Login

russian armor

UKF new strategies?

16 Jan 2018, 04:35 AM

I've started CoH2 last year around October and I LOVE playing as the Brits. I've recently obtained all the commanders. But for my load out, I have Special Weapons, Mobile Assault and Tactical support. I mainly play 3v3 with randos(I have no friends) using hector's guide but with the special weapons regiment and with more emplacements depending on the map.
21 Jan 2018, 05:59 AM

Quite a long time since I bothered with 1v1s but I haven't seen anything that would change the overall idea.

Playing Brits competitively is all about the 6 pdr. You want 2 early maybe even 3 of them, don't rely on armour until the late game and think of your infantry and MGs as sighters for them. Up to that point against decent opposition you're looking to hold out and not get overrun. Which basically means protecting your AT guns and making sure they cover the important avenues. Given good sight lines they'll do a good job, if they have to rely on their 35 sight range rather than their 60 firing range they're easily overcome.

Until you have a qualitative advantage with double brenned tommies and ideally a Comet or two you're looking to hold at least 1 VP and deny them resources. The more fuel you give them the more armour you have to fight off, with toothpicks and tinfoil unless you have your 6 pdrs well placed.

If you use emplacements you'll just get ISG or mortars in return. A bofors or a pit on some maps are very useful but try to get used to playing without them where possible. The land mattress is your friend here. And any stolen indirect fire you can get your hands on.

Against OKW get used to using an abusing snipers both for their sighting and to put some bleed on them. Tommies lose handily to their starting unit and a sniper can be used both as a threat and as bait for a Luchs.

Mobile assault is probably the only truly competitive commander. If you can get used to fighting off the Axis without armour and learn to live without much fuel ( if they want it they'll get it so don't lose too much contesting it, though at the same take somewhere else on the map in compensation) whilst attacking weak spots rather than the obvious then you might do alright..
21 Jan 2018, 13:36 PM

Is this for teamgames or for 1v1s? The rules change a fair bit without teammates to cover your gaps.
21 Jan 2018, 14:08 PM

Is this for teamgames or for 1v1s? The rules change a fair bit without teammates to cover your gaps.

Teamgames with randos.
21 Jan 2018, 14:32 PM

An important thing to remember in that case is you're very much at the mercy of your teammates: if one of them gets tilted or is simply bad then you might do everything right and still lose. That makes analysis of your own tactics that much harder.

I'd say your choice of Special Weapons Regiment is a good one. It's one of the best UKF doctrines. With PIAT or 6-pounder support an Tank Hunter Infantry Section can allow you to skip the a AEC and gives you an infantry vehicle snare that's useful for the entire game. That's good news if you like building the Bofors and means a faster first Cromwell if you don't. The halftrack works well in team games as it can drop weapons for your teammates as well as for you. Concentrated Fire Operation is amazing for clearing out fortified positions and the Churchill Crocodile is one of the best anti-infantry tanks in the game.

Mobile Assault is also a good shout because of the Land Mattress and Sapper Flamers. Hector's guide can tell you how to best use it better than I ever could. Given the larger size of team game maps and the unreliably of random teammates I'd lean towards the AEC over more static early AT solutions - it's mobile enough to bail out an ally in trouble.
21 Jan 2018, 17:58 PM

Hmm, I should use the AEC more. Afterall, it can handle a Luch's and win with over 50% health leftover. Although...sometime's it seems like it dies to 2 squads of grens and an mg42 with no vet. The 2 things that are giving me the most trouble are 1.MG's+Motor spam and early panzer IV's. The crocodile comes a bit late though. Thanks for those tips, it's very detailed!
21 Jan 2018, 19:38 PM

The AEC's an anti-armor vehicle. It can hurt infantry if they can't hurt it back but it's not going to wipe out squads like a Luchs, Stuart or T-70 might. Its purpose is to counter enemy light vehicles in the same window, provide limited smoke support and if it survives until the later game it can snare vehicles.

As to it dying to Grenadiers, almost every vehicle's maximum range is greater than that of the Panzerfaust. The key to effective light vehicle play is to stay out of range of infantry snares. Attack Move is very useful here: if you attack move your unit will stop as soon as it can shoot something so it tends to fight at maximum range.

The key to dealing with machine guns is flanking them: attack from outside its arc and it has to pack up which gives another squad the chance to get in close. Spread your squads out enough that they can't all be suppressed at once but keep them close enough together that they can help each other out. If one gets suppressed the other can walk around the arc of the MG (click on the MG to see its arc) and force it to reposition.

Spamming mortars means few infantry so you can counter them by outcapping them. If you can deal with the MGs the mortars are easy pickings. Close combat units like Sappers and Commandos are particularly unpleasant for them.

Spamming MGs and mortars also means few Grenadiers which means you could try using the Universal Carrier on them. Stick a flamethrower on it and it'll slaughter weapon teams. The UC is riskier against players with a more normal composition but any spam strategy can usually be dealt with by building a couple of its counter units - if they're spamming one thing they won't have a strong counter to its counter.

The Crocodile is for bullying late game infantry when you've already got your force together. It's never going to be your first tank. Think of it as a very heavily armoured WASP.
21 Jan 2018, 19:46 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the tips! You're a very experienced player.
21 Jan 2018, 21:31 PM

try brit sniper they are good and sniper isn't easy to catch especially in teamgame where you can borrow you teammate army as your own wall

my build order usaully look like this Vicker > UC > Tommy > Tier 2 > Sniper > 5 men upgrade
25 Feb 2018, 01:09 AM

I always skip aec after the patch. I usually deal with mg spam of against Wermacht, or straight inf spam against one. You know what gobbles inf up? A centuar! I almost always rush this bad boy and when he comes out I make sure I have two at guns. Two at guns will Insta shot a flak ht and scare off most if not all tanks. Just gotta hold on till you can get this bad boy out. Fyi I usually 2v2.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 29
Peru 4
United States 2
South Africa 0
unknown 10

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L