Login

russian armor

Infantry Movement

8 Aug 2013, 04:25 AM

Comparing to vCoh, it seems like the infantry movements of coh2 are very lethargic. Unlike the previous game, the individual models don't cover fire when moving during combat and take cover very slowly. Maybe it's the larger map size and smaller infantry models. But, what I enjoyed from the original coh was the details of the units' actions during combat and how they quickly react and cover fire. It really set coh different from any other rts games. Maybe I am asking too much from the devs and I don't mean any harm, but I think it's ruining the early game infantry dance/battles.
8 Aug 2013, 06:38 AM

Yeah.

i think its because in coh2 the squads stop to wait up for the guys who got caught in terrain/bad pathing

in coh1 they don't stop but the guy who was stuck runs forward to catch up

is that right?
8 Aug 2013, 11:25 AM

That sounds about right. I also think it's the cover seeking mechanic. They're always trying to get into cover instead of just doing it during combat.
8 Aug 2013, 12:20 PM

yeah I also feel like infantry squads were much more responsive in coh1.
8 Aug 2013, 12:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Squads seeking cover and engaging units is often useful but sometimes when you order to dodge a molotv they run inside the fire the next instant.
Or when you send a squad to the edge of a cap zone they sometimes move out the capzone to engage in fights.
But on the other hand it is useful they get in the firezone. Maybe atoggle would be best idk
8 Aug 2013, 12:27 PM

I liked how DoW II did it. You told the units to get into cover. They went where the dots were. And they stayed there.
8 Aug 2013, 13:47 PM

the troops use too many unnecessary movements, are in cover, and then rise up, move stop wallowing etc., on the one hand is spectacular the other is frustrating
8 Aug 2013, 15:06 PM

I find it very difficult to position a squad in vault-able cover during a fight, half the time they end up vaulting to the wrong side exposing their backs...
Also, very difficult to position on the desired side of some specific pieces of cover (tank carcass in the center of Winter Kolodny).
8 Aug 2013, 16:00 PM

Permanently Banned
You told the units to get into cover. They went where the dots were. And they stayed there.

This.

There is some kind of really retarded dancing going on by infantry when they should be staying put in cover that was assigned to them, and firing at immobile accuracy.
8 Aug 2013, 16:53 PM

They would dance around cover in vCoH as well.

To stop this, and control the cover mechanic a little better, you had to drag click them into cover. They would position themselves there, and for the most part, STAY there.

I've found that trying this in CoH2 sometimes ends up in units being behind the cover object, but not getting the cover bonuses, especially for MG's and crewed weapons.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★