Login

russian armor

Should I get UKF Mortars & How to Counter Blobs? [Team]

20 Jun 2017, 06:04 AM

Permanently Banned
I know generally Brits do get mortars because hey it's 2 Mortars in a entrenched emplacement. Surely that should provide a lot of firepower and a higher chance of hitting if the first one misses, right?

Unfortunately, I feel like from my experience (been trying out Brits for a week), I often have had terrible luck with them. Either it gets pounded to hell by Ost Mortars and OKW Leigs or it completely misses the intended targets.

Like with the latter we had a match where I had a mortar pit and my friend did too and our infantry were getting wiped by these two Ost Mortars with great (GPS) accuracy. And so when we spotted their two mortars which were literally clumped up together, we both barraged them with 2 mortar pits (4 mortars in total). Annnnnnd... completely hits everything BUT them. Yup, two clumped up mortars managed to avoid a single casualty to four freaking mortars barraging them.

And compared to other mortars, I rarely see the mortar pit get a wipe...

But problem is that if I dont get mortars, how am I supposed to wipe OKW infantry and blobs? As Brits I feel like there's not enough anti blob units out there, especially tasked in wiping out blobs. The Vickers just suppresses and often will get swarmed by the blobs or wiped out by pinpoint accurate Leigs and mortars. Infantry Section cant do crap against Vetted Volks blobs w/ MP44s. Mortars can't seem to hit even blobs.

Centaurs maybe? But if I get the Centaur, I wont have a basic medium tank or a Tank destroyer and by that time a Panzer will likely have emerged by then. Plus with Centaurs it doesn't suppress so you have to micro it backwards a la kiting.
20 Jun 2017, 06:58 AM

The advantage of any mortar is that it punishes any nearby stationary infantry and requires a minimum of micro effort from the owner. Emplacements have the advantage of also being somewhat sturdy and can resist attacks for a decent amount of time before being destroyed.

Your story sounds like you were incredibly unlucky because Ost mortar crews are not a very safe or reliable way of destroying emplacements.

Speaking from a 1v1 perspective I tend to hold of emplacements until the mid game and only provided that I am not significantly behind my opponent in terms of fielded units. Often there is a period of floating manpower before having enough fuel for mediums which is well invested into an emplacement. Ideally this should be somewhat defensive but still cover at least one VP and vital ressource point (fuel or munitions).

Often this will not have a huge direct impact in terms of damage, but the psychological effect is quite significant and the opponent will often either try to charge it (and hit my defensive mines), avoid the area and let me focus elsewhere or keep shuffling their units around meaning that they fight less effeciently.

In a 2v2 you might consider only one of you getting an emplacement, or place them in very different areas of the map to cover more ground, and then focus on keeping them covered. I wouldn't put too much stress into Ostheer mortars. ISGs are a whole other matter however. They need to be charged, sniped or put down with grenades from cloaked commandos
20 Jun 2017, 17:56 PM

I recommend you to read this Guide of mine.

If this guide doesn´t help you with mortar pit placement in 1v1 I don´t know what will ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, I´m here to help ya after all :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS