Login

russian armor

Buildings: The Trench of COH 2

25 Aug 2013, 07:15 AM

I understand that developers want the building to stay the way it is but I personally can't stand the resulting gameplay. Buildings promote static gameplay and I rather spend majority of my time fighting across the map than slapping my dick trying to clear a building. It's plain boring because it requires practically hard counters to clear which was the exact same reasoning that made trenches hated so much in COH 1. (impervious to small arms/sniper fire and can only be cleared with grenades/flames)

My main gripe is why was it changed from COH 1? There were never really any problems with that system and people used buildings all the time. Now every game I play it's all about rushing to the building and fielding the appropriate counters to clear buildings.

Edit: Some might argue that buildings in COH 1 required hardcounters and yes it did. However, there were a lot more viable counters which included flanking the building, using green cover against the side with the least amount of windows, using a sniper)

25 Aug 2013, 09:20 AM

Agree with this. Snipers should have a near, if not 100% accuracy vs building, small arms fire is ok, but you could circle a lone mg in a building in coh1 and it would eventually have to leave or die. Also when a unit can just stay in a building and laugh when Molotov's and such hits it, its just not right.

We need to get back to the way coh1 was, like the thrill of trying to predict where a squad was going to exit a building and they all get blown up in the doorway by that well placed grenade.

It gets even worse if the building is supported by whole army, plus it has an mg inside, and your getting cut off on maps like Kholodny, where there is buildings near your base area. We should at least have the appropriate counters available to us that work, so we can dislodge them and give ourselves a chance to fight back and possibly succeed.
25 Aug 2013, 09:24 AM

I completely agree. I think there should be a bit more focus on soft-counters & positioning in the game.
You used to be able to defeat a squad in a building by attacking from the side with few windows and over time grind it down, or by sheer weight of numbers, not so any more.

25 Aug 2013, 09:39 AM

Permanently Banned
Dunno, I sort of support infantry having a place to hide against Snipers.

I think the cover % could be smaller vs small arms though.
25 Aug 2013, 12:19 PM

Hiding (ambushing) could be an interesting edition to the game, units in building hiding and not shooting out could be immune to sniper fire. As in any war, if you pop your head out of cover and a sniper is looking your way, and there a crack shot, your head can get a blown off.
25 Aug 2013, 12:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2013, 09:39 AMNullist
Dunno, I sort of support infantry having a place to hide against Snipers.

I think the cover % could be smaller vs small arms though.

Yeah kinda agree, I was going to lead onto in real life this is but i'll stop short. :)
25 Aug 2013, 14:52 PM

I hate it so much that you literally can't dispose squads out of buildings with just small arms fire. No amount of flanking etc. helps. It doesn't help much either that many explosives tend to be so random at disposing squads from buildings.
25 Aug 2013, 16:03 PM

Well russian snipers don't really need another reason for being right now, and ostheer squads are all small. Sniping at the .4 percentage should still do the trick.

The ostheer sniper on the other hand, could stand to have a better percentage...maybe .6 or better, given the need to dislodge much bigger mg squads. Of course there's flanking with a flamer, and the mortar, both available in tier 1,so while I like this in principle it may not be necessary,

and I'm getting the shit kicked out of me post-patch playing russia as is(though I can't tell if all of a sudden i'm playing a much better player base or if the patch has genuinely made things harder for russian early game), so I'm not sure from my own limited understanding of the game whether any early game ostheer buff is a good idea at this point.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★