Login

russian armor

Critique my crappy soviet play

5 Mar 2018, 04:51 AM

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on this replay. I'm a newish coh2 player and I've been trying to learn soviets recently.

Below are some of my ramblings to give a bit of context.

Note I am a bad player in general, so any tips are welcome, not just to do with Soviets. This is a 2v2 game fyi.

Soviet specifically I've had 3 games in a row I've had something like this happens. I feel I'm beating my opponent until about mid/late game, when medium armour hits the field. It's especially bad on long narrow maps like this one and alliance of defiance where it turns into a shootout. I struggle to compete and it all kinda goes downhill from there as the Germans accumulate more armour, especially the tiger

In this game, I took out the Luchs early, which I felt would have allowed me to get medium armour out first and push the advantage as I didn't build any t3 units. This wasn't the case and I never had the armour advantage.I think my teching might have been slow and I may have spent too much on infantry, reinforcing, losing squads etc. However, I was ahead at one point as I had my opponent almost pinned in his base, but he managed to come back.

I tried running with penals backed by a sniper and mortars as the mainstay of this build, and I was doing ok up to a point.I've done better with the sniper in previous games, I realize I didn't make it a good investment here. I actually wanted to go with guards instead of peanls this build as I've heard that's a good combo, but I feel I had to build penals as two cp didn't come quick enough, I needed boots on the ground, and I didn't want to use cons on this long-range map.

I find soviet teching pretty brutal, having to forgo one of either t1 or t2 to get to t4 on time due to mandatory t3. I also find I struggle with manpower more than I do with other factions.

I enjoy playing soviets, but I'm not as good with them as I am OKW. I don't think I'm quite playing to their strengths as much.

However, as I said I'm not great at the game, and pointers on bad habits, major mistakes, and missed opportunities are welcome.
7 Mar 2018, 00:10 AM

Well I spent an hour watching the replay and writing bullet points about what I noticed but the site ate it because it started logging me out again after a short time when it was keeping me logged in for days.

Blame the site owner for this being a 3rd of the length it originally was. (or thank him)

From what I can remember.

• Don't pick a commander that early unless it is providing a benefit for you like Radio Intercept or Partisans.

• You can throw grenades and satchels over obstacles to avoid being seen and tipping off the enemy.

• Focus down sturmpioneers in the open first.

• 2 of your bulletins are for T2 and you didn't even build a T2 building.

• If you aren't going to build T2 get sticky grenades as they have a longer range than satchels, apply their damage on contact, and are unaffected by distance once the animation starts. remember that all AT throwable weapons give an engine damage crit if the HP of the tank is at or below 75% after the damage is applied.

• You didn't replace your engineers even though you had over 600mp. I know you were saving up for the t34 85 but you had more than enough MP to get the 85 once you had enough fuel. Engineers can do other things besides repair tanks in the last game. Building caches, laying mines and wire. saving you muni by repairing your tanks.

• You only used Mark Vehicle once even though you had more than enough opportunities and muni to use it.

• You went double 120 mortar when you could have built a guards unit instead of the second mortar. You could have even built a howitzer. Howitzers tend to enrage your opponent and force them to go out of their way to deal with them and this is where the minefields come in handy.

• You knew they had scout planes and never built a halftrack with a quad gun to deal with it. Don't let your enemy spy on you like that without countering. plus the quad gun works to slow advancing enemy troops in a pinch.
8 Mar 2018, 04:01 AM

Well I spent an hour watching the replay and writing bullet points about what I noticed but the site ate it because it started logging me out again after a short time when it was keeping me logged in for days.

Blame the site owner for this being a 3rd of the length it originally was. (or thank him)

From what I can remember.

• Don't pick a commander that early unless it is providing a benefit for you like Radio Intercept or Partisans.

• You can throw grenades and satchels over obstacles to avoid being seen and tipping off the enemy.

• Focus down sturmpioneers in the open first.

• 2 of your bulletins are for T2 and you didn't even build a T2 building.

• If you aren't going to build T2 get sticky grenades as they have a longer range than satchels, apply their damage on contact, and are unaffected by distance once the animation starts. remember that all AT throwable weapons give an engine damage crit if the HP of the tank is at or below 75% after the damage is applied.

• You didn't replace your engineers even though you had over 600mp. I know you were saving up for the t34 85 but you had more than enough MP to get the 85 once you had enough fuel. Engineers can do other things besides repair tanks in the last game. Building caches, laying mines and wire. saving you muni by repairing your tanks.

• You only used Mark Vehicle once even though you had more than enough opportunities and muni to use it.

• You went double 120 mortar when you could have built a guards unit instead of the second mortar. You could have even built a howitzer. Howitzers tend to enrage your opponent and force them to go out of their way to deal with them and this is where the minefields come in handy.

• You knew they had scout planes and never built a halftrack with a quad gun to deal with it. Don't let your enemy spy on you like that without countering. plus the quad gun works to slow advancing enemy troops in a pinch.

Hey man,

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out. Shame about the site/ post wipe issue, but there's a lot of good advice here nonetheless.

Picking the commander early is something I'm guilty of, once I've had success with one.

I will try to focus spios, I know how lethal they can be.

Will make sure to rebuild engis as well.

Great point on the halftrack, and in general I should probably pay more attention to enemy abilities, as I can't remember thinking much of it at the time.

Double 120 was probs a mistake. At the time because I was containing him well with what I had, I thought that was a good choice, as they are pretty devastating and they didn't have the room to flank. However, it cost me once they broke out.

Thanks again for all the advice bud, much appreciated.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 90

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight