Login

russian armor

USF 2v2's need help.

30 Nov 2017, 10:25 AM

So i've been struggling with usf lately. I feel like I'm always playing like crap, I've been trying out different commanders. This game I was using the calliope commander since every match there's always an opponent that builds arty. I thought the calliope would deal with that. Apparently not. My team mate also fired 2 land mattress barrages at it and it still lived. Is there a way to deal with them? Getting kinda tired having to cope with arty every match getting my units destroyed in base. Is there a specific commander that's the best to play? Also tried spamming RE's a couple of games. Got destroyed in all of them. Really would like for someone to point out what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

In game name: drinu019

I lost 3 games in a row now and i'm back to rank 405(I know it's a shitty rank).

The replay
6 Dec 2017, 12:29 PM
Strategist Badge

Ill have a look and see what i can tell ya. I am to have this back to you by Thursday evening. :)
9 Dec 2017, 11:05 AM
Strategist Badge

So i've been struggling with usf lately. I feel like I'm always playing like crap, I've been trying out different commanders. This game I was using the calliope commander since every match there's always an opponent that builds arty. I thought the calliope would deal with that. Apparently not. My team mate also fired 2 land mattress barrages at it and it still lived. Is there a way to deal with them? Getting kinda tired having to cope with arty every match getting my units destroyed in base. Is there a specific commander that's the best to play? Also tried spamming RE's a couple of games. Got destroyed in all of them. Really would like for someone to point out what i'm doing wrong.

First thing ya did was send that rifleman from capping the middle point into fight the enemy. That can be a good move, catch them off guard and force them to retreat before they have even gotten anything, BUT, you only went in with one rifle squad, meaning that if you had forced the MG to retreat, you still would have had to retreat yourself, net gaining you nothing. What actually happened is you simply had one less rifle for the first fight that mattered.

USF is about mass pushes that overwhelm your opponent, forcing them to retreat or be killed. The counter play OST has is that their MG can shut down those pushes. So, your best bet is to throw everything you have at them in a large push, flanking the MG.

The second push was MUCH better, that is exactly the thing you should do with USF. The early nade tech is a very nice surprise for the OST guy :P The only thing i would say about early nade tech, is not to spam them so much you cant upgrade your infantry with weapons later, also, it slows down ur tech and light vehicles quite a lot.

Yeah then stayed in that second fight way too long... Remember its much harder to defend a position closer to your enemies base, as they can reinforce and come back at you far faster. Sometimes its better to retreat some weak squads and be ready for the next big fight.

The early forward ambo can be very powerful, but against two mg42's i think it may be a little early. I say this because if they use the MG's correctly you are going to have to retreat the units, meaning you cant take advantage of the forward Ambo.

There isnt much you can do to predict when or where a teller mine will be, they are a real bane to USF. As the RE's dont have much else they are useful for, put a sweeper on them early. They can really have you a lot of time and effort. Also with this hard point you are making with the ambo and fighting position, a mortar or Howie is a good idea. Particularly against 2 MG's.

I can see why you want to put a Cache there, but its a really bad place for one. It can be cut off easily and is so far forward as to be very vulnerable. The 2 points outside your base are far better positions for them.

Okay some generally points about your play. You always move the 2 rifles together, that makes them very easy to suppress, and because there are some many trying to share the same bits of green cover, they will stick out of it and get suppressed, causing both squads to get suppressed.

This is personal, but i would rather have double bars on my rifles, and get another RE squad to have the LMG's. Especially as you have nades which favour the more aggressive play with Rifles.

you have to keep a balanced defense, so that a lone unit cant come up behind you and get your Major like that. Having a unit covering the middle will prevent, or at least give you good warning that they are attacking that way. If you struggle to keep track of your units which arent on screen consider using the Tactical Map, its by default Numpad 0, but you can use a key mind changer to make it Space bar or something.

The Stug costs 80 fuel i think, maybe 90... the Sherman cost 120 fuel. That was a bad trade.

Yeah after that point, you couldn't really recover, but it was compounded by the way you kept sending your rifles/units in unsupported and retreating late. I'm not really sure what the forward ambo major gave you there, it didnt seem like it was far enough forward to give you much that not having it wouldnt have given you anyway.

You have potential, those first big pushes at the start of the game were good, but you kinda loss your way once you got the LMG's and lost a couple of squads. I would say stick to getting bars on ur rifles.

Gl in the future and i hope this helps!

PS you got a little unlucky with the rocket arty vs the Lefh, BUT you were both firing at max range. Arty is an unfortunate fact of life in 2v2. Want less arty? Play 1v1 :P

9 Dec 2017, 11:21 AM
Senior Referee Badge

PS you got a little unlucky with the rocket arty vs the Lefh, BUT you were both firing at max range. Arty is an unfortunate fact of life in 2v2. Want less arty? Play 1v1 :P

Arty Party :hyper:

What i always do in 2v2 as usf against arty is go for the priest commander (infantry doctrine or something?) and use the call in artillery. It's quite cheap and kills the arty gun. Just use recon from your major and call down the artillery :D
16 Dec 2017, 16:46 PM

First thing ya did was send that rifleman from capping the middle point into fight the enemy. That can be a good move, catch them off guard and force them to retreat before they have even gotten anything, BUT, you only went in with one rifle squad, meaning that if you had forced the MG to retreat, you still would have had to retreat yourself, net gaining you nothing. What actually happened is you simply had one less rifle for the first fight that mattered.

USF is about mass pushes that overwhelm your opponent, forcing them to retreat or be killed. The counter play OST has is that their MG can shut down those pushes. So, your best bet is to throw everything you have at them in a large push, flanking the MG.

The second push was MUCH better, that is exactly the thing you should do with USF. The early nade tech is a very nice surprise for the OST guy :P The only thing i would say about early nade tech, is not to spam them so much you cant upgrade your infantry with weapons later, also, it slows down ur tech and light vehicles quite a lot.

Yeah then stayed in that second fight way too long... Remember its much harder to defend a position closer to your enemies base, as they can reinforce and come back at you far faster. Sometimes its better to retreat some weak squads and be ready for the next big fight.

The early forward ambo can be very powerful, but against two mg42's i think it may be a little early. I say this because if they use the MG's correctly you are going to have to retreat the units, meaning you cant take advantage of the forward Ambo.

There isnt much you can do to predict when or where a teller mine will be, they are a real bane to USF. As the RE's dont have much else they are useful for, put a sweeper on them early. They can really have you a lot of time and effort. Also with this hard point you are making with the ambo and fighting position, a mortar or Howie is a good idea. Particularly against 2 MG's.

I can see why you want to put a Cache there, but its a really bad place for one. It can be cut off easily and is so far forward as to be very vulnerable. The 2 points outside your base are far better positions for them.

Okay some generally points about your play. You always move the 2 rifles together, that makes them very easy to suppress, and because there are some many trying to share the same bits of green cover, they will stick out of it and get suppressed, causing both squads to get suppressed.

This is personal, but i would rather have double bars on my rifles, and get another RE squad to have the LMG's. Especially as you have nades which favour the more aggressive play with Rifles.

you have to keep a balanced defense, so that a lone unit cant come up behind you and get your Major like that. Having a unit covering the middle will prevent, or at least give you good warning that they are attacking that way. If you struggle to keep track of your units which arent on screen consider using the Tactical Map, its by default Numpad 0, but you can use a key mind changer to make it Space bar or something.

The Stug costs 80 fuel i think, maybe 90... the Sherman cost 120 fuel. That was a bad trade.

Yeah after that point, you couldn't really recover, but it was compounded by the way you kept sending your rifles/units in unsupported and retreating late. I'm not really sure what the forward ambo major gave you there, it didnt seem like it was far enough forward to give you much that not having it wouldnt have given you anyway.

You have potential, those first big pushes at the start of the game were good, but you kinda loss your way once you got the LMG's and lost a couple of squads. I would say stick to getting bars on ur rifles.

Gl in the future and i hope this helps!

Thanks for the detailed summary, apologies for not seeing it sooner, haven't been on here for a while. I'm not sure why I didn't get a mortar after my opponent had 2 mg's. I guess I kinda rolled with my mistakes. The halftrack getting blown up really fucked me over, i just didn't expect a mine to be there at all. I'll start upgrading my RE's with minesweepers always from now on, since, as you said, I never really use them that well since they're pretty useless unless you're floating munitions. I also should've put a fighting position to cover my flank so thanks for pointing that out aswell. And after failing to take out that arty I guess I kinda just gave up at that point. Anyways, thanks for helping me out, definitely will keep this in mind. Cheers.
16 Dec 2017, 16:49 PM

Arty Party :hyper:

What i always do in 2v2 as usf against arty is go for the priest commander (infantry doctrine or something?) and use the call in artillery. It's quite cheap and kills the arty gun. Just use recon from your major and call down the artillery :D

Do you get mortar halftracks or just use regular mortars? It's a really good doctrine but I don't know if I should use that much fuel early on for them.
16 Dec 2017, 21:21 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Do you get mortar halftracks or just use regular mortars? It's a really good doctrine but I don't know if I should use that much fuel early on for them.

I haven't really tried out the mortar halftracks, i heard they are nice tho.
I just love the usf mortar and thats why i always use it. It's so mobile you can put it up and place it down so fast and that makes it a better smoking platform imo :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 53
Russian Federation 31
United States 2
unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %