Login

russian armor

[PSA] My Games dir filling up with files may cause low fps

5 Feb 2017, 14:09 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Company of Heroes 2 creates a lot of files in its My Games directory. Sometimes it might be a good idea to perform a little cleanup.

I've been experiencing ridiculous FPS drops so I decided to clean up COH2's My Games directory to see if it makes a difference. I had previously played a 4v4 compstomp and I used the replay file to create a reproducible benchmark. Here's the result:

Click for full size

Before cleaning up my games directory - After cleaning up my games directory

The duration of the benchmark is the first 6 minutes of the replay at 1x speed. As you can see, the performance increase is significant.

Here's the list of files/folders I deleted (that I know/assume are safe to delete):

From Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\ delete the following files/folders:
Cache\ -> Delete
LogFiles\ -> Delete
playback\ -> Delete/move to a backup folder if you want to access your replays later
all *.dat files (e.g. ItemBundlesCache-coh2-coh2.dat)
all *.log files (e.g. warnings.log, shrink.log)

I also have custom aesthetics disabled and ALL workshop skins+decals+faceplates unsubscribed and deleted to reduce the amount of data COH2 has to download at startup. Source: http://www.companyofheroes.com/blog/2017/01/12/mods-custom-games

Extra info

5 Feb 2017, 14:14 PM
Donator 22

Wow, this is a serious increase in fps. Will definitely try it out later and see if I get similar results.
5 Feb 2017, 21:08 PM

There is a trick to locking access to the playback folder in order to increase FPS.

I suppose "locking" these folders would be more feasible than having to weekly clean them up manually.
5 Feb 2017, 22:20 PM

The problem is the game automatically re-subscribes you for some skins and decals from time to time (at least it's how I see it). I've just restrict access to the folder 'mods' in properties -> security tab (Group or user names Everyone - Permissions Deny Write). For me it's not a problem of performance but much more of my inventory's 'purity' :D
Deleted Cache and Logfiles though. Thanks for the tip and research.
6 Feb 2017, 00:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2017, 22:20 PMHater
The problem is the game automatically re-subscribes you for some skins and decals from time to time (at least it's how I see it). I've just restrict access to the folder 'mods' in properties -> security tab (Group or user names Everyone - Permissions Deny Write). For me it's not a problem of performance but much more of my inventory's 'purity' :D
Deleted Cache and Logfiles though. Thanks for the tip and research.

It doesn't auto re-subscribe you to anything, the system just doesn't prevent the subscription of fatalities and decals from people in the lobby you're in.

And restricting access to the entire folder is a really bad move on your part, just restrict access to the sub folders containing the decals and fatalities.

I'm just wondering if this will work with CoH as well.
6 Feb 2017, 07:44 AM

Off-topic (sorry):

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are in-game options, that disables the subscription to custom skins, victory strikes and decals .. thus preventing the auto-downloads. It works for the Custom games. And there is only official stuff used in automatch.
6 Feb 2017, 10:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2017, 07:44 AMTaurus
Off-topic (sorry):

Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are in-game options, that disables the subscription to custom skins, victory strikes and decals .. thus preventing the auto-downloads. It works for the Custom games. And there is only official stuff used in automatch.

I've enabled the custom content blocker but the fatalities and decals still download regardless.
6 Feb 2017, 10:14 AM

It doesn't auto re-subscribe you to anything

And that's why I often go to steam workshop and to ingame modding hub and clicking Unsubscribe while never subscribe anything.
the system just doesn't prevent the subscription of fatalities and decals from people in the lobby you're in

What's the difference?
6 Feb 2017, 14:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2017, 10:14 AMHater

And that's why I often go to steam workshop and to ingame modding hub and clicking Unsubscribe while never subscribe anything.

What's the difference?

I did that a few times but I was pissed that I had to do it as a chore after everytime I played the game.

And the difference is that it should block out ALL custom content, not just SOME custom content.

I don't want any bullshit nukes or medic drops as fatalities.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★