Login

russian armor

2V2 Random loss as OKW replay review

11 Nov 2017, 06:54 AM

If any higher level OKW random players have time to look at this, please review it.

I lost an hour long 2v2 on Crossing against a USF/UKF team where I made a lot of mistakes early yet it still felt winnable until about 40-50 minutes in. Here are the questions that I have:
1) Unit composition - on that map and matchup, was Scavenge the right doctrine to pick? JLI's didn't seem to be any better than volks on that map and that type of fighting
2) After losing my schwerer, should I have rebuilt it or just stuck with calling in a KT?
3) Was getting a KT the right choice? It seemed to not be effective with the Jacksons and Firefly's on the other side.
4) A lot of times, the game felt like two 1v1's, except when the other team hammered one of us. Did it look that bad, and do you have any suggestions on how to avoid the situation. I mostly tried to stay center but remember being far away a couple of times while my teammate was getting rekt.
5) Any other strategic mistakes?
12 Nov 2017, 00:16 AM

I'm taking care of that. I'm not that best 2's player, but I might help with some things, like micro and builds.

Overall game timeline with my comments:
1:30 - if you see Rifle + RE's coming against your Volk squad, you should pulled them closer to base I feel. Then you could fight there until 2nd squad would arrived and probably pulled it off without losing cut off.

~2:00 No idea why did you bring those Spios over red cover and rushed up prepared rifles. I feel you should've gone help this Kubel out, quickly fix and then you might try to catch another squad. In that case you were forced to pull back. Remember that, stosspionieere aren't a veteran Panzergrnadieres. They can easily deal a lot of damage, but at the same time they are veeeery vulnerable, especially at approaches. You should play them more carefully.

~2:50
Try to be more efficient and take cover - why we should give free MP and experience too your opponent? :snfPeter:

~3:40
You are finally taking this cut off which is decaptured for roughly 90 sec :P Firstly focus on small things, as soon as you finish - take care about those bigger like taking the fuel point etc.

~4:00
No need to rush up these volks to prevent capturing. You were forced to pull back but in other case you could easily get those rifles out of there. In both situations you could lose some time but at least with my suggestion you could carry one more squad on the field. Situation happened few times I believe.

~6:00
I feel like you didn't know what you already wanted to do. You kept these volks far behind front line, not even tried to build sandbags or something that would help you in defense. Really, sandbags would be decent as you can only imagine because whole game you suffered to luck of cover.

Overall after 7th minute, USF helped his mate to pull other side off when you stayed somewhere behind, not doing anything, not even preparing defense. Not even tried to help him in any way. Imagine what you could done if you entered their cut off. Maybe catch forcing a retreating unit? Still a missed opportunity I feel.

~11:30

If you see a horde coming with smoke and other stuff and there is no infantry nearby - pull this MG-34 back. There is mostly chance you will lose him after one nade. You never shouldn't leave your HMG alone. Or at least change the position after attack to make it hard to kill it. In that case he stole your MG and after that you had such trouble with that whole game.

~17:30
No idea why you decide yo take Ostwind instead Panzer IV or even Panther. I mean it ain't bad in that case, but you didn't suspect any Armour from the opponents, especially when they kept one fuel all the game? It would be gee gee once they rush up for armor and you had only one raketen which we all know, are pretty easy to decrew. Mate wouldn't help you neither once he went for StuPa. Try to play more careful. This time nothing really happened but in other's game it can goes very badly for ya.

I will skip most of the game because there is nothing that much happend. You are doing quite well with your resources and decisions but you should focus more on your infantry because you are losing it like crazy to all those grenades. You are not even trying to put them at the cover at this point. It's quite disappointing. You could replace all those loses with elite infantry but instead you went Volks. I wouldn't do that and definitely take more late game infantry. Even those Jagers wouldn't be that bad, with their snipe chance they are working pretty cool. And you still have higher visions, sprint which could let you help with all those nades and infiltration nades.

~55:00
That KT lost tho. Not sure why you did that. Not repaired and towards the enemy - it won't work :D Soon after that your mate lose Elefant to AEC and Firefly because you didn't help him. Why did you keep JPIV that close to Elefant? That lost you and him there.

After that you lost another KT the same way, you are sending it straight to theirs AT, giving tasty meat to eat. You should use keep this back and attack only with AT guns and Infantry cover - sending your tanks alone will always be a win for your opponent's. I won't comment all those Ostwind loses because I feel like it was rather miss micro than reckless decision.
You definitely lost to lack of infantry which could cap fuel and VP's. With one squad remain, you focused only on center and you lost it like whole 6th Army under Stalingrad. I felt like you should go for some more infantry over those flakpanzers. Can be even Jagers, but I'd recommend you Obersoldaten to fit late game infantry role.

Remember to use bobby traps with your Jagers. There is such potential to wipe whole squad, especially when you are leaving squad there and moving as soon as his whole squad enter the point. 199% wipe guarantee. Now I'll answer your questions:

1. Unit composition - on that map and matchup, was Scavenge the right doctrine to pick? JLI's didn't seem to be any better than volks on that map and that type of fighting

As you could notice your Ostwind done quite well if it reached 5th vet. Opponent's tend to blob and flakpanzers are quite potent to quickly take them off.

2) After losing my schwerer, should I have rebuilt it or just stuck with calling in a KT?

It's dependent actually - if you felt that you will carry your an actual KT you could rebuild it. In that case, Schwerer wouldn't be that useful.

3) Was getting a KT the right choice? It seemed to not be effective with the Jacksons and Firefly's on the other side.

In that case - it was. You didn't had such options to take. Panthers would die even quicker, not even mentioning P4's. Problem was, as I said above, not using it right. But overall, no idea why you didn't decide to go walking stukas to kill their crew weapons. It would work more excellent especially with infrared half track which could be used for reconnaissance role.

4) A lot of times, the game felt like two 1v1's, except when the other team hammered one of us. Did it look that bad, and do you have any suggestions on how to avoid the situation. I mostly tried to stay center but remember being far away a couple of times while my teammate was getting rekt.

I leave this ask for some1's who has more experience with 2's and overall team games.

5) Any other strategic mistakes?

Depends what you call a strategic mistakes. You were lost on tactical level. You lost the battle, you lost the war we can say.
12 Nov 2017, 15:19 PM

Thanks for taking the time to review. A lot of the squad wipes came from sticking around too long trying to decap or thinking that I'd get my grenade off first, then retreating without getting the grenade off and still losing the squad.

It's interesting how you could see the indecisiveness. There were multiple times where I was thinking WTF do I do now?

I will try Obers in long matches next time. I took a long break from playing and when I started again, it seemed like Volks were so efficient that there wasn't much of a reason to use anything else. I've tried Obers in 3's and 4's where they didn't seem to be worthwhile due to the stupid amount of indirect (particularly mortar pits) and the long reinforce time.

Thanks again
12 Nov 2017, 18:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2017, 15:19 PMGrumpy
Thanks for taking the time to review. A lot of the squad wipes came from sticking around too long trying to decap or thinking that I'd get my grenade off first, then retreating without getting the grenade off and still losing the squad.

In most cases you lost squads on retreat with reaming one-two model on really tight health. You should move more around when you have no sight and you suspect there is a enemy's infantry squad which can nade you. Something like dodgin incoming mortar shells.

It's interesting how you could see the indecisiveness. There were multiple times where I was thinking WTF do I do now?

Even if I played on follow camera option and turned fog of war on, for much higher immersion I know what was up :p Takein mind I have much over 3000 hours ig, I pretty know how into those things :p

I will try Obers in long matches next time. I took a long break from playing and when I started again, it seemed like Volks were so efficient that there wasn't much of a reason to use anything else. I've tried Obers in 3's and 4's where they didn't seem to be worthwhile due to the stupid amount of indirect (particularly mortar pits) and the long reinforce time.

Volks are quite good once they get veted up (3+) but in that case they die even faster than obers. I think situation after patch will be more clear in decision like this. But still remember, it's dependent only on your micro but Obers will be more rewarding on a longer run.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★