Login

russian armor

2v2 Randoms

1 Jan 2017, 23:37 PM

I had this 2v2 match and I'm not sure how I could've done better. In this game im NotGeorgeBush playing with randoms and some tips would be really appreciated.

https://www.coh2.org/replay/58341/2v2
3 Jan 2017, 17:40 PM

Hey Ober,

I will take a look at this later today and post some comments. One thing we can all work on all the time is unit preservation and smart retreating. No one is perfect at it and it should be our goal every game to only lose squads when we decide that we no longer need the squad and want to get rid of it.

I see you had a chance to play against FaHu, maybe you even got casted!
4 Jan 2017, 00:44 AM

This was a pretty good game, but to answer your question immediately about why you lost it was because you fed in AT units one at a time until he overwhelmed you. FaHu did a nice job of keeping up the pressure on you tried to set up which didn't help you.

Here's some more detail:
3:15 - Rifles retreat when they should have fired just a little longer. An early model drop on him might have given you way more early field presence. You are unlikely to be sniped on retreat by a Gren squad

Your decided to go with a four rifle build. I cannot recommend this build order. The MP bleed is too high and the waiting for units like a mortar or stuart too punishing.

You forced him to drop a Flamethrower and then picked it up with a captain, but it probably would have been better on a rifle squad, which was nearby. Not a huge deal, you just have to deal with really annoying micro problems when you tell the cpt to target vehicles forever after.

Your stuart was too passive when you first got it. Also always sweep for mines in areas where you are about to send it.

At one point you had 3 rifles and there was one MG in front, but you did not push the attack otherwise you would have taken your whole side of the map.

You upgraded to Mjr but didn't use the Mjr to cap for a long time. At least force the Mjr to stay near your troops so he can gain vet. You could have also used his barrage to force away enemies occasionally.

Jacksons are really, really good against P4's but they need a screen. You should have put something between them and enemy more often. You did get really bad RNG on the first one, that I cannot say was your fault, just bad RNG. FaHu did anticipate and had the shreks so good on him.

In the next game be careful about leaving AT guns without enough protection to keep tanks in front of them. You ended up spending ~1000 MP on AT guns and ideally you should only be buying the gun once.

It didn't help that your ally floated 1000 MP for most of the game, and ended the game with 1500.

Such a close city map is hard to move around on, be careful about being locked into a battle you cannot win.

Don't blob your RE's, even though you really want that alpha strike damage, spread them out so they can fire more than once.

It probably felt like there was nothing you could do to win, and I agree as you entered the 20th minute that was probably true. You had to rely on them to make a mistake. Instead you need to be on par or better equipped to beat them. The German late game is still very potent at times, and you saw that there. I also think it will always be an uphill game when an Ally plays like they have ~160 MP income all game, you are really going to have to outshine your opponent to stay even.

Overall you did fine, but you can improve in some areas and I think you will find that you can win games like this more often.
5 Jan 2017, 02:10 AM

Thank you very much for your insight on this match. I agree it's a good match to be casted and I hope that I play more conservative next time with my AT. Any tips on playing vs vehicles on a CQC map?
6 Jan 2017, 18:56 PM

Vehicles in CQC will be more powerful against units that depend on long range hits (AT guns, Jackson, etc.). In these cases you may find that hand held AT is more potent because you can always get within range and may even get 2 or 3 salvos off.

You should also find the use of snares is very helpful because you can get within range without issue.

When you have them use mines around blind corners, even if his sweepers detect them he won't see them until he comes around. Mines make tank pathing a nightmare because they close off already limited options.

Use the sight blockers to easily hide after getting a shot off so that infantry don't have to sit in front of tank guns and get cut to bits.

Tanks trying to limp away should occasionally be engaged to keep engineers back, but prevent you from needing to lose too much to keep them running. Once you can get your real AT units in place swarm as quickly as possible and then disengage to keep your units in as good a shape as possible.

USF is vulnerable to heavy tanks popping through and blasting away, and just as quickly disappearing. They rely on fast moving and long range AT to keep tanks at bay. First allowing them to close at the USF player's choosing and then deploying all the AT around, giving their range maximum time to deal damage as the German player tries to pull back. When a heavy tank can get in or out without this more prolonged engagement lightly armored and low health USF tanks will suffer. You can still use two Jackson's together well behind the lines to run forward and blast tanks that get too close to infantry, but their ability to move around and take flanking shots is out. However, keep in mind that when Jackson's get vet 1 you can load up AP rounds, these do more damage than standard rounds and can destroy P4's before they can even shift into reverse. If you are looking for vet you can always place a high vet squad into the tank for the maneuver and then pop them out for more regular actions. If a P4 runs into two vet 1 Jacksons it should have almost no way to escape. One Jackson can even run interference by crushing AT squads that try to close.

You can also use either the Pershing or the Wolverine from different commanders if you would like to get in close and fight it out a little better than a Jackson. Both of these units have better survivability than the Jackson and can be quite intimidating. Wolverines are especially nice since they don't break the bank, and allow you to get Lt (MGs) and Cpt (AT) tier (Mjr with that cmdr only if you actually need the Mjr).

Finally, artillery can be very powerful on maps with choke points. Since you know the few approaches a tank can make you can cover these and let the artillery beat away at units around the tank. You can win games when the opponent either has no way to cap points (for most factions no infantry), or cannot repair anything so cannot afford to engage you at their choosing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★