Login

russian armor

How to use german mortars?

27 Aug 2013, 13:19 PM

I've tried using it aggressively (deploying and moving around) and using FHT for reinforce, but they get de-crewed too easily overall because of the small 4 man size.

If soviets get 120mm, it's very hard to counter mortar due to the longer range and larger crew size. Whenever I get in range of normal 82mm or 120mm mortars, ZiS and su76 barrage can easily de-crew, it feels too risky etc.

Any suggestions for how I can use them effectively in a strategy, or their roles?
27 Aug 2013, 14:06 PM

Have an eye on it play it defensive and retreat them if u see something that could kill it :*
place ur mortar always behinds something to make it harder for ur enemy to get it
27 Aug 2013, 14:16 PM

I usually don't bother with the German mortar if there is a Soviet heavy mortar on the field. When there is a heavy mortar I tend to go for the mortar halftrack. I've had some success using the incendiary barrage to de-crew the heavy mortar and it also works wonders on German AT-guns.
27 Aug 2013, 14:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Whether you are using the mortar halftrack or a crew-served mortar, you should get in the habit of using the Barrage ability and moving them frequently. One thing to know about barrage is that it makes the mortar fire much faster than normal.

Try this:
-keep the mortar moving, but behind your main forces
-when you see enemies that you want to attack, select the mortar and use the Barrage command. Don't just set up the mortar and have it fire normally.
-Once you've given the barrage order, shift + right-click to a new location. This way, the mortar will fire its barrage, then pack up and move somewhere else. This will prevent the mortar from being counter-barraged.

When I use mortars, I put them on a hotkey so I can move them all the time and easily issue barrage orders. When a mortar is sitting in one spot for the whole game, it is likely to either get attacked directly, get attacked by another mortar or artillery piece, or be too far behind the lines to deal damage.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about smoke. Smoke is great.
28 Aug 2013, 09:10 AM

Shift click is a great idea.

Currently, Im trying to use FHT as green cover, have to park sideways infront of mortars which is easy to do. It'll only protect the 2 soldiers using the mortar though, and the FHT can absorb some frontal damage.
28 Aug 2013, 09:28 AM

I always stick my mortar behind a house or high hedge, basically anywhere the enemy is not likely to get line of sight without the enemy pushing into my line.

Not sure if it is the best tactic but I have found it effective.

28 Aug 2013, 09:41 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Currently, Im trying to use FHT as green cover, have to park sideways infront of mortars which is easy to do. It'll only protect the 2 soldiers using the mortar though, and the FHT can absorb some frontal damage.

Interesting trick! I'd never thought to use the HT as cover before.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
Netherlands 23
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak