Login

russian armor

DOW3 review round up

26 Apr 2017, 14:22 PM
28 Apr 2017, 17:02 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I always wonder how these small game sites stay afloat. I mean do people still go to these sites (or read reviews for that matter)
28 Apr 2017, 17:07 PM

I believe many review sites/businesses get paid by publishers or dev's for biased press. I can't imagine that a review website/business has much overhead to begin with though.
28 Apr 2017, 17:11 PM

To be honest, I only trust these guys. This channel is so sincere and on point, it is refreshing. Check em out if you can!

28 Apr 2017, 18:54 PM

the only thing holding me back from buying is the animations.

In CoH: screaming, crouching, prone soldiers, that reload their stuff muanually, looking around, holding the helmet while retreating etc. and and and...

in DoW3: 1 second loops of the same animations (worst one: devastors)

the worst thing: it was better in dow1 13 years ago
28 Apr 2017, 19:47 PM
Patrion 14

To be honest, I only trust these guys. This channel is so sincere and on point, it is refreshing. Check em out if you can!

+1 those guys are legit
28 Apr 2017, 20:42 PM

Subscribed months ago, great channel!!!
29 Apr 2017, 05:06 AM
Patrion 310

Imagine if Relic starts selling "elites" for real money like COH2. The P2W outrage will kill the game without any chance of recovery. The primary reason COH2 somewhat recovered (game not dead yet) from the P2W sentiments + bait and switch (War Spoils Skydive Event) was because the game has no real competition.

If Relic intends to make money from elites, that should have been clearly communicated to the player base BEFORE launch day. Now it's TO LATE.
Many players might hate premium commanders/elites but there is something they will hate even more; bait and switch marketing. Even the new EA CEO are trying to stay away from these past mistakes. EAs new mantra is; "think players first".

Why are paid games adding micro payments (article by the owner of steamspy)?
https://galyonk.in/why-paid-games-are-adding-micro-payments-526f358426c6

How Electronic Arts stopped being the worst company in America
https://www.cnet.com/news/how-electronic-arts-stopped-being-the-worst-company-in-america/
Turning the Titanic

That group of executives who met with Probst in April 2013 ultimately became what he called a rehabilitation group. Their job was to fix customers' complaints.

"Very early on, we developed a list of policies," Probst said. "We systematically went down the list -- what can we do differently?"

Among them, EA created a "Great Game Guarantee," offering customers a full refund, for any reason, of a game purchased through its online store within 24 hours of first playing, or in the first seven days of purchase.

The company also did away with a draconian feature it built to fight piracy and reselling of used games, which required customers to type in a code on their computer or game console.

See also: Five ways Electronic Arts got back into the game

Next, EA worked on fixing its relationship with customers. Gamers are not like most normal people; they're committed, passionate, enthusiastic consumers who go all in when a new game they want is released. Some sit in front of their screen, mashing on buttons for hours -- or days -- until they finish the latest title. The company needed someone at the helm who understood them.

In September 2013, Andrew Wilson was named EA's new CEO after Riccitiello left abruptly. Then 39 years old, Wilson had rapidly risen from being a developer in the company's Australian offices to head of its sports games, including Madden football and FIFA soccer. He'd also overseen the company's "Ultimate Team" services, a form of fantasy sports that became a bedrock of the company's games and profits.

Free Elites? Enjoy it while it last to next expansion?

29 Apr 2017, 12:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I believe many review sites/businesses get paid by publishers or dev's for biased press. I can't imagine that a review website/business has much overhead to begin with though.

I guess that's true, but what seperates them from regular reviewers, people that make video reviews on yt then?
29 Apr 2017, 12:19 PM
Donator 33

TotalBiscuit just tore it a new one.

He liked 1 and 2 but 3 has nothing new; it is limited in modes and maps, it is made to be stale meta, allowing it to be a DLC platform.

+1 to Cobra post.

- 1 to the Pretty Good Gaming review, though.

All that video does is praise the game and then say some things are maybe a bit "not quite there" - well, when they said that the single player campaign isn't "as enthralling" as CoH2's campaign, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

The YouTube comments seem the most sane thing about that video :D
29 Apr 2017, 15:05 PM
Benefactor 115

the steam reviews are shite as well
29 Apr 2017, 18:15 PM

- 1 to the Pretty Good Gaming review, though.

They said it was a downstep from DOW II and didn't have anything that made CoH2 great. They simply named some great things from the game, which it surely has. It just isn't a good game compared to DOW II. Did you even listen to them lol?

As for the channel, it is a great channel.
29 Apr 2017, 19:07 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Wtf you can't rotate the camera??? 0/10
29 Apr 2017, 19:19 PM
Patrion 14

2017 game no customizable hotkeys or proper observer mode...
Kinda thought they'd learned after CoH 2
29 Apr 2017, 20:47 PM

I was highly skeptical of the game, like most people on coh2.org, but after playing the open beta I decided to buy the game and am glad I did.

There are a few valid criticisms of the game such as:
*The UI could be way better, it kind of sucks in a few ways. Hopefully there will be a UI overhaul.

*No customizable hotkeys (I don't care because I'd use grid keys anyways) but this seems a bit funny coming from the coh2 crowd.

*Low number of maps on launch. This is easily fixable.

*Maybe a few others that I am forgetting at the moment, but almost all the criticisms I've heard do not apply to the core game - which is quite good.

The positives:
*Combat is fun, intense, and beautiful to watch (this is important for spectators)

*Symmetrical maps.

*Mirror matches enabled.

*Easy to understand, difficult to master economy management.

*Base building is an actual thing (it is important where you place forward structures and that you continue to place structures forward as the game progresses.)

*Elite units are awesome, quite reminiscent of heroes in Wc3 - although not as ridiculous as Wc3 heroes could get late game.

*No RNG from what I've seen.

*The doctrine system is actually cool and interesting, unlike bulletins.

*The game performs well. I've never had any sort of major frame drops/lag even in 3v3s, while streaming.

Probably missing some positive aspects of the game because I just want to finish up this post.

Essentially almost every criticism I've seen, at least on coh2.org, ends up being shallow and mostly focused on non-core parts of the game. A lot of this comes off as people just hating on the game to hate on it because that's what all the cool kids are doing. The core game is legitimately good, quite a lot better than the core of CoH 2 I have to admit. (And I was extremely skeptical of DoW 3).

If you want a tactical RTS, you won't like DoW 3 because it is a traditional RTS. If you like traditional RTS, or if you liked Wc3, you'll probably enjoy DoW 3 a lot.
29 Apr 2017, 21:04 PM

the gameplay itself is actually not as bad as most people claim it to be imo. the whole moba/league thing is really overstated.
the game is fundamentally not a typical relic game though, it definitely lacks the immersion of coh2 and dow2 and leans more towards traditional rts gamey style
personally i wouldnt say that the fights are really beautiful to watch, right now combat is dominated by whoever can CC and knockback the most, and the animations and overall art aesthetic are pretty generic imo.

29 Apr 2017, 21:40 PM

The combat is more clear as to who is winning than CoH 2, which is a great thing for spectators.

CC and knockbacks are strong, but as long as you're not blobbing I don't think they're overly dominant. ASMs lose a lot of attacking time to jump into a knockback, unless you knock back more than one squad (or have many other squads focus firing) it isn't always worth it. Plus, most of the time the CC is avoidable.

Gabriel is pretty silly with the CC though... his directional knockback can be pretty OpieOP.
30 Apr 2017, 08:11 AM
Benefactor 115

looking at the steam review numbers its close to 50/50 so its a marmite game.

I'm having fun with it but what I'm mostly worried with is Relic's post game support and how that will turn out.
9 May 2017, 09:15 AM

Also for current players, is this game plagued with Bugsplat?
9 May 2017, 14:00 PM
Donator 22

Game is running fine, never had a Bugsplat in 25 hours playtime.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★