Login

russian armor

What would you change/add (if anything)?

20 Aug 2013, 14:14 PM

New unit:
Airborne artillery (M116 75mm air-portable howitzer or M3 105mm)

Airborne company choice has no artillery (except the overly expensive and underwhelming bomb run) but two types of air-portable howitzers were used in numbers. 5,000 m116 75mm howitzers and 2500 m3 105mm howitzers. The 105s did not have the same range as the m2 105mm field gun, but they were still artillery.
20 Aug 2013, 19:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2013, 14:14 PMAvNY
New unit:
Airborne artillery (M116 75mm air-portable howitzer or M3 105mm)

Airborne company choice has no artillery (except the overly expensive and underwhelming bomb run) but two types of air-portable howitzers were used in numbers. 5,000 m116 75mm howitzers and 2500 m3 105mm howitzers. The 105s did not have the same range as the m2 105mm field gun, but they were still artillery.

Oh yes....good point about the problem with the airborne doc not having any decent arty. As someone a few posts earlier suggested, maybe just a fix for bombing run is needed...instead of adding a new unit.
21 Aug 2013, 18:57 PM

Blitz doesn't really have artillery either (Stuh does not count). You should have to make choices when selecting a doctrine. Not every doctrine should have artillery in my opinion. Two of the PE doctrines don't have artillery either. Henschells and butterfly bombs are not artillery pieces.

I like a good amount of the things posted above.

What I would like to have seen though, was 4 man airborne squads (similar to single player) where you could select either thompsons or recoiless rifles.

I would fix the British Stags (lower their armor and adjust mg on them).

Hetzer veterancy requirements need to be lowered.

I would like the ability to have the Tiger Ace or King Tiger call in.

I would reduce the detection radius just slightly on British Recon squads while moving.

I would make Cromwell Command Tank Bonuses slightly more effective.

I would buff all three Churchills slightly. I don't know how without making them too powerful but they are laughable at the moment.

Piats need a slight damage nerf.
21 Aug 2013, 20:14 PM

Blitz doesn't really have artillery either (Stuh does not count). You should have to make choices when selecting a doctrine. Not every doctrine should have artillery in my opinion. Two of the PE doctrines don't have artillery either. Henschells and butterfly bombs are not artillery pieces.

I like a good amount of the things posted above.

What I would like to have seen though, was 4 man airborne squads (similar to single player) where you could select either thompsons or recoiless rifles.

I would fix the British Stags (lower their armor and adjust mg on them).

Hetzer veterancy requirements need to be lowered.

I would like the ability to have the Tiger Ace or King Tiger call in.

I would reduce the detection radius just slightly on British Recon squads while moving.

I would make Cromwell Command Tank Bonuses slightly more effective.

I would buff all three Churchills slightly. I don't know how without making them too powerful but they are laughable at the moment.

Piats need a slight damage nerf.

First of all, Wehr have non-doctrinal artillery in the form of Nebels and Stuka, something Americans don't have. They may not be cannons, but they are most certainly artillery. And StuH's absolutely qualify as artillery. They can shoot over things and they blow things up real good! Their range is limited but they are mobile. Compare that to Americans who HAVE to use doctrinal ability to obtain artillery. The only one that doesn't cost munitions to use is the 105mm. AB were supposed to have a powerful off-map int he bombing run but since it is so nerfed they have only mortars and satchel charges (very limited range and cost 75 munitions).

One option to the buff the British armor imight be to give the Cromwell a Comet "upgrade" you can buy. The Comet was a better tank with a true ability to take on German armor. It was in service in some numbers by Dec. 1944 but never saw any major tank engagements (there weren't many German tanks left on the Western Front after Jan. 1945.
21 Aug 2013, 21:35 PM

The non-doctrinal artillery completely slipped my mind. That's true, Axis do have artillery regardless of doctrine choice. So do the British. Granted, PE does have a mortar half track. I think the best solution is to upgrade the bombing run as suggested.
22 Aug 2013, 03:20 AM

US has non doctrinal arty too: the US mortal. It's not too bad, should try to use it properly.
22 Aug 2013, 10:59 AM
Patrion 14

To be honest, i think US and Wehr are balanced pretty good.. Just the Brits and Panzer Elite have some balance problems..
Else the game is perfect for ME ;) Just saying for ME, because im pretty noob..
For example, making 1 lieutenant should be the maximum (for the Brits).
22 Aug 2013, 13:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 10:59 AMStafkeh
To be honest, i think US and Wehr are balanced pretty good.. Just the Brits and Panzer Elite have some balance problems..

Oh come on! Please show me where the mortar is ever referred to as artillery.

Wehr has proper artillery. Long range. Buy it once, use it a thousand times. They are even mobile. They are not a call in, not a demo, not a satchel charge, not firestorm/280mm/bomb run/155mm. Wehr has it. US can get it via Calliope or 105mm, but AB doesn't have it and even their call-in (bomb run) is crap. I think the bomb run was supposed to be like a V-1, but compare bomb-run usage and cost to V1 usage and cost. V1 is cheaper and will obliterate anything it hits. Bomb run is more expensive and who the F knows if it will kill things that are sitting in the path of the bombs. No one uses it unless they are floating munitions.

Give AB a 75mm air-droppable gun that is a nerfed 105mm but can be moved slowly (but what would you have to replace?). Or give it to US as a whole; add it to T3 as a possible replacement choice for the HT or to T4 as a choice instead of Croc.
22 Aug 2013, 13:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 10:59 AMStafkeh

Hi Satfkeh,

I don't have a problem with the Lt.s. They are expensive for such fragile units and without them Brit infantry is pretty lame. Sure the Infantry Sections are tough, but they are also EXPENSIVE to both build and reinforce. And slow to reinforce. And if you have played Brit you know that Lt.s are much harder to keep alive than snipers.

Brits might be OP, but they are hard to play. All those abilities means a lot of micro and a lot of remembering which buttons to push.

In general it is a hard thing to create factions that play fundamentally differently from US and Wehr (and each other) and still be balanced against all the others.

I have some issues with PE, few of them major. I think Scorched Earth is F-d. One should not be able to easily, cheaply, and quickly break VPs, especially not with a fast moving unit that is impervious to mines. That just breaks the game. Maybe strat/resource points, but not VPs.

I think Panther Battle Groups should be limited to a 1 PBG call in at a time. Sure they are expensive to tech up to, but at 1200 mp they are ridiculously worthwhile afterwards. At PE income levels that means 4 min for each PG as compared to 3 mins to a single US Pershing. Or compare each of those additional 1200 mp to the 1260mo/270 fuel (4.5 min for the mp, 6-9 min for the fuel) you would need for 3 Shermans (which would you rather have?). Vet them with defensive and they are just beasts; tanks that are better than a US tank in every way and can be made even better with vet. And eventually you don't need fuel to buy them.

I am not sure yet how I feel about the Bergetiger. Couple with PBGs and it is no wonder you face a sea of Panthers in multi-player.
22 Aug 2013, 15:09 PM

Ok AvNY first at least the US 60 mm mortal can move fairy quick and the range is long enough to be able to fire on the enemy without endangering itself. It can also barrage like an arty unit too. The damage is certainly not high but what can you expect from a 280 mp unit (and almost free if you go Airborne)?

My point is if you really need arty as Airborne then you should get it. One maybe too weak but two or more can pay in the long run.

Second about Bombing Run you forgot one thing: you can get 100 ammo from airborne drop so it's not that expensive just don't spam Strafe too much. Strafe is ineffective vs Wehr late game anyway.

About PBG: you don't fight Panthers with Shermans, just AT guns, Sticky bomb and some M18s (if you can) are enough. Panthers suck against AT guns. And Bergetiger is expensive, he can't field it if you don't let him.
22 Aug 2013, 16:02 PM

This isn't about strategy. I know (at least in theory) how to play the game though my micro is only now getting better. The questino is balance.

Yes Supply drop give you munitions. But you are trading in 100 mp for it, the most dear commodity in the game. Mortars are not "free", they cost 81 mp (yes, a bargain) but they are fragile. They are also limited in speed an use, and by late game of more limited utility. But no, they are NOT artillery.

Mortars are only "guaranteed" effective (as in they do what you want/need) when laying smoke. They might be able to crit a vehicle if you get really really lucky. It cannot do what all the other artillery do which is area denial or fortification/base bombard. Not to mention that anything US gets from the 61mm mortar the Axis gets even better from the 80mm.

Instead of going in circles, lets stipulate that either the mortar is a piece of artillery or it isn't. If it is, let's just take the Stuka and the Nebel from Wehr, since they already have artillery and it is better than the US artillery.
22 Aug 2013, 16:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 13:54 PMAvNY

I have some issues with PE, few of them major. I think Scorched Earth is F-d. One should not be able to easily, cheaply, and quickly break VPs, especially not with a fast moving unit that is impervious to mines. That just breaks the game. Maybe strat/resource points, but not VPs.

What version of COH are you playing? They switched out the ability on the PE schwimwagon a long time ago; from crippling VPs to being allowed to place incendiary traps for the SE doctrine.
22 Aug 2013, 16:52 PM

My problem is less with the ability on a Schwimm than with the ability to break the VP in general. Messing with the VPs, with the fundamental point system of the game, is as close to an "I win" button as I can fathom. Particularly in that it takes 1 second to apply and 40+ to fix. If it is deemed fundamental to the game then make it take more time, or cost a lot.
22 Aug 2013, 16:56 PM

I think we have got off topic. There is a lot more that could be done to make CoH1, or a derivative of it, better and cooler than vCoH without going to the extent of CoH2.

Similar look/feel/play with slightly sharper graphics (not even necessary in my opinion), a few AI-model and path adjustments, maybe truesight, and bang, you have an awesome CoH2.

Add Soviets in a later patch, and maybe a new doctrine or two to the old factions. I am sure people would spend money on it and it would be cheaper to create than a new game engine.
22 Aug 2013, 17:24 PM
Patrion 14

When Wehrmacht uses Defensive Rocket Barrage (Don't know the exact name) when they chose for the doctrine Defensive, can there be a warning message just a few miliseconds befor the barrage comes down. It deals so much damage you can lose all your squads when they are @ one point. Last game i had a sherman near a cut off. One barrage and it was gone. Thats not possible with Allied arty.. Also with the Allied arty you can hear the Howitzer being shot off.
22 Aug 2013, 18:13 PM

Nerf to MG42s.

Buff to all AT guns.

Give conscripts some upgrade option to allow scaling to mid game.

Nerf flame weapons against retreating units.

Undo AT nade and Faust change. It should be 100% engine damage.

EDIT: whoops, this thread is about coh1.
22 Aug 2013, 18:32 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 18:13 PMlink0
Nerf to MG42s.

Buff to all AT guns.

Give conscripts some upgrade option to allow scaling to mid game.

Nerf flame weapons against retreating units.

Undo AT nade and Faust change. It should be 100% engine damage.

This is not a CoH2 topic ;)
22 Aug 2013, 18:55 PM

blitzkreig vet 0 for su-85s
22 Aug 2013, 19:07 PM

blitzkreig vet 0 for su-85s

Do people even read the OP? This is about CoH1. Mostly some of us I guess just dreaming of what-could-have-been. Or hoping some game developer reads this and makes a newer and better game. (Also a dream.)
22 Aug 2013, 23:26 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 13:54 PMAvNY

Hi Satfkeh,

I don't have a problem with the Lt.s. They are expensive for such fragile units and without them Brit infantry is pretty lame. Sure the Infantry Sections are tough, but they are also EXPENSIVE to both build and reinforce. And slow to reinforce. And if you have played Brit you know that Lt.s are much harder to keep alive than snipers.

Brits might be OP, but they are hard to play. All those abilities means a lot of micro and a lot of remembering which buttons to push.

In general it is a hard thing to create factions that play fundamentally differently from US and Wehr (and each other) and still be balanced against all the others.

I think Panther Battle Groups should be limited to a 1 PBG call in at a time. Sure they are expensive to tech up to, but at 1200 mp they are ridiculously worthwhile afterwards. At PE income levels that means 4 min for each PG as compared to 3 mins to a single US Pershing. Or compare each of those additional 1200 mp to the 1260mo/270 fuel (4.5 min for the mp, 6-9 min for the fuel) you would need for 3 Shermans (which would you rather have?). Vet them with defensive and they are just beasts; tanks that are better than a US tank in every way and can be made even better with vet. And eventually you don't need fuel to buy them.

I am not sure yet how I feel about the Bergetiger. Couple with PBGs and it is no wonder you face a sea of Panthers in multi-player.

Hey AvNY :)

I don't think Brits are that hard to learn to play :p But you are right, they give a nice variety in gameplay. Lieutenants are pretty hard to kill if you ask me, if they are in the back of the "blob" :p However, even for blobbing there is a counter.
The PBG for PE is fine i think. Playing as US without AT guns isnt a smart plan most of the time. Just think every time there is a counter for almost everything :p German STEEL > US Trashcans :D

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★