Login

russian armor

Ostruppen need other uses than cannon fodder!

9 Aug 2013, 09:18 AM

How about giving them some new abilties?

maybe they should be able to merge?
Panzerbüchse 39's? (i know they're in the game!)
mp40 handout to all squad members?
various other abilties?

how about a chance that the relief infantry ability gives you different types of osttruppen squads?
some armed with rifles, some armed with AT rifles, some armed with mp40s?

i have no clue! they're such a cool unit, but i fail to see the real reason why you'd use them

brainstorm! currently relief infantry is not worth the osttruppen upkeep/pop cap!
9 Aug 2013, 10:03 AM

I think having the ability to upgrade to MP-40s would make them better. Although remember they are "relief" infantry, and I guess they were just added to plug holes in the line until you can get another front-line unit up. (Grenadiers, PGrens)

I also heard that Relic only put them in the game for the campaign, as they were really useless infantry, and easier to kill in the early stages.

Although I agree, at the moment they are not work the upkeep/pop cap.
9 Aug 2013, 10:18 AM

Ostruppen were non-German soldiers on the Eastern Front fighting in the German army. Finns were some of the best troops in the entire war, yet they were Ostruppen.

Point being, I don't think we should make them a piece of shit just because they're titled "Relief Infantry". Look at Conscripts, after all.

Let them upgrade with an MG42 or some kind of weapon. They'd be fine after that.
9 Aug 2013, 10:20 AM

Unfortunately this is in line with your main complaint with Ostruppen, but I can see how they can be useful on a suicide Panzerfaust charge on a Su-85 defended by a Maxim (it cannot suppress everything in its cone of fire, after all) so your Panzer IV/Panther can catch up with it. I've never really bothered with them and they're my only gripe with the otherwise very good Lightning War doctrine.
9 Aug 2013, 11:16 AM

Ostruppen were non-German soldiers on the Eastern Front fighting in the German army. Finns were some of the best troops in the entire war, yet they were Ostruppen.

Point being, I don't think we should make them a piece of shit just because they're titled "Relief Infantry". Look at Conscripts, after all.

Let them upgrade with an MG42 or some kind of weapon. They'd be fine after that.

i don't think relic's trying to say that, you gotta look at this less politically dude :)

9 Aug 2013, 11:29 AM

Can anyone tell me what accent the Osttruppen have? Sounds french to me but that doesn't make sense seing the POA badges on their uniforms...
9 Aug 2013, 11:33 AM

What about Merge?
9 Aug 2013, 11:50 AM

I actually used them to good effect in some games. I often choose the doctrine that contains Osttruppen when I go T1 + T2 heavy/only. Inevitably later in the game there will be a huge clash between your mass of infantry and the enemy. You then use the Osttruppen ability and usually I get 2 squads out of it. Just make sure you don´t lose the squad. Try to inflict as much damage as possible with your regular infantry. Sometimes the enemy doesn´t even want to fight while your ability is on. Then cap the map.

- Osttruppen are actually perfect to recrew abandoned weapons, or capping.
- They gain a LARGER BONUS THAN USUAL IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS, use them in cover

A question aside: What is the reinforcement cost for Osttruppen?
9 Aug 2013, 11:55 AM

Permanently Banned
ostruppen is really good..... if you want free vet for your opponent.
9 Aug 2013, 11:56 AM

Permanently Banned
not mention KV-8 is oneshoot it . :D
9 Aug 2013, 12:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

A question aside: What is the reinforcement cost for Osttruppen?

15 manpower and, unless it's a visual bug on their reinforce icon, 0 pop. See below:

...and here's a little preview of something from the Writer's Desk:
9 Aug 2013, 12:07 PM

well I think the Osttruppen are rather useless or 'very situational' if you wanna say it the nice way :)

A bit offtopic, excuse me for that: It makes few sense that in most campaign missions there's tons of Osttruppen with the badge of the 'Russian Liberation Army' and only a few actual Germans. Especially in Berlin it's kinda weird. But most people don't mind that detail I guess.

Back on topic (kinda): My suggestion concerning Osttruppen is rather 'radical': Get rid of them! They have only one true quality right now: they look cool. And these cool looks is what some german winter units are currently lacking (fur shaws anyone?) - with Osttruppen gone the cool looks could easily be handed over if you get what I mean ;)
9 Aug 2013, 12:09 PM

i don't think relic's trying to say that, you gotta look at this less politically dude :)

I was referring to a post above mine saying that because they're Relief Infantry they probably shouldn't be all that good because they're just there as a placeholder for other units.

Anyways, I've always wanted Ostruppen to fit into the game somewhere. Like have them instead of Grenadiers, with Grens being put to T2 as penal battalions, and then PzGrens being a T3 unit that's equivalent to Shock Troopers.

Something like that.
9 Aug 2013, 15:57 PM

Man, i miss the MP40. That would be an amazing upgrade for Ostruppen! How about an officer upgrade to the squad that would make them equivalent to Grens?
9 Aug 2013, 16:16 PM

can they get the up gun from the doctrine g42 was it?
9 Aug 2013, 18:38 PM

i think ostruppen should be just like conscript squads, just with different abilities.

i myself don't mine the ROA badges because many soviets did desert and fought for the german army.
9 Aug 2013, 18:41 PM

can they get the up gun from the doctrine g42 was it?

No, they cannot.
9 Aug 2013, 19:21 PM

Why not just make them an inf call in unit? The germans lack an infantry callin anyway. Keep there stats, remember they are just plugging holes and being on the flanks of the regular landser german units. So when they inevitably get destroyed ur other units can get surrounded lol.
9 Aug 2013, 22:19 PM

I think i made it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIXoPlVcBo

if you wanna watch the replay without the commentary http://www.coh2.org/replays/6615/osttruppen-spam
9 Aug 2013, 23:28 PM

Arent these Osttruppen supposed to be Russian / Korsaks?

Doesnt their badge mark them as Hiwis / Hilfswillige?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 8
United States 6
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak