Login

russian armor

Not a leg to stand on

16 Feb 2018, 20:19 PM

So admittedly I'm a bit rusty with OKW, but I must admit that I was shocked that my opponent was not higer ranking than he was.

I simply felt like I didn't have any control at any point of the game, which I don't think happens too often.

Clearly my biggest problem was his mortar HT with the incredibly powerful phosphoros barrage (only 25 munis?! I have to start using that!).

But if someone could give me some pointers on what to focus on and how I should have contered his strategies, then I will be immensely appreciative :D

16 Feb 2018, 21:16 PM

I'll check this out sometime this weekend or next week so bear with me.
16 Feb 2018, 22:14 PM

No rush man. I just appreciate you taking the time :thumbsup:
17 Feb 2018, 03:00 AM

Have some events going on right now so do forgive my response isn't as detailed as one should expect.

Moving on.

If you're playing OKW you have to take advantage of their early game as they arguably have the strongest early game out of all the factions right now at the cost of their mid game and late game being significantly nerfed. By the time USF had three Rifles you had four Volksgrenadiers and a Sturmpioneer.

Use the Sturmpioneer to cap the bottom portion of the map as to swing around to hit fuel or the cutoff. Send the second volksgrenadiers to cap your cutoff then middle VP. Use the third and forth Volks to either cap up the rest of the map or reinforce your defense at the enemy's cutoff. USF has to either brute force (costs a significant amount man power to do as they'll bleed trying to force you off) or slow down tech by getting mortar.

If OKW doesn't take advantage of their early game then USF will take the lead and hold onto it till late game until you have armor of your own.

Also, if USF goes four Rifles then that is almost a guarantees he's going CPT so I wouldn't recommend going Flak half track unless you're certain you can micro it well and have screening troops always around it. He did go mortar half track but still HMG would help control rifles and allow your Volks to approach without taking much damage.

Never risk your Flak HQ either if you know you're behind AND he has Infantry doctrine. He didn't take advantage of his doctrine so it worked out nor did he equip his Rifles all with LMGs which would've made it significantly harder for you to push out.

I have to ask why go Fusiliers when you had the option to get Obers? Obers would have helped immensely in bleeding Riflemen especially given he didn't equip all of them with weapon upgrades till the very end. Fusiliers are good but they won't hold up much better than Volksgrenadiers. Having one for their utility via excellent line of sight and flares isn't a terrible choice however as any intelligence on the enemy is vital for attacking or defending.

Routinely check your unit bar to see what units are idle and those that aren't. You had times where you AT guns kept getting decrewed from just sitting there and taking damage. Rakets are decent at Vet 0 but their vet makes them terrifying to Allied armor. I'd also wouldn't direct your AT one direction but instead remain unpacked as that means if armor comes around they'll automatically set up in that direction thus freeing up that little bit of micro for you to use elsewhere.

Munitions float was painful to see however I can understand as Sturmpioneers were constantly repairing things. This also extends to why Obers are so good as they have booby traps which deal massive damage and with your supply of munitions would've let them hold VPs and force USF to send armor to deal with them. Another Sturmpioneer wouldn't have been a bad idea as they could've planted mines while the other one repairs.

Panther was a strange choice as generally Panther is for when you have a advantage in infantry engagements. Panzer 4 is a wiser choice as it can force off units quicker than the Panther while also still having the advantage in terms of armor and pen against the Sherman.

Repurchasing a flak half track also would've helped in help defending your support teams from marauding Rifles and if set up behind your AT guns then USF would've committed his armor and risk losing his armor to take it out.
19 Feb 2018, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the excellent feedback.

After this game I have tried to completely rethink my strategy with the OKW which has improved my gameplay immensely.

First of all I have removed the breakthrough doctrine from my lineup. Even though It’s a good commander I also feel that it can be a bit of a trap for a player on my skill level, because I tend to just pick it almost in a panic for the fusiliers rather than what I will actually need in the long run. Instead I’m experimenting a standard lineup of feuersturm/Spec Ops/wild card. Feuersturm works really great for me at the moment supplements OKW so well in terms of utility items. Spec Ops is mostly for the hail mary Panther if I get unlucky and loose my schwere while a KT is still too far away. For the third I’m swapping around a bit but think I will probably land on either fortifications or Scavenge for some extra spice and utility.

I also think I might generally be better off skipping any fuel units altogether until I can push out a tank. Mechanized just dosen’t work for me at the moment, and while the Flak HT is great I often find that I end up throwing it away on some dumb lack of attention.

Anyway long story short I’m in a much better place with OKW right now and your feedback will no doubt help me even further :thumbsup:

P.S. I’ve also started vetoing Westwall with OKW after this embarrassment :blush:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★