Login

russian armor

What would you change/add (if anything)?

23 Aug 2013, 03:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 16:02 PMAvNY
This isn't about strategy. I know (at least in theory) how to play the game though my micro is only now getting better. The questino is balance.

Yes Supply drop give you munitions. But you are trading in 100 mp for it, the most dear commodity in the game. Mortars are not "free", they cost 81 mp (yes, a bargain) but they are fragile. They are also limited in speed an use, and by late game of more limited utility. But no, they are NOT artillery.

Mortars are only "guaranteed" effective (as in they do what you want/need) when laying smoke. They might be able to crit a vehicle if you get really really lucky. It cannot do what all the other artillery do which is area denial or fortification/base bombard. Not to mention that anything US gets from the 61mm mortar the Axis gets even better from the 80mm.

Instead of going in circles, lets stipulate that either the mortar is a piece of artillery or it isn't. If it is, let's just take the Stuka and the Nebel from Wehr, since they already have artillery and it is better than the US artillery.

It should be. Mortar has always being seen as one kind of artillery, isn't it?

Area denial and fortification/base bombard? Surely it can do that though not as effective as other arty. Still can help you bombard units, bunkers, 88 mm, flak 20 mm, and/or draw enemy arty from your other units.
23 Aug 2013, 13:48 PM

It should be. Mortar has always being seen as one kind of artillery, isn't it?

Area denial and fortification/base bombard? Surely it can do that though not as effective as other arty. Still can help you bombard units, bunkers, 88 mm, flak 20 mm, and/or draw enemy arty from your other units.

yes to all.... doesn't change the fact that the US gets a 61mm mortar, the Axis the 81mm (greater range, AOE, etc,) but nothing as compared to the Nebel or Stuka. To make up for that they get doctrinal artillery. More effective but takes a while to get and is expensive. ... Except of course Airborne! (See, this will go around in circles since you don't accept that a mortar and the bomb-run does not constitute "real" artillery.)
23 Aug 2013, 14:47 PM

Well, if you go Airborne then mortar is the only arty option you'll ever get.
I just feel that many Airborne players underestimate the use of mortars. Even Nebel or Stuka need more than one to be effective, and those are not cheap, of course they will be better. But that doesn't mean cheaper things don't have their use.
23 Aug 2013, 14:57 PM

I always man my mortars and MG's. One of the benefits of AB is to get those without T2 (so long as you can do without a sniper) but that means only mid-game at best. But the other benefit was supposed to be a bomb run that would obliterate whatever was in its path. But it is broken. At the level of damage it does and with the warning it gives it should either be cheaper (150), give no warning just like strafe, or be buffed back to the area obliteration ability it used to be. Possibly 2 of those 3 since AB has no (ok, very limited) artillery options. By the time it comes into the game strafe is close to useless anyway.

Or add a small artillery piece because.... it would be cool.
23 Aug 2013, 14:59 PM

Is there a like doctrine in Wehr that needs fixing? I just don't think so. Each has some special abilities, tanks, infantry. Each allows for a well rounded force. You can't say the same about US.
23 Aug 2013, 15:17 PM

The Wehr doctrines are not so well round, in fact i think US doctrines are stronger.
It's their non-doctrine units list make up for that, so many units, each one fullfills its role beautifully.

I wish US have something like this :p:

23 Aug 2013, 15:28 PM

I don't think we would want to change that. The two factions are very different and play differently yet are balanced. I would change bought vet to a bought/unit (much cheaper though) because it has a tendency to break the late game and multiplayer.

Let's get back to BIG ideas folks. Or real bugs.
23 Aug 2013, 18:33 PM

I think the vet system is more or less fine. Allied Vet 3 > Axis Vet 3. Yes you have to keep your soldiers alive but there is a greater benefit if you do. It also discourages Allied players from turtling, because if you do, the longer the game goes on, the better the Axis team will fair. You have to play each faction differently. I play American much more aggressive than I do Wher.
26 Aug 2013, 17:38 PM

Oh i almost forgot something very important: the missfire bug of the M-10.

Wish they could redo it. One of the most crucial unit of the game and i really love it too.
26 Aug 2013, 22:32 PM

Yeah, even though I'd say the vet system tips in favor of the wher, the longer the game goes, I would still keep it in the game for reasons others have mentioned.

I've also thought of a slight change. The ToV vehicles are chosen in the menu before the match, but it would be really neat if you had the choice ingame. So when you build your tank depot you have a choice between an M10 or a hellcat. Once you make your choice it is locked for duration of the match.

This may give some love to the ToV vehicles, seeing as some of them are very situational.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS