Login

russian armor

My Soviet Late Game Sucks...Need Help

25 Jul 2013, 13:54 PM

If I don't outright dominate in the first 20 minutes of a game, I always seem to lose. I understand that the Soviets need to take advantage of their natural early game strengths, and I often do. It's not uncommon for me to hold 2/3 of the map, including both fuels for the better part of the early game. I have a few different strategies that I use, but they are flexible enough that I'm able to react with the appropriate counters (if I don't already have them).

I either go T1-T3-T4 (two Conscripts, two flamer clown cars, Guards Rifles, T-70, SU-85) or T1-T4 (substituting two snipers for T-70). Armored cars and FHTs don't give me that much trouble, I'm usually able to handle them with AT Nades and Guards Rifles. And I don't get completely pushed off when the first P4 hits as I'm always sure to have an SU-85 ready soon after. But at this point my opponent is usually able to return the map to 50/50. Even with the VP and resource advantage I've held to that point, it all seems to go bad from here.

Sometimes, I just can't crack the combined arms that the Ostheer have managed to build up due to their linear teching (while I've skipped T2 and have a "hole" in my army as a result). And sometimes, it's Opel Blitz and Strafe.

Has anyone else found themselves in this position as the Soviets? And what are you doing to retake the advantage?
25 Jul 2013, 14:17 PM

Have you saved any replays? This would help a lot...
25 Jul 2013, 14:34 PM

And sometimes, it's Opel Blitz and Strafe.

There's your problem right there. You played fine did everything you could, but they used the super powered over the top Opel and Strafe.

I played a game the other day, had 3 quarters of the map, guy was literally turtling all game but the points he did have were impossible to attack as they were full of bunkers, PG's with shreks, MG's everywhere. He had 75 points left on the clock, mine was full, but I lost. Only found out why after the replay. He had Opel Blitz ticking over the whole time. Massed PG's with Shreks and 2 Panzers. When he did finally attack, I had no SU 85's left and most of my army was gone just trying to get through his impenetrable lines. It sucked I played so hard and he played so little yet he won.

Maybe I should have set mines everywhere and just made defensive positions but it was too late. The problem isn't how you play your game it's the fact that Opel Blitz is pathetic and totally unfair if a player abuses its power like they all try to.

Rant over lol.
25 Jul 2013, 14:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2013, 14:17 PMCeza
Have you saved any replays? This would help a lot...

I have one from last night that I'll post later.
25 Jul 2013, 15:46 PM

here are my tips since well they are tips not suggestions.

rifle guard in cars are good for hunting opel trucks. and its easy to know if a sector has an opel by the color.

bunkers are easy to kill with at or su. use their range.

use your mortars to bombard his camping also katyusha. let him know than turtling is not an option. i all ways do this when i perceive a turtle behavior.

you could go for a commander with a recon run or the interceptor skill. to know what your enemy is building and prepare for it.
25 Jul 2013, 17:40 PM

... and its easy to know if a sector has an opel by the color.

The color on the mini-map? How does it change?
25 Jul 2013, 20:51 PM

There's your problem right there. You played fine did everything you could, but they used the super powered over the top Opel and Strafe.

I played a game the other day, had 3 quarters of the map, guy was literally turtling all game but the points he did have were impossible to attack as they were full of bunkers, PG's with shreks, MG's everywhere. He had 75 points left on the clock, mine was full, but I lost. Only found out why after the replay. He had Opel Blitz ticking over the whole time. Massed PG's with Shreks and 2 Panzers. When he did finally attack, I had no SU 85's left and most of my army was gone just trying to get through his impenetrable lines. It sucked I played so hard and he played so little yet he won.

Maybe I should have set mines everywhere and just made defensive positions but it was too late. The problem isn't how you play your game it's the fact that Opel Blitz is pathetic and totally unfair if a player abuses its power like they all try to.

Rant over lol.

ya bro opel truck overpowered. they are LITERALLY impossible to deal. same with MG bunkers, they're WAY, WAY too strong. relic needs to fix MG bunkers and opel trucks.

25 Jul 2013, 20:58 PM
Patrion 26

The color on the mini-map? How does it change?

I becomes orange
26 Jul 2013, 08:27 AM

Permanently Banned
get good late game
26 Jul 2013, 08:51 AM

I becomes orange

Even more obvious than this is the fact that the sector gets a thick border around it if the opel is there. This is more useful imo, since you need los on the sector to see the orange colour.

Also, you can see the little boxes that the opel unloads even through the fog of war, so you should know where in the sector the truck is set up.

With regards to strafe, it really is worth getting the AA ht. You probably won't shoot down the plane on the first fly over, but you will prevent the thing from doing 20 sweeps.
26 Jul 2013, 10:27 AM

Snipers, scripts, guards, SU-85s, Katyusha. The best combined arms in the game, really.
31 Jul 2013, 00:11 AM

What units does the enemy come at you with? If you have two su-85s working together you can pretty much deal with all armor threats unless it's really serious.

Are you bunching up your troops in a massive infantry blob? I find that strategy bleeds too much manpower over time. Try to space them out as best as you can and only cap VPs using one squad at a time.

Other than that, you can try getting a supertank commander such as guard-motor or frontlines tactics. If you are at such an advantage in the early game, you can try knocking them out with a flamethrower KV with SU-85 support. Not too many things can deal with that. Very fuel heavy investment though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★