Login

russian armor

[3 v 3] Lazur Factory, late game struggle

2 Nov 2016, 21:03 PM

Hello,
In this game, I'm th Soviets.
This is a rather long replay, because we had a stalemate for some time. I tried to make a break and failed, but they did not seem to have the guts to counter-attack. And then, more or less half into the game, the opponent managed to make it to "our" side of the river. Then they rolled in with heavy armor and that was pretty much it - without throwing all our forces at them, we would not stand a chance. They slowly bled us anyway.
What could we have done to win this? I don't mean defending the point that we lost at the very end, leaving it was a stupid mistake (but mines ALMOST killed that Tiger! And they would have captured a second point anyway in a minute or so) - but how could we have pushed back that heavy armor in the South-East corner? I am quite surprised they did not roll over us instantly.

I have this urge to finally win a game...
3 Nov 2016, 16:00 PM

Hi kukunamuniu I will take a look at this later today or tomorrow.

Just so you know, Lazur factory favors the Germans if they have an elephant or JagdTiger since it is just a waiting game with no way to flank. I would turn it off if I was you and playing Allies. Sometimes maps favor one side or the the other.
3 Nov 2016, 21:07 PM

I just had the same situatuion on General Mud - 2 Soviet + UKF, when the enemy rolled into us with King Tigers and a lot of Panthers, we just didn't have enough firepower to counter that.The UKF player quit, but I doubt he would be helpful - if we took one point, the opponents would just re-take a different one.
3 Nov 2016, 21:45 PM

One at a time kuku. I can already give you quite a bit of feedback on your first game.

General thoughts:

There are far too many times where units sit idle and do nothing. You are paying upkeep on all units on the field they need to be fighting or working to bleed your opponents MP or they are losing you the game. It got so bad you actually had a tank sitting in your base for multiple minutes at one time.

Your unit preservation was very minimal. You need to be regularly having vet 3 squads be part of you army. If you are not there is a problem.

You are treating every problem like a nail and you have to hammer it. You massed MGs, then tanks, then mortars, then tanks again. The build order doesn't even really make sense. Why would you mass mortars at the 30 minute mark in a game? You need to counter your opponents play style.

You are not using your doctrine, basically at all. You have guards motor and are floating +1000 munitions. Where is the mark target? Where are the mines? Demo charges? DPs and guards? AT nades? Crew repairs?

You invest extremely, and I mean extremely, heavily in AT guns for no apparent reason. At one point you have 3 guns and 2 tanks, and you are facing only infantry. It is a huge waste of MP.

You are static, static, static. Even when you managed to make breakthroughs, which took too long to coordiante, you did not exploit them. In fact, after breaking through you did not even crew repair tanks or reinforce squads so the next engagement you lost automatically since your opponent retreat to base.

Here is what I recommend:

In static games, and this map tends to produce them, build up enough AT to hold off your opponent, but no necessarily overwhelm him. In the meantime spend your resources on artillery. You should have had at least 2 or 3 Kats rocketing everything.

Be more flexible in your thinking. Look for openings, keep pushing, and retreat as soon as the battle is lost. Do not have squads with few members and low health push forward.

Don't tech to something you don't need. You teched to T3 at the 6 minute mark, never built anything from it and got healing at the same time. At that point you had a partially injured consript. At the same time you had more than 1000 MP in units sitting and waiting for commands. You should have teched to T3 only just before T4 if you wanted T34s. You should also not get healing unless you need it.

Think before you build. If your opponent is going heavy MGs as you saw, and has no plan to move mobile squads and a mortar will easily hold your side while you bombard him with mortars.

You repaired, I think, 1 tank all game. Tanks are not disposable. Perishable, but not disposable.

Be bold. Attack early, and attack often. The best defense is a good offense. Do not blob, keep your units spread out.

The late game German armor ultimately won because your team ran into it until you ran out of MP faster than the Germans. Bleed them with artillery you have plenty of it.

Those are my thoughts right now. I would focus very heavily on unit preservation in your next few games and see if the outcome of the matches doesn't change for you.
4 Nov 2016, 12:55 PM

Wow, that's a lot of feedback! I'll keep that in mind for my next games, thanks!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★