Login

russian armor

Strafe Run

6 Sep 2013, 23:48 PM

I didn't think I would find something worse than the MG but alas the world is a big place and is full of surprisez...so played two games in a row,lost both.
Where did I go wrong?
Hmmm well in both games I started perfectly...decrewed 2 enemy MG's as usual,had fuel,had victory points,anti-tank and anti-infantry capabilities...what could go wrong?
Here is what,IN BOTH GAMES my opponents didn't manage to do much in the first 20 minutes so they decided to use strafe,every fucking two minutes,they used strafe...and that was it,gg,what the hell could I say
Detailed version:
In Steppes it pinned all my/allied infantry based units and killed some of them...then my rival just bounces like Little Red Riding Hood with PanzerGrenadiers all over my SU-85's,tramples them,proceeds to finish my infantry and that was it...game over
This is getting frustrating why does it pin infantry on over half the map,can't do nothing but retreat and when trying to recapture,strafe after strafe...In comparison IL-2 sucks, cost twice as much, it doesn't have as big of AOE and has less passes. Soviets have one AA unit that doesn't kill a plane before it kills at least 2 of your squads, even if they are on retreat...
Now, I'm pretty sure i have never raged quit a game in my life, but holy fuck I wanted to.
Anyone with similar experiences?
7 Sep 2013, 01:17 AM

Hmmm strafe seems pretty fine to me since they nerfed it. Sounds like he had a ton of munitions if he's using it "every 2 minutes".

Plane only passes like every 2 minutes now after the nerf and doesn't pin all over the map like it used to, and rarely kills many, if any, troops in my experience.

All in all, no, I haven't have experiences like that recently.

7 Sep 2013, 01:37 AM

Hmmm strafe seems pretty fine to me since they nerfed it. Sounds like he had a ton of munitions if he's using it "every 2 minutes".

Plane only passes like every 2 minutes now after the nerf and doesn't pin all over the map like it used to, and rarely kills many, if any, troops in my experience.

All in all, no, I haven't have experiences like that recently.

The basepin with it is just ridiculous, and I think it's way too good for just 120 munitions. With an opel blitz truck or two it's just incredibly frustrating to get out on the field sometimes.

It's *way* better since the nerf but still seems like the most powerful anti-inf off-map for cost in the game by some distance.
7 Sep 2013, 04:55 AM

The basepin with it is just ridiculous, and I think it's way too good for just 120 munitions. With an opel blitz truck or two it's just incredibly frustrating to get out on the field sometimes.

It's *way* better since the nerf but still seems like the most powerful anti-inf off-map for cost in the game by some distance.
I agree
7 Sep 2013, 06:26 AM
Patrion 14

I think its ok. Dont actually see base-pin as a biggie. If you remove base-pin, other fun features might be considered op as well. Arty retreating units in base is always fun and cheap, both onmap and offmap arty. As soviet, get a HT with quad if you see planes. This game is about getting a counter to the strat you are facing. If you are having problem with strafes, spread out your infantry and or get a quad-HT.
7 Sep 2013, 07:32 AM
Patrion 14

Getting a HT is often not an option at all, since you're going to NEED T4, and spending over 100 fuel just to counter an ability is ridicilous.
7 Sep 2013, 07:51 AM

It would be ok if it was ONE strafing run for this cost and then the plane went away (you know, like vCoH). Instead you get several for the price of one, all instantly pinning infantry in a huge radius while even giving some visibility for free. And sometimes oneshotting snipers, even though the damage of the ability otherwise isn't a problem.

It doesn't help that the only soviet anti-air unit, which by the way is horrible at shooting them down, is in T3 which is extremely likely to get skipped. Clown cars seriously should have an upgun option that gave them AA. And even with that extra AA option the ability should still be toned down primarily by a huge reduction in duration so that it makes at most 2 passes, preferrably just one really.
7 Sep 2013, 08:02 AM

I think its ok. Dont actually see base-pin as a biggie. If you remove base-pin, other fun features might be considered op as well. Arty retreating units in base is always fun and cheap, both onmap and offmap arty. As soviet, get a HT with quad if you see planes. This game is about getting a counter to the strat you are facing. If you are having problem with strafes, spread out your infantry and or get a quad-HT.

As I said,Soviet Anti-air doesn't do the job,the plane is barely destroyed at third or fourth pass when it doesn't matter anymore,infantry either dead or retreating...
And again,as I said,spreading infantry doesn't work,had infantry on that south victory in Steppes...example,when all infantry was pinned in south,tried to go help with infantry from north....bad decision,they got pinned too,I mean the area of effect on this thing still seems hilarious,just like with the tanks,IL-2 does 3 passes,no pin and usseles since the German just moves his infantry or retreats it...with the Junkers,that's another story,infantry pinned+damage does 5 passes and costs half,where is the logic here?
7 Sep 2013, 08:04 AM

Getting a HT is often not an option at all, since you're going to NEED T4, and spending over 100 fuel just to counter an ability is ridicilous.

True,teched back to T3 for what...anti-air that doesn't do s**t? gg Relic
7 Sep 2013, 08:53 AM

You can easily get two T34's around the time he has his first P4. Since T34's are now viable against P4's, this isn't so bad. That allows you to go T3 and then get AA, which works you just have to keep it near your guys.

You Soviet scumbags are just too reliant on your OP SU85's to kill all the Axis armour, and when this doesnt work you have a cry.
7 Sep 2013, 09:04 AM
Patrion 14

7 Sep 2013, 09:15 AM

You can easily get two T34's around the time he has his first P4. Since T34's are now viable against P4's, this isn't so bad. That allows you to go T3 and then get AA, which works you just have to keep it near your guys.

You Soviet scumbags are just too reliant on your OP SU85's to kill all the Axis armour, and when this doesnt work you have a cry.

@LeWish: Don't mind him,he was raped by bears when he was little...
On-Topic: Wow great strategy so I have to keep the halftrack near my pinned infantry and the enemy's panzershreks
Good strat ;)
7 Sep 2013, 09:27 AM

Yeah, strafes ruin a lot of games. In 1vs1 it is okay at it is,..but in 2vs2 it is really annoying. It just ruins a good game. You can forget your whole infantry. Can't be meant like that. Can it? Counter to all inf?
7 Sep 2013, 09:29 AM

@LeWish: Don't mind him,he was raped by bears when he was little...
On-Topic: Wow great strategy so I have to keep the halftrack near my pinned infantry and the enemy's panzershreks
Good strat ;)

Well getting an AA Halftrack works for me and everyone else? Maybe you are just bad? Also have you ever heard of harrassing their munitions? It costs 120 munitions for strafe, and you reckon he has Panzerschreks as well. I bet he also has LMG Grens and upgraded Scout Cars too does he?

Where are all these munitions coming from? Maybe you need to actually cap the munitions points once in a while? The Germans are HUGELY reliant on munitions for just about everything. Fauts, Rifle nades, LMG's, G43's, Shreks, Upgrade on AC's, Flame Haltrack, Bundle nades for PGrens, the list goes on.

Try focusing on their munitions, if you can't deny him munitions income you have simply been out played. Also against that commander he has Blitz trucks, find them and destroy them as they increase munitions income.

Seriously, there are a number of things in which you can do. Just because your Snipers, SU85's, Mortars and Guards combo doesnt work for you every game, doesnt mean Strafe is OP. It means you have to adapt and try something different. Ever heard of that?
7 Sep 2013, 09:32 AM

Strafing run still too good for 120munition costs, maybe swap the German strafing run with the Soviet one for 1 week, then everyone will agree that.
7 Sep 2013, 09:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Sep 2013, 09:32 AMUGBEAR
Strafing run still too good for 120munition costs, maybe swap the German strafing run with the Soviet one for 1 week, then everyone will agree that.

Haha,..that is a quiet a good idea.

Can't be, 120 munitions and all inf is useless. Doesn't matter how you play. I don't have snipers but you also can do nothing. And serious GreenDevil, there are a shit you can do. Please use your brain. Whatever strategy you play,..mass cons, snipers, Mortars, Guards, shock troops,...whatever. 120 ammo and infantry is useless. That’s good? Rofl,.....
And you really can’t avoid that they get 120 munitions. In late game, and 2vs2 it is impossible when you don’t have won the game anyway.
7 Sep 2013, 09:57 AM

Well getting an AA Halftrack works for me and everyone else? Maybe you are just bad? Also have you ever heard of harrassing their munitions? It costs 120 munitions for strafe, and you reckon he has Panzerschreks as well. I bet he also has LMG Grens and upgraded Scout Cars too does he?

Where are all these munitions coming from? Maybe you need to actually cap the munitions points once in a while? The Germans are HUGELY reliant on munitions for just about everything. Fauts, Rifle nades, LMG's, G43's, Shreks, Upgrade on AC's, Flame Haltrack, Bundle nades for PGrens, the list goes on.

Try focusing on their munitions, if you can't deny him munitions income you have simply been out played. Also against that commander he has Blitz trucks, find them and destroy them as they increase munitions income.

Seriously, there are a number of things in which you can do. Just because your Snipers, SU85's, Mortars and Guards combo doesnt work for you every game, doesnt mean Strafe is OP. It means you have to adapt and try something different. Ever heard of that?

First I wonder how much you play as Soviets in the first place,calling Soviet players "soviet scumbags" in the first place just for some observations I pointed out
Second I have my army stretched enough capping Fuel and Victory points,so no I can't stretch across the whole damn map to deny munitions
Third I don't use snipers,mortars,guards...SU 85's yes,being the only capable AT Soviets have
Fourth MG nerf in the next patch,can't wait to see you cry that MG doesn't have 360 degree arc of fire and instant pin
@UGBEAR right on point
@Sorban right on point again
7 Sep 2013, 10:12 AM

First I wonder how much you play as Soviets in the first place,calling Soviet players "soviet scumbags" in the first place just for some observations I pointed out
Second I have my army stretched enough capping Fuel and Victory points,so no I can't stretch across the whole damn map to deny munitions
Third I don't use snipers,mortars,guards...SU 85's yes,being the only capable AT Soviets have
Fourth MG nerf in the next patch,can't wait to see you cry that MG doesn't have 360 degree arc of fire and instant pin
@UGBEAR right on point
@Sorban right on point again

I play both factions 50/50. I have 2:1 win ratio as soviets and 1:1 as Germans. Seriously Soviet players having nothing to complain about. They have all the best units and can exploit that fact very easily.

If you can't counter MG's, you are just bad. Ever heard of Snipers, Mortars, Clown Cars? Learn to use them. Just because you can't wipe out the MG with one Molotov any more doesn't mean they are OP.
7 Sep 2013, 10:19 AM

I play both factions 50/50. I have 2:1 win ratio as soviets and 1:1 as Germans. Seriously Soviet players having nothing to complain about. They have all the best units and can exploit that fact very easily.

If you can't counter MG's, you are just bad. Ever heard of Snipers, Mortars, Clown Cars? Learn to use them. Just because you can't wipe out the MG with one Molotov any more doesn't mean they are OP.

I don't expect to wipe out an MG squad with a molotov...but when you throw 3 molotovs and the guy loses one squad member,what is that?
1 molotov thrown,the guys packs up and leaves repacks 2 meters away and continue firing...second molotov thrown,same story loses half health but no squad members,just moves away,and third molotov thrown finnally loses one member,and that's it...oh and in the meantime the guy came with another MG but that isn't OP right? anyway,that's another story
7 Sep 2013, 11:48 AM

Artying retreating units is a one-time effect that you can actually dodge and your opponent has to time *just* right. Strafe just stops you leaving your base at all on certain maps for minutes at a time (and it's completely undodgeable), while the German consolidates map-presence and makes sure he has the munitions for another one minutes later.

My general approach is to go for Tier 3 if I see the Strafe commander, just because you can get T-70s and AT guns and almost ignore it. The quad's muni cost makes it sorta prohibitive.

Spreading your infantry to the extent where they can't be hit by the strafe is problematic, since, especially on small maps, it covers a very big area, and this more or less allows a single off-map ability to hard-counter snipers continually. It just invalidates a ton of stuff that a really cheap off-map shouldn't.

My basic view is that you should compare it to Propaganda Artillery, which is actually dodgeable, has a less certain effect and isn't tremendously effective at the basepin. It's still a nice, useful ability in the right circumstances and it costs the same. More importantly, it's actually fun to play against and takes some skill to deploy effectively.

@Devil, part of the problem is that it comes with the Opel Blitz Trucks, which on some maps are reasonably easy to deal with but on others are incredibly hard to get to against a half-competent opponent (say, on Minsk Pocket, Semois and Langres). Harassing someone to the point where they can't use a 120 munis ability with that is quite hard. Also, there's a real compounding effect of strafe, where it hurts map presence seriously enough that it makes it hard to get munitions control back after a momentary slip.

I don't think it has to be changed (though I'd like to see something about the base-pin functionality it has), it just ought to be at least 200 munis for how powerful it is so it can't be used as often.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★