Login

russian armor

floating manpower before unlocking schwere panzer tanks?

26 Apr 2017, 08:47 AM

I know that this might seem like a silly quiestion on the surface, but watching so many casts and reading so many posts on the matter I have come to the point where I'm almost feeling traumatized if I have more that 500 manpower in reserve and feel compelled to use it.

This has mainly happened with brits and OKW where my medkits have managed to give me very good unit preservation which in turn means that the mp is racking up.

I believe that this need for spending might have been partly to blame for me loosing a match last week where I was dominating my soviet opponent and ended up building something like 6 units of volksgrenadiers and 3 sturmpios and even an leFH (which was a retarded idea!). The problem was that meanwhile he had conserved enough fuel to push out a KV-8 which obliterated my raketens and infantry and at this point I was nearly pop-capped with highly vetted infantry who had no real impact on a kv-8. from here it quickly spiraled out of control and I must give my opponent a lot of respect for accepting terrible losses in the first part og the game whilst keeping focused on the late game returns.

So I guess my question is, what to do with big manpower reserves before the tanks roll out? As brits I guess the answer could be more cashes, but OKW does not have that priviledge?
26 Apr 2017, 09:12 AM
Donator 11

Do you mean in 1v1? Or some other mode?
26 Apr 2017, 09:14 AM

Do you mean in 1v1? Or some other mode?

Sorry I should have clarified that.

This has exclusively been a problem in 1v1s
26 Apr 2017, 11:08 AM

with 3 sturmpioner, i can't understand how you got beaten by a single kv-8.

they can put so many mines around the hot spot that any tank should not be an issue, except if you didn't have enough amo for mines because you used all of them for medik kit ?

i doubt that, but if it was the case then your problem is solved -> less medik kit, more mines.
26 Apr 2017, 11:39 AM

with 3 sturmpioner, i can't understand how you got beaten by a single kv-8.

they can put so many mines around the hot spot that any tank should not be an issue, except if you didn't have enough amo for mines because you used all of them for medik kit ?

i doubt that, but if it was the case then your problem is solved -> less medik kit, more mines.

I think I lost one of the sturmpios, but yeah that leaves me with two. I did use a lot of mines, but they have to be put down before the tank hits the field and you have to have somewhat predict where they go. Also unlike tellermines the shuemine can be triggered by infantry so it has to be the tank that triggeres it.

But you do have a point and I also think that one of my grave mistakes was taking fortifications doctrine and using s-mines, because that brought his guard up and fielded several engineers with sweepers.

Hindsight is always 20/20 i guess, but I think in the future I have to remember to be better at planning ahead for the late game and be better at predicting what comes next.
26 Apr 2017, 12:14 PM
Donator 11

if we are talking about the 1v1 then the answer is simple build counters to enemy unit you have least counters against. In this case you expected armour to come so you needed more raketens. Then hide them so that your opponent doesn't know about them and bait his kv into a trap.

Going additional volks or doctrinal infantry would be a good choice if you know that your opponent relies mostly of infantry becouse he already lost his fuel purchase or had a poor map control.

As for ukf and all the other factions, remember that apart from some very rare and demanding builds, caches are not a good idea in 1v1. That is becouse the revenue is so slow. In 1v1 the cache has to be on the field for 20 minutes before it pays for itself and becouse the frontline is often changing it very rarely does. Also, this additional manpower can be used for gaining more ground and thus getting even more resources.

So, similarly to okw it is better to build more units of the type you need at the moment instead, becouse at that point of the game you are not pop capped yet. Alternatively you can try something that is usually too costly to pay out but not in this situation - attacking the most secured and valuable part of enemy line.
26 Apr 2017, 13:59 PM

As for ukf and all the other factions, remember that apart from some very rare and demanding builds, caches are not a good idea in 1v1. That is becouse the revenue is so slow. In 1v1 the cache has to be on the field for 20 minutes before it pays for itself and becouse the frontline is often changing it very rarely does. Also, this additional manpower can be used for gaining more ground and thus getting even more resources.

I see your point, but couldn't the argument be made that the ressource cashes can be used to defend cut-offs from being de-capped and buy you some more time to defend it from getting your ressources cut off?
26 Apr 2017, 16:11 PM
Donator 11

I see your point, but couldn't the argument be made that the ressource cashes can be used to defend cut-offs from being de-capped and buy you some more time to defend it from getting your ressources cut off?

Caches can be use to make capture of a point more dificult but you have to keep in mind that caches near the frontline usually die before generating any significant amount of resources. Therefore the question "Should I build a cache on cutoff to prevent opponent from getting it" is the equivalent of "Should I sacrifise a vet 0 squad to keep possesion of my cutoff", becouse a standard squad costs only marginally more than a cache. If the answer to the second question is "yes", and it sometimes is, you shuld build a cache there. But usually, when your opponent really has an opening against your cutoff this is nothing more than a self wipe, especially if you eventually loose the cutoff either way.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★