Login

russian armor

Countering Russian Weapon teams

3 Aug 2013, 16:57 PM

Hi there,

I recently lost a game against Rus and one problem linger in my mind. The opponent has been using a few weapons teams mgs, at guns and loads of conscripts. The problem is that, I determine that to complete the push I need to eliminate the weapon teams first, which will cut through my inf and tanks unless de-crewed, but I ended up in failure. I took a great deal of effort to de-crew (namely due to the big weapon squad size) but it is achievable, but once i de-crew, those weapons are instantly re-crewed by the surrounding conscripts, and continue to kill my units. Those conscripts aren't much of a problem since they won't be able to do enough damage as my units, but their numbers make them easy to re-crew weapon teams which are my true pain making simply de-crewing them not that easy. So I would like to ask for some advice on how to deal with these weapon teams?

For your reference I have a replay (but I dunno how to attach it in this post). In that game, I know I sucked and losing the early mg42 really cost me quite heavily (losing many engagements from that mg42), but still I wish to know how to push through weapon teams with conscripts around. I usually use Grens + P4 with G43+LMG to push.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Edit: Found out that I need to upload elsewhere. Here is the link:
http://www.coh2.org/replays/6285/countering-russian-weapon-teams
8 Aug 2013, 06:20 AM
Patrion 26

Hi there,

I recently lost a game against Rus and one problem linger in my mind. The opponent has been using a few weapons teams mgs, at guns and loads of conscripts. The problem is that, I determine that to complete the push I need to eliminate the weapon teams first, which will cut through my inf and tanks unless de-crewed, but I ended up in failure. I took a great deal of effort to de-crew (namely due to the big weapon squad size) but it is achievable, but once i de-crew, those weapons are instantly re-crewed by the surrounding conscripts, and continue to kill my units. Those conscripts aren't much of a problem since they won't be able to do enough damage as my units, but their numbers make them easy to re-crew weapon teams which are my true pain making simply de-crewing them not that easy. So I would like to ask for some advice on how to deal with these weapon teams?

For your reference I have a replay (but I dunno how to attach it in this post). In that game, I know I sucked and losing the early mg42 really cost me quite heavily (losing many engagements from that mg42), but still I wish to know how to push through weapon teams with conscripts around. I usually use Grens + P4 with G43+LMG to push.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Edit: Found out that I need to upload elsewhere. Here is the link:
http://www.coh2.org/replays/6285/countering-russian-weapon-teams

Try using the mortar Halftruck, use the incendiary shot and follow up with your forces, you should manage to kill the weapon teams and keep the conscripts away from them for some time. If you have a P4 or PGrens with shreks then use the to destroy the decrewed weapon.
That is how I do it but I don`t guarantee a 100% win there =)
11 Aug 2013, 12:53 PM

It's important to use mobility to make it so that recrewing isn't a valid reaction, or is a costly action at least.

After decrewing the unit for the first time, move your units to the flank of it's current position. Therefore if the enemy wishes to recrew it, he has to lose what offensive power he has on your current location to recrew the weapon, pick it up, and reface it. This amount of time allows you to focus-fire the weapon while taking minimum fire in return.
17 Aug 2013, 15:31 PM

It's important to use mobility to make it so that recrewing isn't a valid reaction, or is a costly action at least.

After decrewing the unit for the first time, move your units to the flank of it's current position. Therefore if the enemy wishes to recrew it, he has to lose what offensive power he has on your current location to recrew the weapon, pick it up, and reface it. This amount of time allows you to focus-fire the weapon while taking minimum fire in return.

Many thanks guys! I never thought of using Mortar HT or simply moving out of arc to make him choose. Will definitely take that into account.

Cheers.
19 Aug 2013, 01:19 AM

Snipers, light vehicles, and the best counter: rifle grenades.

Soviet machine guns don't suppress quickly and it is almost guaranteed that you can attack them with a rifle grenade, even head on.

And yes of course, the mortar HT.

Take the map as aggressively as you can. If your opponent gets tier2 quickly, he is going to lose a squad to do it (200+ manpower building + build time).

I don't find tier 2 very effective as a soviet player in 1v1, especially early game.
19 Aug 2013, 12:57 PM

Snipers, light vehicles, and the best counter: rifle grenades.

Soviet machine guns don't suppress quickly and it is almost guaranteed that you can attack them with a rifle grenade, even head on.

And yes of course, the mortar HT.

Take the map as aggressively as you can. If your opponent gets tier2 quickly, he is going to lose a squad to do it (200+ manpower building + build time).

I don't find tier 2 very effective as a soviet player in 1v1, especially early game.

You can normally hit with a riflenade (which is why grens are more problematic head-on than P-grens) but often it'll just be a waste of munitions for 2 kills or something. Would not recommend Ostheer sniper (*maybe* on Pripyat Winter but otherwise...) in any scenario really. Much too squishy.

I'd recommend the MHT wholeheartedly as an anti-weapons team spam thing for the Ostheer. Makes a huge difference for your ability to put pressure on things, make AT guns relocate. On a littleish map you can use it as a general anti-capping tool as well.

Personally, if I'm going Tier 2 it's almost always after 2 or 3 conscripts. Going straight to it makes you too vulnerable to vehicles.
20 Aug 2013, 20:06 PM

Playing recently I can really say that the MHT is the ultimate counter to a conscript tier two start or a player going conscript tier 2 ---> 3 as it really wrecks the hell out of weapon teams and AT guns.
If you go for it you need some AT nearby so it's not taken out by a T-70 swooping in, and I would recommend using plenty of MGs and weapon crews yourself as I find them almost uncounterable on the smaller maps supported by 1 or 2 MHTs as SU mortars or snipers can be really wrecked by these things incendiary barrage; on Minsk pocket with the two fuels close it is downright ridiculous.
Once you have that up a little good AT will break things in.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★