Login

russian armor

Early PGren Spam Strategy?

26 Jul 2013, 16:28 PM

I can deal with this strat sometimes but only with MG's, which means no Rifle Command and I hate having to build Support Kompanie early on but I don't know any other way to beat it. How else can you win against it, especially early PGren spam.
26 Jul 2013, 16:39 PM

Snipers, clown cars - 40 odd mp to reinforce and no fausts. Thats what I do anyways
26 Jul 2013, 16:47 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

26 Jul 2013, 17:18 PM

sniper and clown car sounds good, never used a sniper that way.

Shocks are out of the question though as you have to give up Hit the Dirt and PPSH's which with the current balance are vital.
26 Jul 2013, 19:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I dont agree, if you watch out for their bundled nades shocks just tear pgrens up. I ususally get 3 cons and 1 shock. I put 2 cons together and 1 with a flame engie. Fire ingores armour making it really valuable.
Then get a t70 asap
26 Jul 2013, 19:47 PM

A T70 will clear them up nicely until they get a Pak or PzSchreks.

I wouldn't say Shock Troopers, because whilst they're better head to head they lack the AV utility and cost more.
26 Jul 2013, 20:03 PM

Here is a replay of me beating a fast tier 2 without maxims:

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5854/how-to-deal-with-fast-tier-2-flamer-ht-without-mgs
27 Jul 2013, 00:55 AM

Don't like going a fast T2 on Soviets? I hate going T1. Complete trash, imo. don't see how anyone can play with just snipers and scout cars in contrast to maxims and mortars.
27 Jul 2013, 00:56 AM

I wouldn't say Shock Troopers, because whilst they're better head to head they lack the AV utility and cost more.

Good idea, but vague. Only go T3 if you have T2 to back it up. Generally, going T3 just puts you at too much of a disadvantage.

also, this is EARLY pgran spam. not 8-10 minutes in pgran spam.
27 Jul 2013, 02:00 AM

sniper and clown car sounds good, never used a sniper that way.

Shocks are out of the question though as you have to give up Hit the Dirt and PPSH's which with the current balance are vital.

I'm a keen fan of a T2 strat and let me tell you this doesn't work, I'll just get an upgunned scout car, and your sniper car will just die :P
27 Jul 2013, 12:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jul 2013, 20:03 PMCon!
Here is a replay of me beating a fast tier 2 without maxims:

http://www.coh2.org/replays/5854/how-to-deal-with-fast-tier-2-flamer-ht-without-mgs

Thanks my man, will check it out

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2013, 02:00 AMhubewa

I'm a keen fan of a T2 strat and let me tell you this doesn't work, I'll just get an upgunned scout car, and your sniper car will just die :P

It can work I feel but it would require having Guards Rifles in another Scout car next to it which is pure micro hell.

I dont agree, if you watch out for their bundled nades shocks just tear pgrens up. I ususally get 3 cons and 1 shock. I put 2 cons together and 1 with a flame engie. Fire ingores armour making it really valuable.
Then get a t70 asap

I see what you're saying but no PPSH or Hit the Dirt for the entire game means Conscripts are worthless in general. Until PPSH is a standard upgrade you have to have a commander with PPSH in it. And no commander with PPSH gives Shocks as well.

Don't like going a fast T2 on Soviets? I hate going T1. Complete trash, imo. don't see how anyone can play with just snipers and scout cars in contrast to maxims and mortars.

Check out HelpingHans replay. He shows T1 early build strategy works really well. I see most of the tournament players I've watched (in fact I think all of them) using snipers and flame trucks early and not touching the Support Building. I really find snipers vital in any games and you can't get them with Support Building.
27 Jul 2013, 12:47 PM

Yeah but getting a T70 means no SU-85 early enough to counter the end boss as I call it(Panzer tank).

It's the big balance issue with this game, Soviets have to do their build order a certain way.
27 Jul 2013, 15:21 PM

Get a T34 and a ZiS. SU-85 is the best option but it's not the only one.
30 Jul 2013, 23:58 PM

When I go tier 1 I almost always get an M3 with flamethrower engineers. The only thing you have to watch out for early are the 222 scout car with munitions upgrade or grenadiers with panzerfaust.

It generally takes time for Germans to get the munitions for a Shrek squad and if they do they lose their anti-infantry punch.

As an alternative, consider penal battalions with flamethrowers. I know it sounds strange, but at short range that flamethrower is pretty beastly against German squads of 4.

Steal an mg42?

Also with the latest patch, hit the dirt isn't going to be nearly as good as it was.
3 Aug 2013, 22:00 PM
Benefactor 351

i am also after a good way to counter this
4 Aug 2013, 07:23 AM

I find that I counter this in a number of ways.

T1 M3/flamer or M3/sniper works. Just be careful with the M3/flamer because PG smalls arms fire can sometimes kill the M3, even when your flamer is hitting them. Be careful and don't over commit just because there is no faust.

T2 3 conscripts, 1 maxim and 1 shocks also works well. Just be careful if your opponent gets out a FHT. Follow it up with a T70 or SU-76 works well.
4 Aug 2013, 14:09 PM

I've had many PGren spams lately and have found that the best way to counter now is T70.

Tech to T1 get flamer truck, deal with MG's in building (PGren spammers like to stick MG's in buildings as support units). Then get T3 and a T70. Most PGrens won't have Shreks as it's too early, then back tech to T2 for a maxim and AT. The T70 will wipe out most PGrens or make them retreat due to lack of Shreks. Then pump out more T70's or tech to T4 if you have enough resources. I prefer to spam T70's and ram any Panzers or use them as bait to go near my AT gun.
14 Aug 2013, 07:44 AM

If german player will not upg hes 251 or 221 he will have shreks much faster then t70 comes - imo best counter is to make snipers - becouse early shreks means no upg for 251.....so is rly hard to kill....snipers.
14 Aug 2013, 08:35 AM
Donator 11

i find this strat only useful when i see maxim bulletins and can expect maxim spam. that is cause you can get flamer ht pretty early. otherwise i didnt have succes with it.
Two
14 Aug 2013, 09:58 AM

I do pgren spam, things that give me the most trouble are flamers and snipers, no ht is needed. Pgrens are expensive to reinforce, and units that have the ability to insta kill are a bitch. Anything else I can charge, scare off/kill then retreat and heal.

As long as your flamer gets in cover before the pgrens are touching you its very risky to charge them, flamers make the pgrens run in all directions or pretty much stop and look the opposite way and get owned, even if you only get 1 or 2 pgrens thats 40-80mp.

Add in a sniper behind your flamer or scripts and its a right pain in the arse, as even when I get a HT I dont wana run into a bunch of at nades.

So the summary is pgrens are expensive to reinforce, take advantage of that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★