Login

russian armor

[1v1] Wasted opportunity

23 Jan 2017, 14:56 PM

It seems that this trend is starting to eat me alive, I guess: I did very well early on, like I can out flank the enemy and cap up literally the entire map. However, I can't seem to seal it up. This one basically described it. I knew some few errors made by me like:

- Lack of mines: I was a little too busy with my pioneers, but I take no excuses.
- Panzer IV play: I threw it right away due to enemy's double AT guns, despite me already knew its existence... Shame on me.
- Unit preservation: I did pretty well at this part early game, but later on when his infantries were all upgraded, I failed to keep the momentum.

Beside that, he pretty much outplayed me late-game despite me outplayed him early on, but I still need to know what I could done differently. What could I have done to secure my victory?

P/s: I'm RoyalWeapon in the replay
30 Jan 2017, 11:14 AM

If you're still looking for a review, I can watch this later today.
30 Jan 2017, 12:15 PM

If you're still looking for a review, I can watch this later today.

Sure, go ahead! I posted it here for a reason, after all.
30 Jan 2017, 19:21 PM

Just watched it. Had FoW turned on, so I only saw what you saw during the match.

You basically just didn't have answer to the opponent's crucial units (Vickers and Centaur) when you needed them. For Centaurs see comments below. Against the two Vickers, as you skipped T1 you had no mortars for barrage/smoke but you could've deployed the officer and used his smoke ability to avoid having to constantly retreat and leave the map for the opponent to cap.

You played well in terms of map control and unit preservation up until minute 12, where you lost three units (two of them very important) within a space of like 30 seconds.

* The 251 loss was easily avoidable -- you sent it in without any infantry scouting ahead. You did this a couple of times, and on minute 12 the opponent had two 6 Pounders waiting for that and punished your overly aggressive push

* The HMG loss was just Commandos doing their thing, but you should have deployed another one to replace it -- the British infantry had freedom to roam for the rest of the match

* The Osttruppen loss was less important but also easily avoidable -- you just didn't notice, but that happens

After that you were countered by the Centaur, and that combined with two 6 Pounders meant he had a combined force that shredded your infantry and protected the unit doing it from your armour. You would've needed PzIV+Pak to kill/force the Centaur away while also pushing against 6 Pounders with your infantry, but that scenario evaporated when you lost your PzIV, so I'd say that was the most crucial moment that cost you the game. You also compounded the problems by decisions like going for a Panzergrenadier squad with Panzerschrecks, which was a big mistake against the Centaur.

Overall I would say this was just one of those matches where one mistake led to a snowball effect and cost you the game. Your commander choice (not being able to easily counter two HMGs) and losses (251, HMG and PzIV) combined with lack of Tellers (which you mentioned in the original post) was enough to leave you with very little chance of recovering.

I don't think you're going to have many matches like this because you play well, but if you have had any other games that developed similarly, feel free to post another replay and I'll have a look.
31 Jan 2017, 20:17 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Just watched it. Had FoW turned on, so I only saw what you saw during the match.

You basically just didn't have answer to the opponent's crucial units (Vickers and Centaur) when you needed them. For Centaurs see comments below. Against the two Vickers, as you skipped T1 you had no mortars for barrage/smoke but you could've deployed the officer and used his smoke ability to avoid having to constantly retreat and leave the map for the opponent to cap.

You played well in terms of map control and unit preservation up until minute 12, where you lost three units (two of them very important) within a space of like 30 seconds.

* The 251 loss was easily avoidable -- you sent it in without any infantry scouting ahead. You did this a couple of times, and on minute 12 the opponent had two 6 Pounders waiting for that and punished your overly aggressive push

* The HMG loss was just Commandos doing their thing, but you should have deployed another one to replace it -- the British infantry had freedom to roam for the rest of the match

* The Osttruppen loss was less important but also easily avoidable -- you just didn't notice, but that happens

After that you were countered by the Centaur, and that combined with two 6 Pounders meant he had a combined force that shredded your infantry and protected the unit doing it from your armour. You would've needed PzIV+Pak to kill/force the Centaur away while also pushing against 6 Pounders with your infantry, but that scenario evaporated when you lost your PzIV, so I'd say that was the most crucial moment that cost you the game. You also compounded the problems by decisions like going for a Panzergrenadier squad with Panzerschrecks, which was a big mistake against the Centaur.

Overall I would say this was just one of those matches where one mistake led to a snowball effect and cost you the game. Your commander choice (not being able to easily counter two HMGs) and losses (251, HMG and PzIV) combined with lack of Tellers (which you mentioned in the original post) was enough to leave you with very little chance of recovering.

I don't think you're going to have many matches like this because you play well, but if you have had any other games that developed similarly, feel free to post another replay and I'll have a look.

Nice :D

If you're interested in doing more replay reviews like this in the future; can you message me by PM?
I can offer you a little something. :^)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight