Login

russian armor

How to Improve Coh2 Fast, in 3 Simple Steps

18 Aug 2013, 01:31 AM

As the title says

Step 1: Bring back proper cover - I am sick of seeing 2 inf units standing in a open field about 5 m away from each other and shooting till the end of time. It should be like COH out of cover = massacre if you are infantry against other inf in cover. I cant belive they messed up probably the biggest mechanic of COH, the cover system literally made the game what it is, and in coh2 it plays a much smaller role.

When you put troops in cover in coh they tended to stick areound in cover, and in green had a considerable - fire fight winning advantage, even against superior troops ( if they were not in cover). This leads on to step 2

Step 2: Bring back small arms lethality: As mentioned above with 2 inf units out of cover both standing close and shooting, it takes forever for combat to finish. What happened to the quick casualties in COH? It was so refreshing to see, made the game so much better. Its like the took vCOH and put it into wet sand. How does that help anyone? Flanking makes no difference. I just watched a game on Propaganda cast where a Halftrack with a HMG and Gren unit ( with mg I think) flank a 120mm mortar, set up and unleash hell. From the graphics on screen it looked like a massacre - I mean they fired for a good 6-8 seconds, dirt was being kicked up ect as you would imagine when 3 MGS fire in a small area.

What actually happened was after all that, 3 crew members packed up the mortar and sprinted off... unbelievable.

Step 3: Make micro work. Why on earth is there a huge delay between unit orders and them carrying it out? You have to struggle with the game to just move your guys around. COH was so crisp and responded beautifully, now its a struggle to move your guys move when you ask.

This goes hand in hand with the glitchy animations of the infantry, they dawdle around, jumping and stalling, resetting their ability to use weapons ( grens with mg anyone?) where they constantly reset their weapon firing due to all the unnecessary fumbling around. This sort of stuff never happened in COH and its ruining the game.

Iv seen plenty of inf jump into a molatov instead of running out of it when ordered, or bunch up like a accordion when told to move from a bundle nade. Movement and control is the bread and butter of a RTS game... If you cant assert control over your units then you cant play the game properly. I wonder how many beautiful maneuvers these problems have prevented from happening.

Balance is great, but if the game was working properly then it wouldn't be the biggest issue in the world and people would still be enjoying the game, these basic fundamentals need to be improved for the caliber of COH2 to be raised back to that of vCOh.
Two
18 Aug 2013, 02:00 AM

I agree, but inf jumping around for no reason happened on vCoH
18 Aug 2013, 02:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Aug 2013, 02:00 AMTwo
I agree, but inf jumping around for no reason happened on vCoH

Yeh but in vCOH it had the intended effect, reacting to the environment, explosions ect it was awesome. Its too sloppy in COH2 actually detracts from the game as opposed to adding to it.
18 Aug 2013, 02:32 AM

So many time i had a conscript in a yellow cover fighting a gren in open fied while capping a territory just to see my conscript loosing the fight pretty bad like it make no sense.
18 Aug 2013, 03:10 AM

I agree with your points. I just cant understand why they broke the flanking and cower mechanics when they nailed it in vCOH.
18 Aug 2013, 05:23 AM

When I saw your title, I thought : oh no, one of this guy again who thinks he knows better than everyone how to make a game.

But actually, I totally agree with your 3 points.
18 Aug 2013, 05:48 AM

How to improve in COH2:

Learn to use imbalanced units period
18 Aug 2013, 06:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Aug 2013, 05:48 AMPorygon
How to improve in COH2:

Learn to use imbalanced units period

too bad this topic is about How to improve the game and not how to improve in the game.

Just a worthless post.
18 Aug 2013, 06:10 AM

damage is not the problem, the problem is accuracy, that's the thing that makes infantry take so long to kill each other. and the hoping around thing, that's shit i want to see that fixed!
18 Aug 2013, 07:01 AM
18 Aug 2013, 07:02 AM
Honorary Member Badge

these are very vague things overall not very helpful from a development point of view. in otherwards okay its your opinion fine but clearly these 3 "simple" things aren't really that "simple" or "fast".

however i agree on what these issues need to be addressed. its just there much more complex than you make it seem.
18 Aug 2013, 07:15 AM

I agree very much on the lethality point, flanking does not feel strong enough, and it's mostly to do with the damage that the standard infantry weapons do.

I think the support weapons are too resilient on their own, if they get overrun they should really be in trouble, as is they can just run away most of the time, they don't even have to retreat.

Changing it will impact the overall balance though so I'm not sure it's that simple.

The cover issue is perhaps more of a map design thing, standing in green cover feels pretty strong to me, at least my guys can live a long time under fire there and even avoid getting supressed if they're all behind cover. There's just not as much green cover in Russia compared to France :)
18 Aug 2013, 07:42 AM

Totally agree with the 3 points and I'll add this one too.

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Aug 2013, 02:32 AMR3beL
So many time i had a conscript in a yellow cover fighting a gren in open fied while capping a territory just to see my conscript loosing the fight pretty bad like it make no sense.

I always complained about the """new""" capping system.
18 Aug 2013, 08:06 AM

When I saw your title, I thought : oh no, one of this guy again who thinks he knows better than everyone how to make a game.

haha thanks man
18 Aug 2013, 08:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Aug 2013, 07:02 AMWiFiDi
these are very vague things overall not very helpful from a development point of view. in otherwards okay its your opinion fine but clearly these 3 "simple" things aren't really that "simple" or "fast".

however i agree on what these issues need to be addressed. its just there much more complex than you make it seem.

Yeh I cant comment on the behind the scenes stuff as I know nothing about developing a game, but they could just look at vCOH and take queues from that.. I mean they did make it and it does all 3 of these points excellently. But yeh I agree with you, but the point I was trying to make is its not about testing new units, or doing any changes to the armies ect but more from a game play perspective.
18 Aug 2013, 13:29 PM

The first two points aren't actually that complex to code, it's just a modification of dps and defence bonus in cover, the problem is balancing all of that.
18 Aug 2013, 13:44 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Responding time is ridiculous and the way guys bandwagon a grenade when ordered to retreat is another example of the game mechanics being made shittier. If i were you, i would go back to vcoh :)
18 Aug 2013, 14:47 PM

Permanently Banned
I miss vCoh, i miss the tournaments, SNF. Coh2 its just dead in every aspects.
18 Aug 2013, 15:09 PM
Donator 22

:-) well said
18 Aug 2013, 15:30 PM

haha though exactly the same
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 36
Russian Federation 23
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %