Login

russian armor

DACs and Amps

30 Nov 2012, 05:43 AM

I just bought some audiophile headphones and I have been looking for a digital to analog converter/amp so I can use them as a headset for PC and Xbox 360 gaming. Anyone have suggestions on a DAC? I have been looking at the Creative Recon 3D. Looks decent, overpriced, but decent.
Thanks,
Sunny
30 Nov 2012, 12:57 PM

For reasons which escape me by far and away the best value for money audio interfaces are manufactured by and for the pro and semi pro audio community. Look at RME, Presonus, TC-Konnect, Native Instruments and Roland, among others. M-Audio, E-MU and even Behinger are also very good products and exceptional value.

The problem you will have is finding one which supplies 5V power to the electret condenser microphone typically found on cheap headsets. That's why 1/8" microphone plugs are 'stereo' TRS for a mono device. The Ring contact carries the necessary 5V.

So the only devices I know for sure supply 5v over a 1/8" TRS are made by E-MU.

E-MU 0204

They also do a slightly cheaper 0202 model which is identical except it offers only 1 stereo channel out. If you have never experienced multi program out on a PC before you might not think you need it. You will find it very handy indeed and it's very much worth the extra.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★