Login

russian armor

Shells bouncing off

4 Sep 2013, 09:56 AM

I've played quite a few games and never saw a shell bouncing off a Russian tank. Please correct me if I am wrong. Although they do bounce a lot off German tanks.

This seems quite odd, since these were Russians who introduced sloped armor exactly to make shells bounce. That was the idea behind T-34 design, yet I see no shells bouncing off T-34. Same goes for SU-85 and above. There are many of historical accounts of these tanks receiving many hits with no damage apart from scratches and grooves. (please don't bother commenting that this game is a sequel to Command and Conquer)

Can shells be made bouncing off Russian armor more than from German armor? That would help late game balance a bit, I think.

4 Sep 2013, 10:11 AM

Permanently Banned
I've played quite a few games and never saw a shell bouncing off a Russian tank. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you are wrong. Look harder and dont present rear armor so often.

Can shells be made bouncing off Russian armor more than from German armor? That would help late game balance a bit, I think.

No, they cannot, and no, it would not.

Also, historical accuracy is not a valid argument for balance changes.
4 Sep 2013, 10:26 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ApmrrrPr20ncdEpuSHcxNko1VGVFYjczYXpFZWhqOHc&f=true&noheader=true&gid=5

You can find all armour and penetration values in the link above. Click in individual unit names to bring up their penetration tables.

T34 is not particularly well armored, you will bounce ostwind and 222 scout cars, but anything at panzer iv and above will penetrate the front 100% of the time (panzer iv is actually 96% from the front of a t34.

Su85 is relatively well armored from the front. A panzer iv will bounce 39% of the time.
4 Sep 2013, 11:09 AM

Historically the T-34 lost it´s shock effect (aka good armor) in 1942 when the Germans introduced the long 75mm guns (L43 and L48) on almost all StuGs and Panzer IVs. With this increase in penetration a shell bouncing was much less likely. Til 1000m the T-34 was an easy kill.

For the game:

- Panzer IV and StuG are more expensive than the T-34. They should be stronger. Since the latest patch a flanking T-34 can win.

- Neither does the Panther bounce that many 85mm shells from it´s front armor. Realistically this part of it´s armor was impenetrable to regular 85mm shells.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★