Login

russian armor

Best books ?

16 Apr 2019, 21:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2019, 19:20 PMPARROT

I enjoyed Tigers in the Mud too.

I'd also recommend Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck. His autobiography starts before the war and continues into Russian captivity at the end.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.
16 Apr 2019, 21:39 PM

Also no one appears to have mentioned 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer which is a famous best seller. I found it an epic read.

Here is the 'blurb':

An international bestseller, this is a German soldier's first-hand account of life on Russian front during the second half of the Second World War.

When Guy Sajer joins the infantry full of ideals in the summer of 1942, the German army is enjoying unparalleled success in Russia. However, he quickly finds that for the foot soldier the glory of military success hides a much harsher reality of hunger, fatigue and constant deprivation. Posted to the crack Grosse Deutschland division, with its sadistic instructors who shoot down those who fail to make the grade, he enters a violent and remorseless world where all youthful hope is gradually ground down, and all that matters is the brute will to survive. As the biting cold of the Russian winter sets in, and the tide begins to turn against the Germans, life becomes an endless round of pounding artillery attacks and vicious combat against a relentless and merciless Red Army. A book of stunning force, this is an unforgettable reminder of the horrors of war.
16 Jun 2019, 21:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2019, 21:39 PMPARROT

Yo dude, just started reading Panzer Commander a couple of days ago and it really caught my attention because Hans mentioned Rommel. Sadly my phone sort of died so I need to fix it in order to continue to read it but I definitely liked how it started, really reminiscent of Tigers in the Mud. Do send me anything else Panzer/Tiger related you got, seems like we're interested in the same stuff.
23 Sep 2019, 00:31 AM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 33
Germany 7
unknown 4
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W