quite easily kill the gunner even in a frontal assault. From that point the grens, primarily if armed with LMG's or G43 can continue to kill each new gunner as it remans for a short period of time.

This is much more prevalent once Grens hit vet2/3. I see this happen very frequently and also do this when I play as Ostheer.

Basically I would like to see the Maxim do a bit more damage as if a person wants to throw that grenade head on, there most definitely should be an associated MP risk in doing so.
9 Sep 2013, 23:30 PM

In my experience, if aimed at the middle of the crew, a rifle grenade will usually do some damage and take out 2-3 men. I've had some experiences where it took out none, though.
9 Sep 2013, 23:48 PM

In my experience, if aimed at the middle of the crew, a rifle grenade will usually do some damage and take out 2-3 men. I've had some experiences where it took out none, though.

thats because of how AOE works in this game. the overall radius of the nade may be large, but only a small area does the full 80 damage. the AOE has a radius of 4m, but a near radius of only 1m. so entities within 1m of the impact recieve the full 80 damage and die. from 1m to 2m is linear from 80 damage down to 20, then from 2m to 4m is all 20 damage.

molotov damage functions the same way, but the big difference is the flame crits. damage for the molotov isnt as important and crits work just as well at 4m as they do at 1m. so the molotovs AOE is more effective even though they both have a 4m radius.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★