Login

russian armor

Unit-specific veterancy: a suggestion

4 Sep 2013, 14:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I've heard that Relic implemented universally similar/identical veterancy for just about all units of the same type for the sake of balance. However, does it not take away much of the variety and faction asymmetry dissimilar veterancy could offer?

Take a Pioneer squad and Combat Engineer squad. As they are, they fill almost identical roles, with the Engineers being slightly less cost-efficient in terms of DPS while having additional synergy with M3s. So instead of granting them nearly identical veterancy bonuses past the vet 1 ability, why not differentiate?

For example, the Pioneers could fill a more support-oriented role with veterancy like this, capable of keeping the heavy Ostheer panzers up and running quickly while actually making the field first aid ability cost-effective:

Vet 1:
  • Field First Aid

• x0.8 received damage

Vet 2:
  • x1.5 repair rate

• Mine-laying cost -5 munitions

• Field First Aid cost -5 munitions

Vet 3:
  • x1.5 repair rate

• Mine-laying cost -10 munitions

• Field First Aid cost -5 munitions

• No received-damage penalty for repairing under fire

While Combat engineers could live up to their name with veterancy that augments their direct combat capability:

Vet 1:
  • Trip-Wire Flares

• x0.8 received damage

Vet 2:
  • x1.2 Movement speed

• Weapon upgrade cost -10 munitions

• x0.9 received damage

Vet 3:
  • x1.2 accuracy

• x0.9 received damage

Different infantry types could have different veterancy types. For example, Panzergrenadiers, Shock Troops, and Penals are entirely combat-oriented, hence could have more movement speed/accuracy/damage resistance bonuses. Regular line infantry like the Grenadiers, Conscripts, and (to an extent) Guards could mix ability-cost discounts with combat and line-of-sight buffs.

While these statistics are just examples (and may not be balanced) and such a significant change is unlikely to be implemented at this stage of the game, it's still an idea I think would significantly add to the depth of the game.

Thoughts?
4 Sep 2013, 21:21 PM

good idea, id like to see vet1 abilites be alot more mixed. i for one have never used the heal ability mainly because its the vet 1 gren who has hurt himself getting to vet1 early game and by the mid game i have built my healing bunker rendering the ability almost pointless
5 Sep 2013, 01:28 AM

I agree, the German vet ability for infantry is quite pointless. Why would I want to use 20(?) munitions for only one squad when I can use 60 munitions + 150 manpower for the entire game? It just doesn't make any sense. Also, I'm not exactly sure what the "infantry awareness" ability on light vehicles really does in practice (it doesn't even reveal cloaked snipers).

On the Soviet side, we have the "vehicle capture point" ability. It makes a lot of sense on the T-70, but the IS-2 has the same ability too. Really? Who's going to field an IS-2 with no infantry nearby?
6 Sep 2013, 09:39 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Infantry Awareness seems to be another out-of-place veterancy ability on the SU85 as well.
The main idea is to have stat buffs from veterancy less linear, more support-role oriented, and in a direct engagement less powerful, perhaps. Vehicle veterancy in particular is, I think, rather excessive in many cases, capable of completely altering a match-up between what would usually be hard counters (like with the P4 vs SU85, T-70 vs Scout Car, et cetera.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 25
unknown 4
Germany 678

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak