Login

russian armor

Vet From Mines

29 Jul 2013, 06:04 AM

Maybe its just me who thinks this as for the most part the addition of a taking damage to gain vet change is certainly beneficial to the soviets.

And maybe this is a bug but since there is no offensive vet to be gained from mines players who fail to get mine sweepers should not get vet for skipping around with lead boots on.
29 Jul 2013, 07:44 AM

TBH the whole state of mines is far too whack right now. Russians just have such a huge advantage.

German mines cost too much, and generally suck. The Anti-infantry mines take forever to plant, cost 80 muni, are so big you can rarely even place them and are generally pretty weak. The Teller mine is better, but it's vehicle only (except your rifle-nade trick), and it's still 60 muni.

Meanwhile the Russians get a 35 muni (or is it 30?) mine that is triggered by either infantry or vehicles and does the same damage (or very similar) as the tellar mine.

It would be nice if it were like vCoH; each faction has 1 mine type that is triggered by both inf and vehicles, costs the same, and does the same damage.

As for the Vet. Yea, it makes no sense; planting mines and getting kills gets you nothing, but running into them gets you stuff. Seems like the wrong way around to me.
29 Jul 2013, 10:50 AM

You can place individual S mine squares if you cancel the build and it will refund you the remainder of the munis. The only problem is you have to have 80 munis banked to start building last time i checked, which isnt so cool. The S mine field is a great idea , but in competitive 1v1 its nigh on useless in its current state. Personally I'd vote for being able to lay just one square of s mines for 25 or 30 munis like the russian mine, rather than the whole field which is expensive and situationally limited.
29 Jul 2013, 11:44 AM

Soviet mines are too cheap.
29 Jul 2013, 15:24 PM

I agree. I did see a tellar mine do amazing damage to an su85 tho. I think it took more than half its health. Pretty darn good. The AI mine for germans is pathetic tho.
Only Relic postRelic 29 Jul 2013, 16:33 PM
Developer Relic Badge

The perception that teller mines are drastically inferior to soviet mines strikes me as odd. Personally, I enjoy having a mine that is more likely to have a high rate of return. It deals 500 damage, can only trigger on high value units, and is fairly cheap when you consider the targets it can one shot.

60 munitions to outright destroy a T70/SU-76 or lower seems like a pretty good deal.

That said, I realize its overall utility early game is quite low and does reduce the number of counters available to the German player, but its late game potential far exceeds its counterparts.
29 Jul 2013, 16:40 PM
Patrion 14

The perception that teller mines are drastically inferior to soviet mines strikes me as odd. Personally, I enjoy having a mine that is more likely to have a high rate of return. It deals 500 damage, can only trigger on high value units, and is fairly cheap when you consider the targets it can one shot.

60 munitions to outright destroy a T70/SU-76 or lower seems like a pretty good deal.

That said, I realize its overall utility early game is quite low and does reduce the number of counters available to the German player, but its late game potential far exceeds its counterparts.

Reasonable points, were it not for the Ostheer's critical, and often desperate, reliance on early game munis. By the late game I don't really need mines as I have pretty good tanks and shrek-equipped infantry.
29 Jul 2013, 16:44 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Tellers are great, I actually prefer them not detonating to infantry to ensure you geta high value target (except for m3)

I do have a problem with the anti inf mine. Sure you can only place one but you have to have 80 munis first which is a lot in the early game. It also takes long to place and it creates signs? wtf
Damage seems to be quite low as well
Players should be punished for not taking minesweeper not making it unnessecary.

To make it more useful I would get rid of the signs and be able to place one anti inf quadrant for 25
29 Jul 2013, 16:48 PM
Patrion 14

^ I think they threw the baby out with the bath water... they wanted to stop mines and snipers dominating the meta. I actually like what they did with snipers... and with Soviet mines. But not the Ostheer.
29 Jul 2013, 17:00 PM

Pqumsieh, is there anyway you would consider removing the blatantly obvious signs of the expensive (although effective) anti infantry minefields the Osteer can build? Or perhaps switching them for a 35 Munition multipurpose mine such as the Soviets have? At the moment you rarely if ever see the AI minefield as it's so damn obvious to spot even if it is possible to make a small 20 muni area of denial.
30 Jul 2013, 02:35 AM

What kind of damage does the Soviet mine deal, anyway? (Is there a site with this kind of info?). While the trade-off is good late game, it's still far too expensive to be useful early game.

The fact is, for about 15% more munitions, you can get two mines (2x more area covered) that can kill any type of unit. Meanwhile the German AT mine may be great (then there's the doctrine mine), but they have zero anti-infantry mine capability (Seriously the Smines suck - they don't kill); which is basically why I use mines in the first place. On top of that, the Smines actually have signs (as others have said), which makes them kind of pointless.

I'm still convinced that the best course of action would be to return to a CoH1 style of mine system, where each faction gets the SAME mine for the same cost, that can target both unit types.
30 Jul 2013, 04:38 AM

If memory serves it deals 200 damage, so less than half the damage for hlaf the cost
30 Jul 2013, 04:41 AM

get rid of the stupid mine field and make the non-teller mine act like the soviet mine. give it a higher cost to make up for the fact that the soviets have no teller.
30 Jul 2013, 05:36 AM

I find the german S minefield too expensive and time consuming for competitive matches. It would be nice if we could have cheaper and very specific Anti infantry mines to lay (maybe just 1/4 of the S minefield) for say 20-30 munitions.

This would allow the germans to have something that would damage the scout cars (but not necessarily disable) early game, and also damage flanking infantry. This rewards smart play and covering flanks with mines and baiting. Later on, the teller becomes useful, you should likely have a higher muni income and can allocate munitions for preparing for tanks.

Right now, the way the mines are... in the early game russian players can pretty much just drive all over the place whenever without any fear of repercussion. I don't find that very interesting gameplay. I guess I missing baiting jeeps and bikes in VCOH :P

IMO russian mines are fine and surprisingly underused from what i've seen (considering russians generally float munitions depending on strat)
30 Jul 2013, 12:41 PM

I find the german S minefield too expensive and time consuming for competitive matches. It would be nice if we could have cheaper and very specific Anti infantry mines to lay (maybe just 1/4 of the S minefield) for say 20-30 munitions.

You know, you dont have to lay the whole field.

Just put down a single one, or maybe two, to save time and costs.

I love the Minefield option. Wouldnt trade it in for "boring" soviet mines.
30 Jul 2013, 12:52 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

The minefield has to go, i used alot of mines in vcoh, but i just rarely use tellers now. Give us 25-35muni mines that you can lay quickly in a small area.
30 Jul 2013, 13:00 PM

The big minefield is fine, the massive warning signs which make even the sweeper upgrade pointless, are not.
30 Jul 2013, 13:00 PM

Personally, I would think that a mine which is cheaper, damages an engine (means death to any vehicle anyway - how many vehicles in VCoH that were overextended ended up surviving after they hit a mine? Not too many), can stop infantry flanks and can be laid throughout the game is a lot better than a high cost mine.

This is especially when the engine is only repaired after the vehicle is repaired to 100%

Thats the Sov mine vs the Ostheer Mine.
30 Jul 2013, 13:14 PM

To be honest, unless my Soviet mine magically gets a squad kill or destroys a flamer, I consider it a waste if it triggers on infantry. Sure muni-wise getting 2 kills (and sometimes 3) isn't a bad return, but I generally place them to deal with FHTs and later armour.
30 Jul 2013, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2013, 13:14 PMFunkeh
To be honest, unless my Soviet mine magically gets a squad kill or destroys a flamer, I consider it a waste if it triggers on infantry. Sure muni-wise getting 2 kills (and sometimes 3) isn't a bad return, but I generally place them to deal with FHTs and later armour.

Not really... a return for 90 manpower vs 35 muni is rather nice for any part of the game - it also kills an enemy flank and you certainly will know where anyone is going.

Ask any VCoH player - of one thing of the meta that was great in VCoH - it was mines.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 62
Korea, Republic Of 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment